Brad Paisley & Carrie Underwood To Host CMA Awards A Second Time; Opry Revives Country Classics Series
- Brad Paisley and Carrie Underwood will return as hosts for the three-hour broadcast of the CMA Awards on Nov. 11.
- Beginning Sept. 20, the Grand Ole Opry will bring back its Country Classics series for an eight-week run.
- Quick, what’s the last song you heard?
- Jack Ingram met his goal of 215 interviews to officially break the record for most consecutive interviews in a 24 hour period. (via press release)
- Galleywinter is giving away a couple of copies of his new disc, Big Dreams & High Hopes, and The Boot has 11 questions with the newest member of the Guinness World Record family.
- Country Haiku:
We went out last night
We had a whole lot of fun
Then I vomited
The folks at Music Fog posted another video from Bonnie Bishop, this one is titled “Fallen Angel.”
- The Gobblers Knob Kelly Dearmore says great stories and mystery add to the allure of A.A. Bondy‘s new album, When the Devil’s Loose, and Edd Hurt interviewed the singer for American Songwriter.
The record is full of country, blues and gospel music. “To the Morning” works out its 6/8 gospel feel and finds it way in the dark. The songs are minimalist and sleepy, as if Bondy woke up out of an afternoon nap to perform them. He doesn’t seem to sing his songs so much as visit them…
- Steve Wariner dished out advice for guitar players who want to sound like Chet Atkins.
- My Kind of Country’s Occasional Hope listed several artists she felt were destined for stardom, but never quite made it; artists like Donna Ulisse, Bobbie Cryner, Elizabeth Cook, Bobby Pinson, and although one wouldn’t expect it, Rhonda Vincent.
- Watch the new video for Cadillac Sky‘s cover of the Death Cab for Cutie song “I’ll Follow You into the Dark.”
- Hickory Wind and ninebullets.net are diggin’ the recent Sons of Bill album, One Town Away. If you like what you hear, be sure to go back and read Pierce Greenberg’s interview with the Virginia band.
- Country Universe’s Leeann Ward listed ten essential tracks and two gems from ’90s artist Clint Black.
Josh Grider uploaded 13 videos from his recent gig at Momo’s in Austin, Texas. Here’s “Crazy Like You”:
- bob: Thanks Barry. Just reserved the Adam Gussow book. Sounds interesting.
- Barry Mazor: It may be over-stated, in arriving at practically a single explanation of everything, but Adam Gussow's book on lynching and …
- Leeann: Wow! Heavy topic and horrifying indeed! "Beer for My Horses" was all fun and games until that reference, I'll have …
- Barry Mazor: Everything else aside, the way that reporter fills us in, with must-have, pointless generational snark included, about who this "Little …
- luckyoldsun: "The Night The Lights Went Out in Georgia" seems to be about a lynching--even if there's something about a judge …
- Arlene: Sorry. I meant to give the link for "Supper Time." http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZ58Kfe41kI
- Arlene: Another song sung by Ethel Waters: Irving Berlin's "Supper Time"
- bob: Powerful songs. I read the book "A Lynching in the Heartland" by James H. Madison about a dozen years ago. …
- Ron: Sky Above, Mud Below by Tom Russell is another.
- Jack Williams: Another Othis Taylor song from White African is "My Soul's in Louisiana."