Bust Out The Vinyl and Sleeveface Your Favorite Artists
- Sleeveface.com is a website gaining in popularity, and deservedly so as the illusions created can be quite entertaining. The term sleeveface is defined as “one or more persons obscuring or augmenting any part of their body or bodies with record sleeve(s) causing an illusion.” Basically a person holds a sleeve of a vinyl disc featuring an artist’s face or body part in front of their own face or corresponding body part to make it appear that they’re actually the person on the cover. It’s easier to understand if you see examples and browsing through the Sleeveface Flickr group I came across a couple of Willie Nelson, Johnny Cash, and Kenny Rogers‘ sleevefaces. Obviously, some are better executed than others. Here’s a couple of covers I’d like to see sleevefaced: Bitter Tears and Rubber Room. What are some more good ones?
- New York Times writer Kelefa Sanneh was puzzled by Carrie Underwood’s opening performance, she felt like Underwood was trying too hard on some songs and it showed in her awkward stage banter. She says Keith Urban’s “assured headlining performance looked even better compared to Ms. Underwood’s uneven one.”
- Valentine’s Day spurred the songwriting career of Don Schlitz, who wrote: Kenny Rogers’ “The Gambler,” Randy Travis’ “On The Other Hand” and “Forever And Ever, Amen,” and Keith Whitley’s “When You Say Nothing At All.” Tom Roland tells the story.
- CMT opened their first retail store, CMT Loot, at the Nashville airport.
- Sara Evans is holding an auction on her website in an effort to raise relief funds for those hit by tornadoes in Tennessee, Kentucky, Alabama, Arkansas and Mississippi. Items up for bid include the autographed top and dress that she wore in her music video for “As If.”
- The two-disc DVD The Best Of The Johnny Cash TV Show has been certified platinum for shipments of more than 100,000 copies.
- To create artistically compelling music is not one of the reasons that rapper T-Pain mentioned for wanting to record a duet with Toby Keith.
Asked why Keith is on his list, T-Pain said, “He’s just different, man. He sells a lot of records.” Laughing, he adds, “He’s rich! I just want to be friends with him, I guess. That would be great!”
- Stephen Holden says the best moment of Lari White‘s new “Love Letters” show is when she performs the set’s purest country song, “Box of Love Letters From Old Mexico.” Ms. White performed in the “Ring of Fire” musical and produced Toby Keith’s White Trash With Money album.
- Behind the scenes look at the Willie Nelson video “You Don’t Think I’m Funny Anymore” from Bad Boy Mowers. (via the #1 Willie resource, Still Is Still Moving)
- Yahoo! Music has an exclusive in-studio performance of Ryan Bingham performing “Southside of Heaven” and a video interview.
- Based on Chet Flippo’s review of Good Time, Alan Jackson’s forthcoming album, country fans won’t be let down.
In some ways, Jackson has become the Ernest Hemingway of country music. In writing, that is. Not necessarily in lifestyle. At Hemingway’s best, he told stories very simply, getting directly to the point. He knew his subject inside out, whether it was bullfighting or deep-sea fishing and could brilliantly tell a vivid story about it in as few words as needed. Similarly, Jackson, has staked out his turf and can write and sing about it in a simple and direct style.
- Ricky Skaggs, LeAnn Rimes, and Martina McBride are among the nominees for 39th Annual GMA Dove Awards, also known as gospel music’s biggest night.
- Bobby Braddock: “I’ve been following the Roger Clemens controversy, and I’m beginning to wonder, will songwriters someday have to give back the awards they received for songs they wrote when they were high?”
- Dave W.: Just read the news here. Will miss E145 very much - love this site. All the best to you Juli …
- Leeann Ward: Oh, dang! This is real. Farewell to the most generous, informative, quality, intelligent, consistent, ethical country music blog! You …
- bll: Thanks Juli for all the great articles and information; you'll be missed by me and I suss several others. Best …
- Both Kinds of Music: I hope people appreciate the irony that one of the best "Americana" albums is titled Metamodern Sounds in COUNTRY Music.
- Barry Mazor: I would not rule out that possibility..There's a different set of voters involved..
- Dana M: Does anyone else think that Brandy Clark actually has a good chance of winning since this isn't a country awards …
- Juli Thanki: UPDATE: Brandy Clark got a Best New Artist nom. BEST AMERICANA ALBUM: Rosanne Cash -- The River & The Thread John Hiatt -- Terms …
- luckyoldsun: Glenn Campbell is great and I'd love to see him get an award, but the words of that song may …
- Casey Penn: Juli, it was an honor to write for you here on Engine145.com. You're good at what you do, and The …
- bob: Go Brandy FGL - Just go away.