Brooks & Dunn Cap Hall of Fame-Worthy Career; Ashley Monroe Signs New Deal; Carrie Underwood Snubbery
- Kix Brooks and Ronnie Dunn capped their nearly 20-year career together last Thursday with “Brand New Man,” the same song that helped launch them way back in 1991. Watch a lo-fi video on YouTube (via That Nashville Sound).
- GAC’s Tom Roland says the show didn’t feel as final as it could have and declares the duo a lock for the Country Music Hall of Fame.
- The Tennessean‘s Peter Cooper took a glimpse back at Brooks & Dunn‘s discography.
- Farce the Music: Texas Day 4
- With the VMA’s fast approaching, Kanye West took to his Twitter account to apologize again for the incident last year when he took the microphone from Taylor Swift during her acceptance speech. He’s also written a song for Swift, but Music Mix’s Kate Ward feels the timing is a little suspect and asks, “should we view West’s second apology as genuine?”
New releases for the week of September 7, 2010 include:
George Jones – Sacred Songs
The Grassmasters – Dylangrass
Rodney Atkins – Cracker Barrel Presents Rodney Atkins
- Country music’s biggest stars weren’t able to overcome the lure of Big Brother 12 and America’s Got Talent last Wednesday during the airing of CMA Music Festival: Country’s Night to Rock.
- HoustonPress’ Chris Gray transcribed a rarely-heard verse to “West Texas Waltz” as performed by old friends Jimmie Dale Gilmore and Butch Hancock at Saturday night’s gig at the Mucky Duck in Houston:
I took my baby after dark to the old baseball park / And we sat in the center field stands / I asked her, “How many outs?” She said, “I’ve got my doubts, / but you can count ‘em on one of your hands.” / I said, “Baby, I’ve got much better plans.” / “I’ll kiss you on the strikes, you kiss me on the balls, / and we’ll go dance like the dickens to the West Texas Waltz!”
- Bluegrass band Nu-Blu is the first act signed to the reopened Pinecastle Records. It was also the last act signed to the label before it closed in February. (via Country Standard Time)
- Watch the live video for Dierks Bentley‘s “Bad Angel,” which features Miranda Lambert and Jamey Johnson.
- Ashley Monroe tweeted: “Signed my record deal with Warner Bros. LA yesterday…. I’m ready to make some music!!!!”
- USA Today’s Edna Gundersen published an interview with Jerry Lee Lewis.
- American Songwriter recapped the first two days of Zac Brown Band‘s Sailing Southern Ground concert cruise.
- Country Radio DJ Hall of Famer Gerry House announced he is going off the air after 30 years in country music radio.
- Music Mix’s Whitney Pastorek pondered the CMA Awards’ continued snubbing of Carrie Underwood in the entertainer of the year category.
Thus, the only thing I can think of here that is not easily debunked with facts and figures and simple logic is the following: The last time the Country Music Association nominated more than one solo female for Entertainer of the Year was 1979, when Crystal Gayle and Barbara Mandrell lost to Willie Nelson. And they gave this year’s slot to Miranda. Oh well. Can’t fight gender, ladies.
Her article prompted a response from Idol Chatter’s Brian Mansfield who, as a former member of the CMA’s board of directors, offered the explanation that sometimes voters just get in a mood “to recognize a new crop of acts that the industry wants to have represent it, not what the fans actually like best and support most.”
- Rosanne Cash on the sexism is the music business back when she was getting started:
The first marketing meeting I had about maybe my first or second record, they said in front of me that the image they wanted to create of me was one that was — and I quote — “f—able.”
- Country California: Quotable Country – 09/05/10 Edition
Music Fog: Will Kimbrough – “Three Angels”
- Arlene: I'd have included "Omie Wise." Doc Watson's is the version I'm familiar with but I think it's been recorded by …
- luckyoldsun: I think the number one country murder ballad is "Frankie and Johnny"--by Jimmie. Also, how about "Delia's Gone" from Harry Belafonte …
- Juli Thanki: Colloquial use of "fantastic" as a synonym for "excellent" dates back to the 1930s. And if it's good enough for …
- Paul W Dennis: I think "Banks of The Ohio", "Miller's Cave" and "It's Nothing to Me" are far creepier than several of the …
- Paul W Dennis: The Hight article is interesting, although I don't know that I would describe it as fantastic, but then I know …
- Dana M: I'm actually excited to hear a new Reba album. As for the Alan Jackson tour, I hope he announces Canadian …
- nm: Agreed. A good job by three very smart women.
- Deremy Jylan: The Hight piece is tremendous reading.
- Juli Thanki: Much like the music of Aldean and FGL, Michelob Ultra is favored by college kids and too much exposure will …
- Tom: ...michelob ultra seems to be a brew from hell.