Merle Haggard marked a birthday Sunday, his 77th. He celebrated the occasion with an appearance on CBS’s Academy of Country Music awards show, where George Strait and Miranda Lambert performed a medley of his hits and where Haggard was presented with something called the Crystal Milestone Award by Garth Brooks, one of its former honorees. […]
Last column, I alerted you to the new Shanachie DVD release You Are There, since released, which puts some of the hard-to-find and legitimately collected filmed performances of traditionalist country artists such as the Louvin Brothers and Sam & Kirk McGee on one disc. Those performances were culled from the 92 half hours of what […]
When Loretta Lynn cut the records that transformed her into a first-rank country star, she was still touring as the featured “girl singer” for brother team Teddy and Doyle Wilburn. By late 1966, though, her back-to-back grown-woman hits “You Ain’t Woman Enough” and “Don’t Come Home a-Drinkin’ (with Lovin’ on Your Mind)” put her in […]
I’ve got a slew of very worthwhile new roots music material to bring to your attention in this catch-up column, some recently released and some just about to come out, and I’ll just get right at it, by the batch: African-American women really mixing it up This is one ripe season for provocative, engaging new […]
The idea for “Here You Come Again” came to me late last year as I was completing my ballot for the Nashville Scene’s annual Country Music Critics Poll. One of the categories that poll runner Geoffrey Himes always asks for is the year’s “Top Five Country Reissues,” and as I pulled together my picks, it […]
When you’re in the middle of a lively, exciting music scene, it tends to seem natural, inevitable, and bound to last. And then time happens. The scene and the music it thrived around evolve or fade away; what was exciting about them, how they seemed to matter, and, eventually, what they even were become points […]
One lesser-mentioned Ray Price life and career accomplishment to celebrate and remember now is that he came to be able to say “yes.” There are fans, to this day, who will go to great lengths to tell you how much they honor shuffle king Ray’s driving 1950s hits, the likes of “My Shoes Keep Walking […]
You’ve probably seen, hanging in some dive bar or hardware store or rec room, one of those signs that reads “There’s no other place exactly like this place anywhere near this place, so this must be the place.” Well, place matters in roots music—and not just by that process of elimination. Recent events, talks and […]
All things considered (and with Merle there’s a lot to consider) it seems to me that there’s no one in the long, wide story of country music who’s proved to have been more gifted or contributed more to it over time than Merle Haggard—as songwriter, singer, bandleader, record maker, and champion of musical heroes. For […]
You may have figured you’d never see those two names together in any headline of any sort ever. Well, today’s the day. It’s not just timing that connects them—though a retrospective exhibit on Ms. McEntire’s entire career self-presentation, Reba: All the Women I Am, has just opened at the Country Hall here, and Mr. Fulks […]
- Joe Mekler: Not only is this a fun tune with an unusual form but it is politically appropriate for the present times!
- Paul W Dennis: Moot Davis deserves much wider success than he's had thus far. I have a couple of his albums and they …
- Ron Estepp: Great toe tapper, dance song and straight lyrics. I need more!
- Arlene: Another loss. Here's one of my favorite Jesse Winchester performances: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5uKGWpqnS8E
- bob: I like that Wendy Colonna song. I'll have to check out more of her music. I have the 2 Delbert & …
- Ken Morton, Jr.: Holy moly, that Peter Cooper article on Ray Price is a doozy. I haven't yet had a chance to listen …
- Juli Thanki: Update from The Commercial Appeal: One of music’s sweetest voices and most incisive songwriters, Jesse Winchester, has died. The 69 …
- Barry Mazor: A very good case could be made that the Newport "Folk" festival is now an Americana festival--the two not …
- TexasVet: Here's Bonnie Raitt, Emmylou Harris & Carrie Underwood singing "Blue Bayou" Last night at the Rock and Roll Hall of …
- Jeff Miller: That Peter Cooper double shot is powerful!