New Rounder Records box set American Radical Patriot is a super-sized treat not only for fans of Woody Guthrie’s music, but for anyone with an interest in early 20th century American history. It is a stunning collection of music and stories that complicates the legend of the iconic folksinger, a communist-sympathizer who also served in […]
After last year’s stellar collaboration with The Waco Brothers, The Great Chicago Fire, singer-songwriter Paul Burch returns with Fevers, his debut on fledgling label Plowboy Records and his first solo release since 2011’s Buddy Holly tribute, Words of Love. Co-produced with multi-instrumentalist Fats Kaplin one of the original members of Burch’s WPA Ballclub band, Fevers […]
Equal parts riveting backstory and ravishing beauty, Kellie Pickler would seem like a music marketer’s dream. In fact, she’s already made quite an impression with television audiences. An American Idol finalist in 2006, she continued her reality-show winning streak by taking home the mirror ball on Dancing with the Stars last spring. Instead, Pickler had been at risk of […]
Ron Block, long known for his decades as superb banjoist and guitarist for Alison Krauss and Union Station, released this past summer his third solo album for Rounder Records, Walking Song. Block takes the opportunity, with this project, to focus most heavily on his talents as a singer, producer and musician. In doing so, he […]
“There will be angels; there will be devils / I will be in between,” sings Lindi Ortega on “I Want You.” That lyric can easily be applied to the Canadian singer-songwriter’s soprano, which can veer from a Dolly Parton lilt to a fierce rockabilly shout in the space of a breath, a skill that’s enabled […]
In 2000, O’Brien and Scott got together to record the modern classic Real Time, which showcased their deft, canny songwriting as well as their deeply honed musical vision as steeped in mountain music and bluegrass as in country and rock and roll. On last year’s collection of live performances, We’re Usually a Lot Better Than […]
If you close your eyes when you put the needle down on Sarah Jarosz’s third album, you’ll swear you’re listening to Joni Mitchell–especially her Hejira album, one moment–Diana Krall’s smoky and seductive voice at another moment, or Maria Muldaur’s sultry, languorous vocals in the next moment. Yet, it’s Mitchell that Jarosz most resembles in her […]
After a string of #1 songs, Chris Young released “Neon,” one of the best songs of his career. A gorgeous, traditional country tune drenched in steel guitar, it was one of 2011’s best singles. “Neon” didn’t even crack the Top 20 on the Billboard charts. In fact, it’s been two years since Young had a […]
While pickin’ against the clock is the chosen way of many a bluegrass band, country great Alan Jackson has shown a knack for taking his sweet time. Rather than racing towards finish lines or pushing the boundaries of the genre, the self-professed “singer of simple songs” seems to relish every note, every solo break and […]
Brian Wright carries the weight of the many chains that have bound him in the past and out of which he breaks on this new album, shaking those iron fetters like Marley’s ghost come to call us to the blues of future past with a vision of the specters that haunt our lives: death, misdirected […]
- Dave W.: Just read the news here. Will miss E145 very much - love this site. All the best to you Juli …
- Leeann Ward: Oh, dang! This is real. Farewell to the most generous, informative, quality, intelligent, consistent, ethical country music blog! You …
- bll: Thanks Juli for all the great articles and information; you'll be missed by me and I suss several others. Best …
- Both Kinds of Music: I hope people appreciate the irony that one of the best "Americana" albums is titled Metamodern Sounds in COUNTRY Music.
- Barry Mazor: I would not rule out that possibility..There's a different set of voters involved..
- Dana M: Does anyone else think that Brandy Clark actually has a good chance of winning since this isn't a country awards …
- Juli Thanki: UPDATE: Brandy Clark got a Best New Artist nom. BEST AMERICANA ALBUM: Rosanne Cash -- The River & The Thread John Hiatt -- Terms …
- luckyoldsun: Glenn Campbell is great and I'd love to see him get an award, but the words of that song may …
- Casey Penn: Juli, it was an honor to write for you here on Engine145.com. You're good at what you do, and The …
- bob: Go Brandy FGL - Just go away.