Brooks & Dunn Split; New Releases; Oklahoma Hall Inducts Carrie Underwood;
So, did you hear Brooks & Dunn are splitting up? The duo will release #1’s…and then some next month and take a farewell tour, The Last Rodeo Tour, in 2010.
Your take: As a duo, is Brooks & Dunn’s Hall of Fame inclusion a forgone conclusion?
- Country Universe listed 10 essential tracks and two hidden treasures from the breakup-pending duo.
New releases for the week of August 11, 2009 include:
- Eleven questions with Hank Williams Jr.
If you could have a conversation with anyone, living or dead, who would it be?
Waylon Jennings. That one’s pretty easy.
- Rumor has it Garth Brooks has a date, or several, planned with Vegas.
- Since 2004, Levon Helm has hosted music events at his home studio on Saturday nights called The Midnight Ramble Sessions. In 2008, he took his rambling to the Ryman Auditorium with guests such as John Hiatt, Buddy Miller, Sam Bush and Sheryl Crow. PBS taped the special event, titled Levon Helm — Ramble At the Ryman, and is airing it during August. Watch a preview at BluegrassJournal.com.
- Sara Evans has a novel titled The Sweet By and By due out
- My Kind of Country’s Occasional Hope recommends The Reason That I Sing: Country Hits Bluegrass Style from Kim Williams, the writer behind 16 #1 hits, including “Ain’t Going Down (Til The Sun Comes Up)” and “Three Wooden Crosses.”
- Watch new videos for Keith Urban‘s “Only You Can Love Me This Way,” Reba McEntire‘s “Consider Me Gone,” Holly Williams‘ “Alone” and Jake Owen‘s “Eight Second Ride” at CMT. The Urban, McEntire and Owen videos made it into some kind of rotation.
- Clint Black signed on to become an executive producer of the new TV anthology series American Storytellers, for which current and classic country music hits are developed into one-hour dramatic episodes for television.
- The Oklahoma Music Hall of Fame will induct Carrie Underwood in September.
- That Nashville Sound on the new Wade Hayes album:
“With apologies to Yogi Berra, it’s time to rediscover Wade Hayes for the first time. Place To Turn Around is everything that is great about indie records. […] On songs like “Every Time I Give The Devil A Ride” and “Good Day To Go Crazy,” we’re reminded what a great guitarist and underrated instrumentalist that Hayes has always been. His picking is as skilled as anything Brad Paisley has put out on these two tracks.”
- On Sept. 29, Corb Lund will make his New West Record debut with Losin’ Lately Gambler, “a new album propelled by stand-up bass and steel guitar set to his yarns about down-and-out cowboys, whiskey and ranching.”
- The new release from Chris Knight, Trailer Tapes II, has The Gobblers Knob’s Kelly Dearmore fluttering about in a trance-like state.
- Dave W.: Just read the news here. Will miss E145 very much - love this site. All the best to you Juli …
- Leeann Ward: Oh, dang! This is real. Farewell to the most generous, informative, quality, intelligent, consistent, ethical country music blog! You …
- bll: Thanks Juli for all the great articles and information; you'll be missed by me and I suss several others. Best …
- Both Kinds of Music: I hope people appreciate the irony that one of the best "Americana" albums is titled Metamodern Sounds in COUNTRY Music.
- Barry Mazor: I would not rule out that possibility..There's a different set of voters involved..
- Dana M: Does anyone else think that Brandy Clark actually has a good chance of winning since this isn't a country awards …
- Juli Thanki: UPDATE: Brandy Clark got a Best New Artist nom. BEST AMERICANA ALBUM: Rosanne Cash -- The River & The Thread John Hiatt -- Terms …
- luckyoldsun: Glenn Campbell is great and I'd love to see him get an award, but the words of that song may …
- Casey Penn: Juli, it was an honor to write for you here on Engine145.com. You're good at what you do, and The …
- bob: Go Brandy FGL - Just go away.