Brad Paisley Plans Two-Disc Hits Album; PETA Sets Sights On Kristy Lee Cook; Charlie Louvin’s War Songs
- Brad Paisley has a two-disc hits album, titled Hits Alive, scheduled for a Nov, 2 release. The first disc will consist of studio cuts while the second will be a collection of live performances from his recent H2O World Tour.
- Ryan Bingham launched a new video series to preview the tracks from his upcoming, T Bone Burnett-produced album, Junky Star. The first song in the Bingham Bootleg series is “Depression.” (via @TwangNation)
- Country California Fake News: Your Mama to Release Country Single
James Stroud, CEO and founder of Stroudavarious, had this to say of your mother: “She brings a lot to the table, literally and figuratively, ha ha ha. When we found out she had such a large circle of Bunco and book club friends and that she used to sing backup for a bar rock band in college, it was a no-brainer!”
- Luck Films posted video of Willie Nelson covering the Guy Clark classic “Desperados Waiting For a Train.” (via Still Is Still Moving)
- Speaking of Willie, on Monday he announced that Farm Aid 25: Growing Hope for America will take place at Miller Park, home of the Milwaukee Brewers, making this Farm Aid the first to be held at a major-league baseball stadium.
- The animal rights organization PETA has a new target and her name is Kristy Lee Cook. (via Country Music Is Love)
- Charlie Louvin signed with Canadian label True North Records to release his next album, The Battle Rages On, a collection of war songs dating back to the Civil War. Specials guests for the project, which is scheduled for Sept. 27 digital release and Nov. 9 in-store release, include Del McCoury and Jamie Dailey.
- Blake Shelton on his career:
“I’ve been doing this for a long time now, and I’ve been really lucky. My career hasn’t been bad, but it hasn’t ever got to that next level. Now that it feels like it’s going there, I’m 10 years into this thing and I’m tired. I’m 34 years old now, and going at it this hard out on the road, I’m getting to the age where it’s like, ‘Man, I sure would like to be home right now with a glass of iced tea kicked back on the porch just once in a while.’”
- Jerrod Niemann topped the Billboard Country Songs chart this week with “Lover, Lover.”
- Vince Gill and Lee Ann Womack, along with Rodney Crowell, Lyle Lovett and Billy Swan, are the artists taking part in paying tribute to Fred Foster, Kris Kristofferson, and Willie Nelson at the Leadership Music Dale Franklin Music Award gala dinner on Aug. 29.
- For fans of satirist Gary Floater, Farce the Music recommends Horatio Lee Jenkins and his album Drunker Than Satan.
- Colt Ford on his music:
“The only thing that bothers me is when people say it’s not country because it definitely is country and it’s more country than a lot of the stuff that’s coming out of Nashville. What I’ve found is that those fans are more my fans than the pop-country fans, to be honest.”
- In a recent CMA Close Up article, Brian Mansfield, Hazel Smith and Cindy Watts talked about the changes in country music journalism.
- Did Billy Ray Cyrus bring the mullet back?
- Writing for Austin Music Source, Alex Daniel describes the new album from Mike and the Moonpies: “Ultimately, ‘The Real Country’ is exactly what it claims to be — Texas country for Texans, played straight from the heart of Texas.”
Watch the new video for Sunny Sweeney‘s song “From A Table Away.”
- Ken Morton, Jr.: Another twisted collection of songs to put into the Friday Five Hall of Fame, Juli.
- Arlene: I'd have included "Omie Wise." Doc Watson's is the version I'm familiar with but I think it's been recorded by …
- luckyoldsun: I think the number one country murder ballad is "Frankie and Johnny"--by Jimmie. Also, how about "Delia's Gone" from Harry Belafonte …
- Juli Thanki: Colloquial use of "fantastic" as a synonym for "excellent" dates back to the 1930s. And if it's good enough for …
- Paul W Dennis: I think "Banks of The Ohio", "Miller's Cave" and "It's Nothing to Me" are far creepier than several of the …
- Paul W Dennis: The Hight article is interesting, although I don't know that I would describe it as fantastic, but then I know …
- Dana M: I'm actually excited to hear a new Reba album. As for the Alan Jackson tour, I hope he announces Canadian …
- nm: Agreed. A good job by three very smart women.
- Deremy Jylan: The Hight piece is tremendous reading.
- Juli Thanki: Much like the music of Aldean and FGL, Michelob Ultra is favored by college kids and too much exposure will …