Bobby Bland Passes Away; Holly Williams Placed on Vocal Rest; New Music Videos
- Bobby Bland passed away in Memphis yesterday at the age of 83. In The New York Times obituary, Bill Friskics-Warren writes, “Exhibiting a delicacy of phrasing and command of dynamics akin to those of the most urbane pop and jazz crooners, his intimate pleading left its mark on everyone from the soul singers Otis Redding and Wilson Pickett to rock groups like the Allman Brothers and the Band.”
- Jo Dee Messina passed her Kickstarter goal, raising more than $120,000 to make her new album.
- Tracy Lawrence also surpassed his fundraising goal for his new album, Headlights, Taillights and Radios.
- Tim O’Brien and Darrell Scott launched their fundraising campaign to make their next record.
- Stream Willie Nelson’s CMT Crossroads episode.
- Emily West posted a new song to her Soundcloud page; listen to “Break My Heart” here.
- The Raging Idiots partnered with Ashley Monroe to make a tongue-in-cheek song and music video for The Bobby Bones Show. Check out “(Country) Thrift Shop” here.
- Trace Adkins is filming a movie called Mom’s Night Out with Sarah Drew, Patricia Heaton and Sean Astin.
- Brett Eldredge unveiled the cover art and track listing for his August 6 release, Bring You Back.
- The National Association for Music Education honored Sarah Darling with the 2013 Stand Up for Music Award.
- Ashton Shepherd has landed a television gig: her show, Cookin’ Country, will premiere next month on eWave TV.
- Check out Jerrod Niemann covering Don Williams’ “Some Broken Hearts Never Mend.”
- CMT.com posted Stephen Deusner’s interview with John Fogerty.
- John Oates’s new album, Detours, will include guests Taylor Swift and Vince Gill.
- Holly Williams went to her Facebook page to announce that she’s taking a two-week break from touring to recover from polyps on her vocal cords.
- Clay Walker and his wife welcomed a baby boy.
- Nash FM’s America’s Morning Show made its debut last week. Blair Garner hosts and Lee Ann Womack, Chuck Wicks, Sunny Sweeney, and Terri Clark share co-hosting duties.
- Craig Morgan told Chuck Dauphin at Billboard that he’s confident his next single, “Wake Up Loving You,” will be the biggest of his career.
- Dauphin also posted a feature on David Nail.
- Shane Nicholson and Kasey Chambers are still friends and still collaborating after their split. The two recently performed together at a tribute for Slim Dusty.
- Congratulations to the winner of our Eagles DVD giveaway: Michael A. Check your email, Michael.
- New music videos from the past week or so:
Luke Bryan – “Crash My Party”
The Civil Wars – “The One That Got Away”
Thomas Rhett – “It Goes Like This”
Joel Crouse – “If You Want Some”
Jasmine Rae – “If I Want To”
Mike Aiken – “Save the Whales”
Preservation Hall Jazz Band – “Come with Me”
Joe Diffie featuring D-Thrash of Jawga Boyz – “Girl Ridin’ Shotgun”
- bob: Enjoyed the Himes article on classic baseball songs. Thanks. Himes also mentioned some books. To those he noted I would …
- luckyoldsun: Well it probably wasn't Larry Gatlin.
- A.B.: Anyone else think Marty Stuart might be part of Lakehouse Holdings that bought the Johnny Cash/Barry Gibb property?
- David Cantwell: Thanks, Andrew. It almost seems inevitable that the greatest singers--Sinatra and George Jones, say--just don't sing so well at the …
- Andrew: Very well put. I don't remember the last time an album gave me chills right from the opening note quite …
- TX Music Jim: All valid choices. I will forever hold out the hope that Gram Parsons, Jerry Jeff Walker and Gary Stewart will …
- Leeann Ward: Oops...the link: http://www.engine145.com/summer-lovin-ronnie-milsap-looks-back-new-album/
- Leeann Ward: Yes, great choices for inductees! In Milsap's case, I guess if you say it to Juli Thanki, it will happen!:): Do …
- Paul W Dennis: Delighted to see "The Voice With A Heart" being inducted - he is my all-time favorite bluegrass vocalist. Hank Cochran …
- luckyoldsun: I don't know what exactly makes one a national treasure, but I'd give that appellation to Mac Wiseman before the …