Grass Valley is one of those quaint Northern California towns wedged right between the beautiful Sierra Nevada Mountains and the Sacramento Valley. It teases with its pine trees, but isn’t quite high enough in elevation to escape the brutal 100+ degree days prevalent in the summer months. With the outside temperatures hovering near 95 as […]
If you get the chance to see John Fullbright on tour this summer, don’t pass it up, because it’ll probably be the last time he plays such small venues. The Grammy-nominated singer-songwriter captivated a Wednesday night crowd at Jammin’ Java, a gem of a club hidden in a strip mall in the D.C. suburbs. Kicking […]
I go to a lot of shows – between 75-100 a year – but I don’t think I’ve ever seen a band make playing music look as effortless as The Time Jumpers did Thursday night at their first performance in Washington, DC (a town that Vince Gill praised for its vibrant country and bluegrass history, […]
In these days of loops and ProTools, where pitch correction and rhythmic smoothing define the process of “making music,” the notion of old school recording is an awkward proposition. Antiquated or authentic? Emblematic of talent or rigidly clinging to what was from fear of the future? Leave it to honey-blonde Ashley Monroe, an East Tennessee […]
The tight-knit Washington, DC bluegrass scene is something of a family, complete with its old salts, drunk uncles, and upstart young’uns, and radio station WAMU’s Bluegrass Country is the table around which everybody gathers. In keeping with that spirit, to celebrate 45 years of broadcasting, Bluegrass Country invited two of the genre’s best family acts […]
The Kennedy Center is a rather opulent venue for a folk music concert, even if the concert is celebrating one of the 20th century’s most important singer-songwriters. But the two dozen musicians that took the stage Sunday night filled the large concert hall with a joyful noise that surely rattled the chandeliers. Woody Guthrie’s “100th […]
It’s fitting that The SteelDrivers, with all their songs of murder and mayhem, would perform at a venue named after Alexander Hamilton, who infamously ended up on the wrong side of a bullet. The ‘Drivers’ Sunday night show at The Hamilton, a new roots music venue in DC, was two fantastic hours of bluegrass punctuated […]
For a few hours, a concert hall was temporarily transformed into a church, thanks to singer-songwriters Ruthie Foster and Paul Thorn, who brought their “Soul Salvation Tour” to the Birchmere in Alexandria, Virginia last Wednesday. Thorn won the audience over in the first seconds of his 45 minute set as he said, in a raspy […]
Those running short on seasonal cheer in the DC metro area last night would have felt at home at the Birchmere, where Americana husband and wife duo Over the Rhine (Linford Detweiler on piano and guitar and guitarist/lead singer Karin Bergquist, joined by a drummer and a lap steel/harmonica player) played as part of their […]
If you’re a fan of live music, chances are that you’ve got a list of regrets – acts that you never got to see in concert, and now it’s too late. I’ve got more than a few names on that list, chief of which was Foster and Lloyd. Their debut album was the first cassette […]
- Dave W.: Just read the news here. Will miss E145 very much - love this site. All the best to you Juli …
- Leeann Ward: Oh, dang! This is real. Farewell to the most generous, informative, quality, intelligent, consistent, ethical country music blog! You …
- bll: Thanks Juli for all the great articles and information; you'll be missed by me and I suss several others. Best …
- Both Kinds of Music: I hope people appreciate the irony that one of the best "Americana" albums is titled Metamodern Sounds in COUNTRY Music.
- Barry Mazor: I would not rule out that possibility..There's a different set of voters involved..
- Dana M: Does anyone else think that Brandy Clark actually has a good chance of winning since this isn't a country awards …
- Juli Thanki: UPDATE: Brandy Clark got a Best New Artist nom. BEST AMERICANA ALBUM: Rosanne Cash -- The River & The Thread John Hiatt -- Terms …
- luckyoldsun: Glenn Campbell is great and I'd love to see him get an award, but the words of that song may …
- Casey Penn: Juli, it was an honor to write for you here on Engine145.com. You're good at what you do, and The …
- bob: Go Brandy FGL - Just go away.