Brad Paisley vs. Kellie Pickler: You Be The Judge
- Ivan Maisel makes a couple of Brad Paisley references in his 2007 College Football preview.
Special teams might decide a lot of games, because coaching strategy will come straight out of another new Paisley lyric (almost), I’d like to check you for kicks.
Why does he allude to Paisley you ask, because Paisley sings with a twang and Maisel says the power shift to the south this year is noticeable.
- Twangville sings the praises of Dave Gleason’s newest album.
On their new album, Just Fall to Pieces, Gleason and Co. channel early Yoakam, Gram Parsons and the king of “Californicountry” himself, Buck Owens. The album is speckled with great instrumentation featuring pedal steel, harmonica, rusty acoustic guitars, fiddle, banjo and keyboards bouncing in and out of many of the tracks.
It sounds like something right up our alley.
- A couple of months ago Kellie Pickler and Taylor Swift walked out on stage in the middle of Brad Paisley’s performance of “Ticks” wearing tick uniforms. The stunt was unrehearsed and got a good laugh from Brad, but it was only a matter of time until he plotted his revenge. This past weekend he got his retaliation on Pickler by airing an intro titled “You Be The Judge” which featured doctored photos of Pickler (watch the YouTube video here).
- Both Lonesome Music and Country Universe recently hit the three year mark. The 9513 is still a diaper-wearing toddler compared to these guys, so wander on over to both blogs and tell ‘em congrats.
- Described as country blues rockers, the Deadstring Brothers have announced that they will release their next album, Silver Mountain, on October 9th via Bloodshot Records.
- Carrie Underwood’s newest single, “So Small”, was this week’s most-added new single at Billboard/R&R and Country Aircheck. The single also set a record by becoming “the highest chart entry by a solo country female in Nielsen BDS history.”
- Despite not opening a textbook or taking a test at Tennessee Tech for fourteen years, Rodney Atkins was awarded a degree. He was a few credits short of earning his psychology degree, but under a new program, Interdisciplinary Studies, he qualified for a degree. Must be nice. Atkins mentions that he has also started work on a new album.
- USA Today has a few quotes from an interview that Wynonna Judd did with Ladies’ Home Journal about divorcing her husband.
Does she feel duped by her husband? “I know that both D.R. and I had issues with addiction when I married him. … I know the people I chose, I know why I chose them, and I really thought that I could change people through loving them enough. It doesn’t work that way.”
The issue hits news stands on August 14.
- Check out Twang Nation‘s introduction of “It Burns When I Pee.”
- Dave W.: Just read the news here. Will miss E145 very much - love this site. All the best to you Juli …
- Leeann Ward: Oh, dang! This is real. Farewell to the most generous, informative, quality, intelligent, consistent, ethical country music blog! You …
- bll: Thanks Juli for all the great articles and information; you'll be missed by me and I suss several others. Best …
- Both Kinds of Music: I hope people appreciate the irony that one of the best "Americana" albums is titled Metamodern Sounds in COUNTRY Music.
- Barry Mazor: I would not rule out that possibility..There's a different set of voters involved..
- Dana M: Does anyone else think that Brandy Clark actually has a good chance of winning since this isn't a country awards …
- Juli Thanki: UPDATE: Brandy Clark got a Best New Artist nom. BEST AMERICANA ALBUM: Rosanne Cash -- The River & The Thread John Hiatt -- Terms …
- luckyoldsun: Glenn Campbell is great and I'd love to see him get an award, but the words of that song may …
- Casey Penn: Juli, it was an honor to write for you here on Engine145.com. You're good at what you do, and The …
- bob: Go Brandy FGL - Just go away.