BMI Names Taylor Swift Songwriter of the Year, Bill Sherrill Icon; Catherine Britt’s Video for “Sweet Emmylou”
- Twenty-year-old Taylor Swift became the youngest songwriter of the year award winner at last night’s BMI Awards. She also became the first songwriter to win song of the year three years in a row; this year’s win was for her co-write with Liz Rose on “You Belong With Me.”
- In addition to his benefit concerts in Nashville, Garth Brooks scheduled new Las Vegas shows for Dec., Jan, and Feb. The new dates come with news of higher prices as well — $100 higher than before. After taxes and service charges, fans will be paying a grand total of $253.
- Todd Snider is going live for his next album, The Storyteller, due out on Feb. 1.
- Lyle Lovett played his “guts out” at Gruene Hall last night. Austin Music Source’s Patrick Beach has the review.
- Mickey Newbury was only in Nashville for less than a decade, but Houston Press’ William Michael Smith says he altered the musical landscape like few others have ever done:
Outside the semi-closed world of Nashville’s Music Row and a bevy of music geeks and fanatics that includes former No Depression editor Peter Blackstock, few people recognize Newbury or grasp the over-arching, almost unfathomable influence of this old Houston boy on modern country music.
- Ralph Emery is already in the Country Music Hall of Fame and last Saturday he became a member of the National Radio Hall of Fame.
- USA Today posted a video interview with Miranda Lambert.
- Another day, another record. With 193,000 copies sold, Jason Aldean‘s My Kinda of Party had the most first week sales by a male vocalist in over three years.
- Performing at the CMAs makes Alan Jackson anxious:
There’s not much that you can find enjoyable (laughs). That’s a tough gig, man. You’re keeping your fingers crossed that the microphone will be on when you step out there. The sound is kind of iffy sometimes. Sometimes it’s a music industry crowd, and they’re not always that happy to see you. It can make you a little anxious and it’s a hard performing gig, but it’s always great to be on the show. It’s the biggest awards show for country music.
- Dierks Bentley had pickups haul guests up to “The Ridge” on his property last night for a special shindig to thank radio for playing his songs.
- When considering the past year in music, Country California urges you not to forget the soundtracks.
- For her appearance on Coal Miner’s Daughter: A Tribute to Loretta Lynn, Paste’s Andrew Leahey says Lucinda Williams slurs her way from note to note like the town drunk, and that Miranda Lambert plows duet partner Sheryl Crow into the ground on “Coal Miner’s Daughter,” but for the most part, the disc’s highlights come from those outside the country genre.
- Carrie Underwood earned a few nominations in the People’s Choice Awards. Other nominees include Taylor Swift, Tim McGraw, Lady Antebellum, Rascal Flatts, and Keith Urban.
Country music could use more songs and performances like this:
- Paige: Oh damn. :( I never commented here and I haven't been listening to any music at all since Thanksgiving (it …
- Dave W.: Just read the news here. Will miss E145 very much - love this site. All the best to you Juli …
- Leeann Ward: Oh, dang! This is real. Farewell to the most generous, informative, quality, intelligent, consistent, ethical country music blog! You …
- bll: Thanks Juli for all the great articles and information; you'll be missed by me and I suss several others. Best …
- Both Kinds of Music: I hope people appreciate the irony that one of the best "Americana" albums is titled Metamodern Sounds in COUNTRY Music.
- Barry Mazor: I would not rule out that possibility..There's a different set of voters involved..
- Dana M: Does anyone else think that Brandy Clark actually has a good chance of winning since this isn't a country awards …
- Juli Thanki: UPDATE: Brandy Clark got a Best New Artist nom. BEST AMERICANA ALBUM: Rosanne Cash -- The River & The Thread John Hiatt -- Terms …
- luckyoldsun: Glenn Campbell is great and I'd love to see him get an award, but the words of that song may …
- Casey Penn: Juli, it was an honor to write for you here on Engine145.com. You're good at what you do, and The …