The tree is trimmed, the stockings are hung, and Black Friday shoppers have successfully reenacted a trashier version of Gladiator. What else is there to do this holiday season but crank up the stereo? Here are a few albums we’ve been enjoying lately. Mindy Smith – Snowed In Mindy Smith’s new five-song EP (three classics, two […]
New Rounder Records box set American Radical Patriot is a super-sized treat not only for fans of Woody Guthrie’s music, but for anyone with an interest in early 20th century American history. It is a stunning collection of music and stories that complicates the legend of the iconic folksinger, a communist-sympathizer who also served in […]
After last year’s stellar collaboration with The Waco Brothers, The Great Chicago Fire, singer-songwriter Paul Burch returns with Fevers, his debut on fledgling label Plowboy Records and his first solo release since 2011’s Buddy Holly tribute, Words of Love. Co-produced with multi-instrumentalist Fats Kaplin one of the original members of Burch’s WPA Ballclub band, Fevers […]
Equal parts riveting backstory and ravishing beauty, Kellie Pickler would seem like a music marketer’s dream. In fact, she’s already made quite an impression with television audiences. An American Idol finalist in 2006, she continued her reality-show winning streak by taking home the mirror ball on Dancing with the Stars last spring. Instead, Pickler had been at risk of […]
Ron Block, long known for his decades as superb banjoist and guitarist for Alison Krauss and Union Station, released this past summer his third solo album for Rounder Records, Walking Song. Block takes the opportunity, with this project, to focus most heavily on his talents as a singer, producer and musician. In doing so, he […]
“There will be angels; there will be devils / I will be in between,” sings Lindi Ortega on “I Want You.” That lyric can easily be applied to the Canadian singer-songwriter’s soprano, which can veer from a Dolly Parton lilt to a fierce rockabilly shout in the space of a breath, a skill that’s enabled […]
In 2000, O’Brien and Scott got together to record the modern classic Real Time, which showcased their deft, canny songwriting as well as their deeply honed musical vision as steeped in mountain music and bluegrass as in country and rock and roll. On last year’s collection of live performances, We’re Usually a Lot Better Than […]
If you close your eyes when you put the needle down on Sarah Jarosz’s third album, you’ll swear you’re listening to Joni Mitchell–especially her Hejira album, one moment–Diana Krall’s smoky and seductive voice at another moment, or Maria Muldaur’s sultry, languorous vocals in the next moment. Yet, it’s Mitchell that Jarosz most resembles in her […]
After a string of #1 songs, Chris Young released “Neon,” one of the best songs of his career. A gorgeous, traditional country tune drenched in steel guitar, it was one of 2011′s best singles. “Neon” didn’t even crack the Top 20 on the Billboard charts. In fact, it’s been two years since Young had a […]
While pickin’ against the clock is the chosen way of many a bluegrass band, country great Alan Jackson has shown a knack for taking his sweet time. Rather than racing towards finish lines or pushing the boundaries of the genre, the self-professed “singer of simple songs” seems to relish every note, every solo break and […]
- Leeann Ward: I'll just go ahead and say it. I was impressed with how well Carrie did with the singing. I'm a …
- TexasVet: From MusicRow: Underwood’s ‘The Sound of Music Live!’ Brings In 19.3 Million Viewers earned NBC its biggest audience on the night …
- nm: I'd love to see a version of TSoM that managed to sneak in a new number or two based on …
- Barry Mazor: That any version of "Sound of Music" would be "trying to replace the cats of the movie" is an hysterically …
- TexasVet: The Von Trapps had some stinging comments concerning Underwood’s “Spound of Music” part. I think they pose some legitimate …
- tncheesehead: reading the story behind the Paisley/Underwood lawsuit I would guess that yes the idea was stolen - too many coincidences …
- BRUCE: Interesting lawsuit against Paisley & Underwood plus Sony. It will be interesting to see how this plays out. The Von Trapps …
- Country fan: Hunter is very good, I wish he would do some traditional country music.
- Luckyoldsun: Well, Hunter plays a mean accordion on Jambalaya!
- Country fan: Merle is one of the greatest talents in music.