Bonnie Hill Is On a Mission to Get Keith Whitley Honored In Hall of Fame
- Keith Whitley uber fan Bonnie Hill is on a mission to get the late singer recognized alongside all the legends already inducted into the Country Music Hall of Fame. Her online petition has amassed nearly 2,000 signatures, including those of Ralph Stanley, J.D. Crowe and Alan Frizzell. Hill knows her petition alone won’t get Whitely in, but she thinks his influence on modern artists like Ashton Shepherd and Kenny Chesney should keep his name in the mix.
- After filming for The Today Show, Blake Shelton put his fame and dignity to the test by walking the streets of New York City to see how many people really recognized who he was.
- Elvis Presley only recorded 20 Christmas songs, yet his 1957 release, Elvis’ Christmas Album, is the top-selling holiday release of all-time. With today’s technology, his Christmas songs are getting a new twist–they’ll be duets. Carrie Underwood, Martina McBride, LeAnn Rimes, Gretchen Wilson, Wynonna Judd, Sara Evans, Amy Grant and Anne Murray have all signed on to perform on Elvis Presley Christmas Duets, due out on Oct. 14.
- Richard Skanse conducted a short email Q&A with Jason Boland, whose surgery to remove a throat polyp falls on the same day of his album release.
Any co-writers you worked with on this album that you’d like to talk about? Anyone new, or old favorites that you’ve teamed up with again and again?
Roger Ray and I wrote a fun one he came up with called “The Party’s Not Over.” We revisit “Alright,” which is a [Cody] Canada collaboration from back in the day. Jonny Burke and Jackson Taylor also gave me their blessing on a couple.
- NBC’s daily video highlights of the Olympics will feature a new song written by Taylor Swift titled “Change.” The song will be available for download on iTunes tomorrow and will be included on her next album.
- AT&T put together a Team USA soundtrack for the Olympics which also includes Taylor Swift along with Lady Antebellum. Video previews of their songs are available on AT&T Team USA website.
- Chris Cagle calls “Never Ever Gone,” his newest single, the only love song with a negative connotation that makes him feel good.
- The Next GAC Star is down to its final six contestants. The finals will be televised on September 3rd and 10th, but for now you can check them out online and watch their music videos.
- In an effort to further his education, Squinty Dan is asking for your reading material suggestions on the subject of country music.
- Travis Tritt told Billboard that he has tentative plans to record a new album with his good friend Marty Stuart, who he’ll be doing an acoustic tour with this fall. Tritt says he’ll probably co-produce the album with Stuart and it will most likely be something stripped down like their tour.
- Chris Gray takes a look at how Texans Miranda Lambert and Hayes Carll fit in today’s country music landscape and how careers of past Texans have played out and influenced Nashville.
- Watch the new video for George Strait‘s “Troubador.” The video was directed by Trey Fanjoy, who directed Strait’s previous video two years ago, “Seashores of Old Mexico.”
- Update: Dixie Chick Emily Robison and Charlie Robison finalized their divorce yesterday.
- Andrew L.: Is it just me or does Strait sound horribly autotuned on the clips for the new live album? I can't …
- Juli Thanki: You'll get to hear it pretty soon: The Wall Street Journal is going to stream the album on their website …
- Leeann Ward: Way to go to David Cantwell for getting a name drop! Great interview, Juli! Womack's new album is awesome! I've not always …
- Jonathan Pappalardo: Great interview as always, Juli! The new album is fantastic. "Same Kind of Different" is my favorite cut although "Fly" is …
- Dave D.: Good interview. Looking forward to the new record, and particularly interested in hearing her version of Brennen Leigh's "Sleeping with …
- nm: I guess it's not surprising that a singer who gets her songs all over the place, the way Womack does, …
- SunsetPark: As a Pennsylvanian to this day, thanks for the list. I haven't heard the Quecreek song and so can't …
- Paul W Dennis: I would urge readers to check out the Billy Edd Wheeler salute on October 18, 2014. Billy Edd Wheeler is …
- Leeann Ward: I'm really liking Pink's folk duo song! I'm looking forward to the album!
- Donald: LOS, you made me giggle. Thank you.