If we’re lucky, we’ll be as hale and hearty at age 88 as Doc Watson is. Joined by longtime partners bassist T. Michael Coleman and David Holt on guitar and banjo, Watson captivated a worshipful, near-capacity Birchmere crowd for two hours on Sunday night with only a 15 minute intermission. His voice was still strong […]
Merle Haggard is at an age when most of his contemporaries are enjoying retirement. At 74, the grizzled singer may have lost some hair, but he hasn’t lost his country chops, as he proved Monday night in front of a worshipful crowd that included everyone from little girls in tutus and cowboy boots to guys […]
To say that the Bluegrass Underground concert series is held in one of the more unique concert locations is an understatement of magnificent proportions. Some several miles out of the whopping metropolis of McMinnville, Tennessee—population 13,000 or so—is a bluegrass concert series that is held once a month underground. 333 feet below ground at Cumberland […]
Being six months pregnant in the sauna that is a Washington, DC summer—after a transcontinental flight and sleeping in a tour bus bunk—seems, well, pretty miserable. You wouldn’t know it by looking at Kasey Chambers, though. Her Saturday night show at Alexandria, Virgina’s Birchmere was an hour and forty minutes of pure delight thanks to […]
For the first twenty minutes of his show at Nashville’s Mercy Lounge, Texas singer-songwriter Hayes Carll didn’t care much for small talk. Songs like “Hard Out Here” and “Trouble in Mind” passed by with barely a word uttered between them. Carll’s clever brand of country-rock, featuring incisive songwriting reminiscent of heroes Ray Wylie Hubbard and […]
As I settled into my seat at Garth Brooks’ third show in two nights on Dec. 17, a large woman disrupted the peace. She scooted past me, shivering with excitement. “I’ve been waiting my whole life for this,” she yelped while touching my arm. “I might cry.” An older lady seated next to me gaffed […]
“Light blue or dark blue shirt?” I asked my girlfriend Kristen as we hurriedly prepared for the CMAs. “It says on the ticket that evening/business attire is required—or else they kick you out.” “Oh please,” she responded. “If that were the case, they probably wouldn’t let Brad Paisley in.” Ah, the CMA Music Awards—the one […]
After 50 years of fostering and honing the chops of singers and songwriters in Nashville, Tootsies finally got the celebration it deserves. Revered as a breeding ground for Nashville’s music machine, the venerable honky tonk on Lower Broadway simply teems with character and legend. And all of those who gathered to celebrate at the Ryman […]
The journey that started four days ago certainly didn’t finish on a sour note. The final night of music at the Americana Music Festival was—again—full of talent, making for another difficult decision as to what to cover. Lo and behold, my intuition—and a diverse lineup—led me to the Cannery Ballroom and Mercy Lounge. Fairfield Four […]
Americana Music Festival goers didn’t even get a chance to settle down after a surprise 30-minute Robert Plant performance at the Awards Show before more showcases around town fired back up. Tonight’s venue of choice was the Mercy Lounge–where both Dale Watson and Wanda Jackson took the stage. For a guy who wrote tunes like […]
- A.B.: I think I understand why the eating disorder facility wants to be located there besides it being the former Cash …
- Janice Brooks: Hopes somebody gets those memos about drinking songs. Meanwhile I'm feeling a lot of slots with Bluegrass.
- Leeann: Great news about Ricky Skaggs and Sharon White's duet album! Absolutely appalling about the Keith Urban concert!! Both the rape and …
- bob: I found the Billboard article about country music radio needing an alcohol intervention interesting. Songwriter Adam Wright is quoted as …
- Matt: Definitely agree with C.M. about Maddie & Tae. Certainly not the tidal wave of change some claimed it is or …
- Dave D.: Good stuff, as always. My copy of Producing Country arrived yesterday, and it looks to be as good as …
- Scooter: I agree Holly Williams can do no wrong in my eyes. Such a good album and great to see live …
- Carrie Mclaughlin: Your my Hero Mr. Jim Lauderdale!!! Come to Alaska Please? hehehehe
- Jeremy Dylan: You should check it out Dave D. It's from the first (and strongest) season.
- Leeann: Wow! I love that Holly William's cover of "No Surrender"! She's gotten to be so good.