Brad Paisley and Keith Urban Mull Over Idea of Joint Tour
- Brad Paisley on the possibility of touring with Keith Urban: “Both of our managers, who are very good, and I think we’ll work this out,” he said. “We’ll do some shows. I don’t know how much, but we’ll do some stuff together for sure.”
- Josh Gracin‘s unbelievable wife (Ann Marie) gave birth to the couple’s fourth child, daughter Isabella Sophia Gracin, on Wednesday.
- Out of 29 nominations at the CMA Awards, Kenny Chesney has only won three times other than his four entertainer of the year nods. In fact, he’s lost male vocalist seven years running and based on that information, Tom O’Neil suggests that maybe the industry is secretly dissing Chesney.
Since the CMA award is the Oscar of the Nashville music scene, it seems to be saying something curious and revealing about what the industry secretly thinks of that beer-chuckin’, back-slappin’, girl-chasin’ good ole boy: They respect Kenny Chesney as someone who can sell CDs and concert seats, but he’s not really respected as a vocal artist.
- Joe Jonas addressed his split with Taylor Swift, and some of the comments she has made, in his MySpace blog.
- Justin Townes Earle wrapped up the recording on his new album, Midnight at the Movies, and it’ll be released next March on Bloodshot Records.
- Crystal Shawanda scored trophies for “Best Country CD,” “Best New Artist” and “Single of the Year” at the 2008 Aboriginal Peoples Choice Music Awards held last Friday. (via NashvilleGab)
- Despite being down from previous years, the CMA Awards helped ABC dominate the ratings on Wednesday night.
- Billy Mata, a practitioner of western swing, began a tribute project for Tommy Duncan more than two years ago:
Blending the smooth crooners of the day with a bit of twang, Duncan — lead singer of Bob Wills and His Texas Playboys from the mid-1930s until World War II — was credited with helping the band appeal to a wider audience.
Mata thinks so, too.
The first of his three CD tribute, This Is Tommy Duncan, Volume One, was recently released and focuses on Duncan’s years with Bob Wills.
“He never quite got the praise and recognition that he deserved,” Mata said. “A lot of people don’t know that Bob Wills didn’t do all the singing. This is sort of an educational tribute to Tommy Duncan.”
- Andy Whitman dubs Darrell Scott‘s Modern Hymns the best Bluegrass album of 2008.
- Jewel told Access Hollywood’s CMA correspondent Maureen McCormick that she’ll be reducing the price of her album Perfectly Clear to one dollar for Black Friday and will be giving the proceeds to the Country Music Hall of Fame. (via reader email)
- Photocrap’s fifth country day of honest album covers features duets, duos, trios and bands. Find out who “Pre-Civil War Female” actually is or how the Eagles got included in country day.
- Asleep at the Wheel’s Ray Benson glazes over politics and discusses the paradigm shift in country music in an exclusive video interview with KVUE News inside his recording studio. He believes playing in the honky tonks and dancehalls gives artists an appreciation of what country music is and was, but believes there are many ways to make it in the business and sticks up for Carrie Underwood, who he says has a great sense of the history of country music.
- The fact that there’s only one country song on McSweeney’s list “Fifty Years of Popular Songs Condensed Into Single Sentences” doesn’t make it any less amusing.
- Big thanks to everyone for making yesterday our biggest day. Ever.
- Leeann Ward: Thanks, NM. I like a good pop hook, to be honest. So, maybe I need to try it again.
- Barry Mazor: OK, Jim Z. That changes everything. I surrender.
- Jim Z: to call the Dirty River Boys an "Austin area band" is still incorrect. They are based in El Paso.
- nm: Leeann, you and I often have similar tastes in more-traditional country. And, to my ears, Sam Hunt's voice and lyrics …
- Barry Mazor: Matter of fact, as always--I did. The notes say the album was recorded & mixed by and at "The …
- Roger: Looking forward to picking up the Jamey Johnson Christmas EP - love all of those songs and can't wait for …
- Jim Z: that record was recorded in El Paso. (you could look it up) and other than appearing in Austin once in …
- Leeann Ward: Yes, I can always use more dobro in my life! Thanks for the Phil Leadbetter tip! I haven't been able to …
- Barry Mazor: OK, Jim. The record's more or less out of Austin. But I'm sure they're also good in El Paso...
- Jim Z: Dirty River Boys are from El Paso, Texas.