BMI Names Taylor Swift Songwriter of the Year, Bill Sherrill Icon; Catherine Britt’s Video for “Sweet Emmylou”
- Twenty-year-old Taylor Swift became the youngest songwriter of the year award winner at last night’s BMI Awards. She also became the first songwriter to win song of the year three years in a row; this year’s win was for her co-write with Liz Rose on “You Belong With Me.”
- In addition to his benefit concerts in Nashville, Garth Brooks scheduled new Las Vegas shows for Dec., Jan, and Feb. The new dates come with news of higher prices as well — $100 higher than before. After taxes and service charges, fans will be paying a grand total of $253.
- Todd Snider is going live for his next album, The Storyteller, due out on Feb. 1.
- Lyle Lovett played his “guts out” at Gruene Hall last night. Austin Music Source’s Patrick Beach has the review.
- Mickey Newbury was only in Nashville for less than a decade, but Houston Press’ William Michael Smith says he altered the musical landscape like few others have ever done:
Outside the semi-closed world of Nashville’s Music Row and a bevy of music geeks and fanatics that includes former No Depression editor Peter Blackstock, few people recognize Newbury or grasp the over-arching, almost unfathomable influence of this old Houston boy on modern country music.
- Ralph Emery is already in the Country Music Hall of Fame and last Saturday he became a member of the National Radio Hall of Fame.
- USA Today posted a video interview with Miranda Lambert.
- Another day, another record. With 193,000 copies sold, Jason Aldean‘s My Kinda of Party had the most first week sales by a male vocalist in over three years.
- Performing at the CMAs makes Alan Jackson anxious:
There’s not much that you can find enjoyable (laughs). That’s a tough gig, man. You’re keeping your fingers crossed that the microphone will be on when you step out there. The sound is kind of iffy sometimes. Sometimes it’s a music industry crowd, and they’re not always that happy to see you. It can make you a little anxious and it’s a hard performing gig, but it’s always great to be on the show. It’s the biggest awards show for country music.
- Dierks Bentley had pickups haul guests up to “The Ridge” on his property last night for a special shindig to thank radio for playing his songs.
- When considering the past year in music, Country California urges you not to forget the soundtracks.
- For her appearance on Coal Miner’s Daughter: A Tribute to Loretta Lynn, Paste’s Andrew Leahey says Lucinda Williams slurs her way from note to note like the town drunk, and that Miranda Lambert plows duet partner Sheryl Crow into the ground on “Coal Miner’s Daughter,” but for the most part, the disc’s highlights come from those outside the country genre.
- Carrie Underwood earned a few nominations in the People’s Choice Awards. Other nominees include Taylor Swift, Tim McGraw, Lady Antebellum, Rascal Flatts, and Keith Urban.
Country music could use more songs and performances like this:
- Scooter: I agree Holly Williams can do no wrong in my eyes. Such a good album and great to see live …
- Carrie Mclaughlin: Your my Hero Mr. Jim Lauderdale!!! Come to Alaska Please? hehehehe
- Jeremy Dylan: You should check it out Dave D. It's from the first (and strongest) season.
- Leeann: Wow! I love that Holly William's cover of "No Surrender"! She's gotten to be so good.
- luckyoldsun: I made it through a minute of that "Girl In a Country Song Video." Man, that sucks.
- lindsay thomas: Wife and I saw these guys last Thursday night, (7-24-14) at the Ryman in Nashville. What a show. …
- Donald: I'm guessing that is meant to read 're-release' Detroit to Wheeling, as the double album originally appeared on Pinecastle in …
- Michael A.: Has anyone else had a difficult time trying to get the free download from the Reba site?
- Dave D.: I can't believe that I never saw the Willie Nelson Monk episode - and it was a Sharona episode, as …
- nm: Taylor Swift was on CSI once. Not only was Steve Earle on The Wire, in one episode Omar quoted him about …