Carrie Underwood Invited to Become Grand Ole Opry Member: Can I Say “I Told You So?”
Randy Travis surprised Carrie Underwood on the Grand Ole Opry stage last night after she finished singing her cover of “I Told You So” and asked Underwood to become the newest member of the Grand Ole Opry. A tearful Carrie accepted the Opry’s invitation.
If you’re a regular The 9513 reader, this is old news. I wrote way back on October 19th, after Josh Turner’s invitation to join the Opry, that Carrie would be the next artist invited. Only the surprise induction of veteran Charlie Daniels in January seperated my prediction and Carrie’s invitation.
But enough gloating. After a two-year drought, the Opry is inducting new members at a torrid pace: Carrie is the fourth artist in a ten-month period.
And, for those of you who are wondering: I expect that the next inductee will be newcomer Ashton Shepherd.
Check back later today for more coverage of this breaking story.
Watch Carrie’s Opry invitation:
- bob: Thanks Barry. Just reserved the Adam Gussow book. Sounds interesting.
- Barry Mazor: It may be over-stated, in arriving at practically a single explanation of everything, but Adam Gussow's book on lynching and …
- Leeann: Wow! Heavy topic and horrifying indeed! "Beer for My Horses" was all fun and games until that reference, I'll have …
- Barry Mazor: Everything else aside, the way that reporter fills us in, with must-have, pointless generational snark included, about who this "Little …
- luckyoldsun: "The Night The Lights Went Out in Georgia" seems to be about a lynching--even if there's something about a judge …
- Arlene: Sorry. I meant to give the link for "Supper Time." http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZ58Kfe41kI
- Arlene: Another song sung by Ethel Waters: Irving Berlin's "Supper Time"
- bob: Powerful songs. I read the book "A Lynching in the Heartland" by James H. Madison about a dozen years ago. …
- Ron: Sky Above, Mud Below by Tom Russell is another.
- Jack Williams: Another Othis Taylor song from White African is "My Soul's in Louisiana."