Brad Paisley vs. Kellie Pickler: You Be The Judge
- Ivan Maisel makes a couple of Brad Paisley references in his 2007 College Football preview.
Special teams might decide a lot of games, because coaching strategy will come straight out of another new Paisley lyric (almost), I’d like to check you for kicks.
Why does he allude to Paisley you ask, because Paisley sings with a twang and Maisel says the power shift to the south this year is noticeable.
- Twangville sings the praises of Dave Gleason’s newest album.
On their new album, Just Fall to Pieces, Gleason and Co. channel early Yoakam, Gram Parsons and the king of “Californicountry” himself, Buck Owens. The album is speckled with great instrumentation featuring pedal steel, harmonica, rusty acoustic guitars, fiddle, banjo and keyboards bouncing in and out of many of the tracks.
It sounds like something right up our alley.
- A couple of months ago Kellie Pickler and Taylor Swift walked out on stage in the middle of Brad Paisley’s performance of “Ticks” wearing tick uniforms. The stunt was unrehearsed and got a good laugh from Brad, but it was only a matter of time until he plotted his revenge. This past weekend he got his retaliation on Pickler by airing an intro titled “You Be The Judge” which featured doctored photos of Pickler (watch the YouTube video here).
- Both Lonesome Music and Country Universe recently hit the three year mark. The 9513 is still a diaper-wearing toddler compared to these guys, so wander on over to both blogs and tell ‘em congrats.
- Described as country blues rockers, the Deadstring Brothers have announced that they will release their next album, Silver Mountain, on October 9th via Bloodshot Records.
- Carrie Underwood’s newest single, “So Small”, was this week’s most-added new single at Billboard/R&R and Country Aircheck. The single also set a record by becoming “the highest chart entry by a solo country female in Nielsen BDS history.”
- Despite not opening a textbook or taking a test at Tennessee Tech for fourteen years, Rodney Atkins was awarded a degree. He was a few credits short of earning his psychology degree, but under a new program, Interdisciplinary Studies, he qualified for a degree. Must be nice. Atkins mentions that he has also started work on a new album.
- USA Today has a few quotes from an interview that Wynonna Judd did with Ladies’ Home Journal about divorcing her husband.
Does she feel duped by her husband? “I know that both D.R. and I had issues with addiction when I married him. … I know the people I chose, I know why I chose them, and I really thought that I could change people through loving them enough. It doesn’t work that way.”
The issue hits news stands on August 14.
- Check out Twang Nation‘s introduction of “It Burns When I Pee.”
- Applejack: It's not just you, Andrew L. I just listened to the clips on Amazon, and the autotune effect is terrible.
- Andrew L.: Is it just me or does Strait sound horribly autotuned on the clips for the new live album? I can't …
- Juli Thanki: You'll get to hear it pretty soon: The Wall Street Journal is going to stream the album on their website …
- Leeann Ward: Way to go to David Cantwell for getting a name drop! Great interview, Juli! Womack's new album is awesome! I've not always …
- Jonathan Pappalardo: Great interview as always, Juli! The new album is fantastic. "Same Kind of Different" is my favorite cut although "Fly" is …
- Dave D.: Good interview. Looking forward to the new record, and particularly interested in hearing her version of Brennen Leigh's "Sleeping with …
- nm: I guess it's not surprising that a singer who gets her songs all over the place, the way Womack does, …
- SunsetPark: As a Pennsylvanian to this day, thanks for the list. I haven't heard the Quecreek song and so can't …
- Paul W Dennis: I would urge readers to check out the Billy Edd Wheeler salute on October 18, 2014. Billy Edd Wheeler is …
- Leeann Ward: I'm really liking Pink's folk duo song! I'm looking forward to the album!