Buddy Miller Gets Cover Treatment From No Depression
- No Depression plans to enshrine Buddy Miller on the cover of their last issue.
- John Goodspeed gushes over the new George Strait album and says while Strait can nail a number of styles, “he really hammers western swing,” particularly the duet with Dean Dillon on “West Texas Town.” Robert Earl Keen shares writing credits with Dillon on that particular tune.
- Reba McEntire launched a collection of footwear under her brand name. She wanted shoes that would “flatter your feet, but also offer comfort and support.”
- Country Universe’s Kevin graded each of the American Idol contestants last night on their performances of Dolly Parton songs, and Entertainment Weekly’s Michael Slezak believes, with the exception of the two girls, that this is the most talented group of performers yet.
- Four years after his debut and two aborted album releases later Josh Gracin finally released his follow-up. Unfortunately, it probably wasn’t worth the wait. Michael McCall says Gracin is “without a clear direction or musical personality of his own,” “doesn’t do enough to establish a distinct vocal style of his own,” and relies “too much on empty wordplay and high-concept ideas with little relation to real life.” Read Gracin’s Q&A with Whitney Self to see what he’s been up to.
- CMT announced the presenters for the CMT Music Awards.
- Jake Owen didn’t make the transition from a guy who just liked girls to seeing the true beauty of a woman until he was on vacation spying on his girlfriend while she applied her sun tan lotion. At least I think that’s what he’s trying to say.
- Twang Nation brands Kathy Mattea’s Coal with 4 1/2 mud-flap ladies.
- Next week marks the release of Hayes Carll’s new album, Trouble In Mind. This Is Texas Music took the opportunity to revisit an audio interview with Carll in the midst of his 2005 release, Little Rock. Take a listen for a humorous story about Guy Clark and his “f’in laborious” songwriting process.
- Jamie O’Neal signed with 1720 Entertainment and plans to have a single out this summer.
- Most of our readers already know how Dale Watson feels about the current state of country music and his attempt to re-brand his sound as Ameripolitan, but here’s another article to echo his sentiments.
Part of the problem Watson has with the new so-called country singers is their lack of preparation. “A lot of these guys don’t even know the country standards, the songs you always heard and had to know,” Watson says, calling in from his Austin home. “You couldn’t get onstage anywhere in any honky-tonk and not know ‘Your Cheatin’ Heart,’ but some don’t.” Watson says most of the new country boys and girls who came along during the ’80s and ’90s had no roots — they just started doing country music a year before they had their record.
Watson also talks about Europe being his saving grace and hanging out with the country music respectin’ Johnny Knoxville.
- Kix Brooks partnered with a distributor to bring his wines to several different Nashville locations.
- In celebration of Emmylou Harris’s birthday and the interest of spreading her angelic music, share your favorite Harris song in the comment section.
- Paige: Oh damn. :( I never commented here and I haven't been listening to any music at all since Thanksgiving (it …
- Dave W.: Just read the news here. Will miss E145 very much - love this site. All the best to you Juli …
- Leeann Ward: Oh, dang! This is real. Farewell to the most generous, informative, quality, intelligent, consistent, ethical country music blog! You …
- bll: Thanks Juli for all the great articles and information; you'll be missed by me and I suss several others. Best …
- Both Kinds of Music: I hope people appreciate the irony that one of the best "Americana" albums is titled Metamodern Sounds in COUNTRY Music.
- Barry Mazor: I would not rule out that possibility..There's a different set of voters involved..
- Dana M: Does anyone else think that Brandy Clark actually has a good chance of winning since this isn't a country awards …
- Juli Thanki: UPDATE: Brandy Clark got a Best New Artist nom. BEST AMERICANA ALBUM: Rosanne Cash -- The River & The Thread John Hiatt -- Terms …
- luckyoldsun: Glenn Campbell is great and I'd love to see him get an award, but the words of that song may …
- Casey Penn: Juli, it was an honor to write for you here on Engine145.com. You're good at what you do, and The …