Brad Paisley Recording Duet With Buck Owens
- The forthcoming Brad Paisley instrumental album won’t be strictly instrumentals. According to GAC, there will be three or four vocal pieces, including a duet with Buck Owens.
Brad got permission to work with the track from Buck’s company, and Brad thinks it’s “the most special thing on the record.”
“He wrote a song that works great as a duet,” Brad explains. “He played guitar, he sang on it, he did the harmony parts. It’s perfect. It’s incredibly perfectly tuned… The theme of the song is running into someone you haven’t seen in a while, and anyway, he and I are singing that to one another now on this record. And it’s really cool.”
- The Austin City Limits Music Festival lineup has been announced and there’s a few acts even country fans can enjoy. Click on the artists’ names to hear music samples. Pretty cool stuff. (via The Gobblers Knob)
- Fret not if you missed the CMT Music Awards last night, we’ve got you covered. Taylor Swift took Video of the Year and CMT — and pretty much everyone else who covers music — has a recap of the show. Here’s a fancy list of the winners and a lot of pictures.
- Peter Cooper says a whiff of country tradition carried backstage when Snoop Dogg, who donned all-black to honor his hero Johnny Cash, made an appearance. Meanwhile, Jason Aldean compared boots with Snoop and boasted that the rapper said he was a pimp.
In the midst of his interview with PEOPLE, the Father Hood star stopped mid-sentence to gape at LeAnn Rimes, who was posing for pictures nearby. “Wow — damn! Who is that?” he asked.
Upon learning her identity, Snoop gushed, “She is beautiful! Wow, wow, wow.”
- Funny picture of Jay Leno sporting a pearl snap denim shirt and posing with Ryan Bingham.
- Coming in at No. 80 on Country Universe’s “100 Greatest Women” feature is the original female outlaw, Jessi Colter.
- Lady Antebellum‘s Charles Kelley is surprised at the success his band has had in the short amount of time they’ve been together.
- Another fine edition of Galleywinter’s 20 Questions with the up and coming Waco-based Modern Day Drifters.
On this album, you cover “Angel From Montgomery” by John Prine. What made you want to cover that song in particular? Were there other songs you considered covering for the album instead?
We never really considered covering any other songs. The Prine tune is one I had been singing for a while and we felt compelled to include it after recording it. It always gets such an amazing response at the shows, that I knew it must go on the album. – Kristen
- Los Angeles Times’ Randy Lewis describes Hayes Carll as following “in the mighty footsteps of such Lone Star State country-folk-rock luminaries as Townes Van Zandt, Guy Clark and Joe Ely. There’s a bit of Steve Earle folksy philosopher lurking there too, but Carll’s voice, as a writer and a singer, is as uncommonly distinctive as it is assured.”
- YouTube video for Randy Travis‘ “Faith In You.”
- Dave W.: Just read the news here. Will miss E145 very much - love this site. All the best to you Juli …
- Leeann Ward: Oh, dang! This is real. Farewell to the most generous, informative, quality, intelligent, consistent, ethical country music blog! You …
- bll: Thanks Juli for all the great articles and information; you'll be missed by me and I suss several others. Best …
- Both Kinds of Music: I hope people appreciate the irony that one of the best "Americana" albums is titled Metamodern Sounds in COUNTRY Music.
- Barry Mazor: I would not rule out that possibility..There's a different set of voters involved..
- Dana M: Does anyone else think that Brandy Clark actually has a good chance of winning since this isn't a country awards …
- Juli Thanki: UPDATE: Brandy Clark got a Best New Artist nom. BEST AMERICANA ALBUM: Rosanne Cash -- The River & The Thread John Hiatt -- Terms …
- luckyoldsun: Glenn Campbell is great and I'd love to see him get an award, but the words of that song may …
- Casey Penn: Juli, it was an honor to write for you here on Engine145.com. You're good at what you do, and The …
- bob: Go Brandy FGL - Just go away.