In a world where faster, better, louder and especially newer matters, the 46th Annual Country Music Association Awards nominations speak eloquently to that truth. But as the dust from the nominations settles, the realization that it’s not just that truth, but the notion that many of the genre’s bedrock acts for more than two decades […]
At the height of the alternative country scare in the mid- to late- nineties, Iris DeMent became one the most revered singers claimed by the field—although you would most likely find her CDs for sale in the folk bins (they had bins in those days), and since she regularly stunned audiences live and on […]
There comes a time when the success one has is heavier than the reality of being suspended where one is. For Taylor Swift, with her catching-on-the-notes little girl voice, the break-out at 15 meant speaking truth to reality for a world of girls who’d been marginalized for their wide eyes, Hello Kitty backpacks and youth. […]
A half-year in which such major contributors, true giants, as Kitty Wells, Earl Scruggs and Doc Watson are suddenly no longer with us (among too many others, it sure seems, lately), could produce a major case of seasonal distress disorder in itself for a lot of us, Meanwhile, so many have been taking to […]
A legion of country music legends and industry professionals expressed their admiration for Country Music Hall of Famer Kitty Wells after her death this week at the age of 92. Rightly heralded as Queen of Country Music, she was a ground-breaking force who challenging authority even as she maintained a traditionally feminine image. No less […]
There’s much that all genres and sub-genres along the American roots music space-time continuum have in common, from the most overtly pop and polished mainstream country to the most obscure flavor of traditional regional folklore or edgy roots rock. Inevitably, their fans have much in common, too—most basically, enjoying hearing favored artists take their […]
Country fans have long since noticed (and sometimes complained) that the ACM and CMA awards shows feature pretty much the same star acts and hits of the year. That was hardly the case back in the mid-1960s, as pointed out in the Country Hall of Fame and Museum’s major new exhibition, The Bakersfield Sound: Buck Owens, […]
Keeping up with the sheer volume of new releases that might be of interest to people reading this column is always a challenge, practically impossible, and while I don’t plan to do it often, I figure that one way to play some catch-up here is just to line up some brief comments on recent releases […]
It is always during a crisis of faith where Bruce Springsteen burns the brightest. Whether the young man straining at the reins of Born To Run, the high stakes legal battle/state of the original blue collar erosion Darkness on the Edge of Town, the failing of “til death do us part” Tunnel of Love and […]
Give it to Bon Iver – or rather Justin Vernon, who anchors the atmospheric songscapers. When the big-time network TV folks decided to come up with a way to stage his kind of “obscure music” to the bing-bang-boom conditioned viewership, he balked. If his songs were good enough to help his loose coalition of players […]
- Country fan: Hunter is very good, I wish he would do some traditional country music.
- Luckyoldsun: Well, Hunter plays a mean accordion on Jambalaya!
- Country fan: Merle is one of the greatest talents in music.
- Country fan: Could not agree more with Bruce !
- Janice Brooks: The Kenny and Amanda Smith track is in rotation her. Hoping for a promo from Brennen and Noel.
- SunsetPark: www.dictionary.com today has "5 Famous Words of Country Music" on their front page. It includes honky-tonk (with a reference …
- BRUCE: Florida Georgia Line, Hunter Hayes, Jason Aldean and Luke Bryan. These are the CMT Artists of the Year? Folks, it's …
- Janice Brooks: I'm happy with the Grammy list as usual. Don't overlook the Doc Watson album. As far as Bonnie R's …
- BRUCE: I missed no point whatsoever. Please re-read. By-the=way, I didn't miss the point about their positive review. However, I rarely …
- Luckyoldsun: Bruce, And I was making the broader point that you're missing the forest for the trees. A widely read national web publication …