Carrie Underwood Records Song for ‘Narnia’ Movie; Norah Jones’ “Creepin’ In” with Dolly Parton; Carter’s Chord’s Christmas Collection
- Carrie Underwood co-wrote a new song titled “There’s a Place For Us” for the upcoming film The Chronicles of Narnia: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader. Stream it, if you’d like, over at NashvilleGab.
- Am I still allowed to mention The Fabulous Ginn Sisters on a country blog? They mention a change in sound from countryish to rock, and Fred Eaglesmith may have played a role:
According to Britani, Eaglesmith’s production of Bad Girl brought crucial veteran expertise to the Ginns’ evolving sound, while Tiffani points out that touring with Eaglesmith for two years didn’t hurt.
“We were on the road with Fred, playing with a rock & roll band every night while continuing to write music,” explains Tiffani. “We didn’t plan to make an album; we went to just record some songs. Once we went in, we didn’t finish until the record was done.
The Austin Chronicle‘s Raoul Hernandez gave the result three-and-a-half stars.
- Carter’s Chord released a new Christmas EP on Tuesday. (Amazon | iTunes) (via That Nashville Sound)
- Farce the Music provided an upclose look at Jennifer Nettles‘ tattoo.
- American Songwriter‘s Matt Popkin rated the new album from The Secret Sisters four stars.
- She’s known as a lot of different things to a lot of different people, but it’s for her book program, The Imagination Library, that Dolly Parton received the title of “The Book Lady.” The program distributes one free book a month to every child from birth to age 5 in more than a thousand communities across the country. Nashville Scene has more details, including an interview with Parton.
- Jamey Johnson signed on to open Kid Rock‘s Born Free tour.
- When Bob Lefsetz likes something, he really likes it, which is the case for Keith Urban‘s new record Get Closer.
I almost couldn’t make it all the way through, I needed to write and tell you how good “Georgia Woods” is. If you’re the kind of person who loves rock music, who nodded his head to the Marshall Tucker Band, who likes to move his whole body with the groove of the track, this is for you!
And about halfway through, Keith starts to wail…and yes, he can wail. This is not a case of studio fakery. I’ve seen this guy live. He can wring the notes out. He hits every one. And, unlike Brad Paisley, the material is not sophomoric, it doesn’t make you wince, it’s more than serviceable, it’s really good!
- Congrats to Ken Morton Jr. and That Nashville Sound for reaching the 2,000 posts milestone.
- Rascal Flatts performed an exclusive live set for The Yahoo! Country Music Blog.
- Since retiring from touring as one-half of Brooks & Dunn, Kix Brooks has taken up acting. His first part is in an independent film by the name of Thriftstore Cowboy.
“It’s a pretty cool movie,” he said. “Kinda like a darker version of Urban Cowboy. I’m [playing] a bad guy–he’s not all bad in the end, but he’s hooked up with some really bad guys and he’s trying to hang with them.”
- Enough money was raised using Kickstarter to fund the production of a DVD for Charlie Louvin.
- Enjoy two-stepping honky-tonk with a rebellious edge? The Austin Chronicle‘s Jim Caligiuri says the new Whitey Morgan and the 78‘s self-titled Bloodshot Records debut is for you.
- On Tuesday, Norah Jones released an 18-song collection of collaborations from the past decade, including duets with Dolly Parton and Willie Nelson. Here’s a promo video for the duet with Parton on the song “Creepin’ In.” Here’s a full album stream. And here’s a link to purchase the album on Amazon.
- Dave W.: Just read the news here. Will miss E145 very much - love this site. All the best to you Juli …
- Leeann Ward: Oh, dang! This is real. Farewell to the most generous, informative, quality, intelligent, consistent, ethical country music blog! You …
- bll: Thanks Juli for all the great articles and information; you'll be missed by me and I suss several others. Best …
- Both Kinds of Music: I hope people appreciate the irony that one of the best "Americana" albums is titled Metamodern Sounds in COUNTRY Music.
- Barry Mazor: I would not rule out that possibility..There's a different set of voters involved..
- Dana M: Does anyone else think that Brandy Clark actually has a good chance of winning since this isn't a country awards …
- Juli Thanki: UPDATE: Brandy Clark got a Best New Artist nom. BEST AMERICANA ALBUM: Rosanne Cash -- The River & The Thread John Hiatt -- Terms …
- luckyoldsun: Glenn Campbell is great and I'd love to see him get an award, but the words of that song may …
- Casey Penn: Juli, it was an honor to write for you here on Engine145.com. You're good at what you do, and The …
- bob: Go Brandy FGL - Just go away.