Brad Paisley Feels The Pressure of Five CMA Nominations
- We’re not the only ones with predictions for the CMAs tonight, both Country Universe and USA Today have chimed in as well. With all the different choices being made it doesn’t seem as though the awards are as predictable as they’re generally made out to be.
- East Tennessee State University unveiled a kiosk and accompanying exhibit, A History of Country Music, in the Carroll Reece Museum yesterday that will use today’s technology to trace the region’s country music history from the early 20th century through the 1940s. “The kiosk and its accompanying exhibit draw upon both rare and rarely seen artifacts from the Reece Museum and the Archives of Appalachia.”
- Billboard revised their policy to allow exclusive albums available from only one retailer to appear on their charts. The change goes into effect this week and will allow the new Eagles album to perch atop the The Billboard 200 chart.
- Twang Nation highlighted a quote from Chris Rock in Rolling Stone Magazine about the state of music.
Music kind of sucks. Nobody’s into being a musician. Everybody’s getting their mogul on. You’ve been so infiltrated by this corporate mentality that all the time you’d spend getting great songs together, you’re busy doing nine other things that have nothing to do with art. You know how s*****y Stevie Wonder’s songs would have been if he had to run a f****n’ clothing company and a cologne line?
He talks mainly about rap music, but the same concept can be applied to any genre.
- Clay Walker donated $25,000 to research for multiple sclerosis and hopes to donate a similar amount annually for the next three years.
- The song that got Eric Church his publishing deal and ultimately his record deal, “Lightning”, will be his newest music video. In the song Church addresses the death penalty from the perspective of a condemned man.
- Garth Brooks told the media after his concert that he doesn’t have the stamina that he did a decade ago and that his voice was gone after song two or three, but the crowd helped him along. After being asked to single out his favorite song, he offered up “We Shall Be Free”.
- Brad Paisley has had 38 CMA nominations in the past seven years! In that time span the two artists coming the closest to that number are George Strait and Kenny Chesney, with 20 apiece. Despite being nominated for so many awards, he says there is a down side. Two years ago he was nominated for six and didn’t win any. He says he felt a little out of place.
- Josh Turner’s ringtone is John Anderson’s “Seminole Wind”. Can’t go wrong there.
- Jeffery Steele took home the songwriter of the year (Rascal Flatts’ “What Hurts The Most,” “My Wish” and “Me and My Gang”; Steve Holy’s “Brand New Girlfriend”; and Keith Anderson’s “Every Time I Hear Your Name”) and song of the year awards while Willie Nelson was honored with a BMI Icon award at last night’s BMI Country Awards.
- During awards shows in Nashville businesses such as the Nashville Area Chamber of Commerce and the Gaylord Opryland Resort & Convention Center jump through hoops, inordinately lavish hoops, to woo clients in hopes that they may bring some of their lucrative events to Nashville. For instance, the Opry “is flying in about 40 event planners and their guests for a tour of the resort, complete with spa treatments, a round of golf and free tickets to the awards ceremony.”
- Dave W.: Just read the news here. Will miss E145 very much - love this site. All the best to you Juli …
- Leeann Ward: Oh, dang! This is real. Farewell to the most generous, informative, quality, intelligent, consistent, ethical country music blog! You …
- bll: Thanks Juli for all the great articles and information; you'll be missed by me and I suss several others. Best …
- Both Kinds of Music: I hope people appreciate the irony that one of the best "Americana" albums is titled Metamodern Sounds in COUNTRY Music.
- Barry Mazor: I would not rule out that possibility..There's a different set of voters involved..
- Dana M: Does anyone else think that Brandy Clark actually has a good chance of winning since this isn't a country awards …
- Juli Thanki: UPDATE: Brandy Clark got a Best New Artist nom. BEST AMERICANA ALBUM: Rosanne Cash -- The River & The Thread John Hiatt -- Terms …
- luckyoldsun: Glenn Campbell is great and I'd love to see him get an award, but the words of that song may …
- Casey Penn: Juli, it was an honor to write for you here on Engine145.com. You're good at what you do, and The …
- bob: Go Brandy FGL - Just go away.