Bobby Bland Passes Away; Holly Williams Placed on Vocal Rest; New Music Videos
- Bobby Bland passed away in Memphis yesterday at the age of 83. In The New York Times obituary, Bill Friskics-Warren writes, “Exhibiting a delicacy of phrasing and command of dynamics akin to those of the most urbane pop and jazz crooners, his intimate pleading left its mark on everyone from the soul singers Otis Redding and Wilson Pickett to rock groups like the Allman Brothers and the Band.”
- Jo Dee Messina passed her Kickstarter goal, raising more than $120,000 to make her new album.
- Tracy Lawrence also surpassed his fundraising goal for his new album, Headlights, Taillights and Radios.
- Tim O’Brien and Darrell Scott launched their fundraising campaign to make their next record.
- Stream Willie Nelson’s CMT Crossroads episode.
- Emily West posted a new song to her Soundcloud page; listen to “Break My Heart” here.
- The Raging Idiots partnered with Ashley Monroe to make a tongue-in-cheek song and music video for The Bobby Bones Show. Check out “(Country) Thrift Shop” here.
- Trace Adkins is filming a movie called Mom’s Night Out with Sarah Drew, Patricia Heaton and Sean Astin.
- Brett Eldredge unveiled the cover art and track listing for his August 6 release, Bring You Back.
- The National Association for Music Education honored Sarah Darling with the 2013 Stand Up for Music Award.
- Ashton Shepherd has landed a television gig: her show, Cookin’ Country, will premiere next month on eWave TV.
- Check out Jerrod Niemann covering Don Williams’ “Some Broken Hearts Never Mend.”
- CMT.com posted Stephen Deusner’s interview with John Fogerty.
- John Oates’s new album, Detours, will include guests Taylor Swift and Vince Gill.
- Holly Williams went to her Facebook page to announce that she’s taking a two-week break from touring to recover from polyps on her vocal cords.
- Clay Walker and his wife welcomed a baby boy.
- Nash FM’s America’s Morning Show made its debut last week. Blair Garner hosts and Lee Ann Womack, Chuck Wicks, Sunny Sweeney, and Terri Clark share co-hosting duties.
- Craig Morgan told Chuck Dauphin at Billboard that he’s confident his next single, “Wake Up Loving You,” will be the biggest of his career.
- Dauphin also posted a feature on David Nail.
- Shane Nicholson and Kasey Chambers are still friends and still collaborating after their split. The two recently performed together at a tribute for Slim Dusty.
- Congratulations to the winner of our Eagles DVD giveaway: Michael A. Check your email, Michael.
- New music videos from the past week or so:
Luke Bryan – “Crash My Party”
The Civil Wars – “The One That Got Away”
Thomas Rhett – “It Goes Like This”
Joel Crouse – “If You Want Some”
Jasmine Rae – “If I Want To”
Mike Aiken – “Save the Whales”
Preservation Hall Jazz Band – “Come with Me”
Joe Diffie featuring D-Thrash of Jawga Boyz – “Girl Ridin’ Shotgun”
- Dave W.: Just read the news here. Will miss E145 very much - love this site. All the best to you Juli …
- Leeann Ward: Oh, dang! This is real. Farewell to the most generous, informative, quality, intelligent, consistent, ethical country music blog! You …
- bll: Thanks Juli for all the great articles and information; you'll be missed by me and I suss several others. Best …
- Both Kinds of Music: I hope people appreciate the irony that one of the best "Americana" albums is titled Metamodern Sounds in COUNTRY Music.
- Barry Mazor: I would not rule out that possibility..There's a different set of voters involved..
- Dana M: Does anyone else think that Brandy Clark actually has a good chance of winning since this isn't a country awards …
- Juli Thanki: UPDATE: Brandy Clark got a Best New Artist nom. BEST AMERICANA ALBUM: Rosanne Cash -- The River & The Thread John Hiatt -- Terms …
- luckyoldsun: Glenn Campbell is great and I'd love to see him get an award, but the words of that song may …
- Casey Penn: Juli, it was an honor to write for you here on Engine145.com. You're good at what you do, and The …
- bob: Go Brandy FGL - Just go away.