Bluegrass Leads Week’s New Releases
New releases for the week of May 5, 2009 include:
- The A Truer Sound blogger shared mp3s of a few of his favorite songs from his record collection: “Private John Q” and “My Uncle Used To Love Me But She Died” from Roger Miller and Vern Gosdin‘s “Mother Country Music” and “The Chokin’ Kind.”
- McCoury Music will release a new box set on May 12 titled Celebrating 50 Years of Del McCoury.
- Even though the uptempo Joey + Rory song “Cheater, Cheater” only made it to No. 30 on the country charts, Craig Shelburne says the song remains a fan favorite in their live show — especially the “white trash ho” line.
- Bob Dylan says Billy Joe Shaver and David Allan Coe became his favorite guys in the outlaw genre.
- Ninety Mile Wind’s Craig Bickhardt wonders where all the compelling song titles have gone.
If I write a 500 page book called “Headache”, will you want to read it? That’s how I feel when I see a song called “Love” (see the latest Sugarland CD). On the same CD we find “Keep You” and another called “Very Last Country Song”. Glancing at the latest Rascal Flatts CD I see the first two cuts are “Take Me There” and “Here”. My first thought is why weren’t they able to find a song called “Everywhere” to round out a trilogy?
- In an interview with Michael Kosser for American Songwriter, Darius Rucker talks about his transition from Hootie & the Blowfish to mainstream country and what that meant for his songwriting.
- And in another interview for American Songwriter, this time with Craig Shelburne, Dierks Bentley talks about his early years in Nashville, working for TNN and bumming tickets to the Grand Ole Opry, signing his publishing deal and recent collaborations with Rodney Crowell and Patty Griffin.
- Dehlia Low vocalist and fiddler Anya Hinkle shared the particulars behind the band and the making of their new album, Tellico.
- Filming for a new RFD-TV series titled Tru-Country will take place on May 29 in Hamilton, TX. Heather Myles (MySpace) is producing the series and describes it as “Austin City Limits for hardcore country music.” A different artist will be presented each week from the following roster: Jake Hooker, Amber Digby, Justin Trevino, Heather Myles, Dallas Wayne, Darrell McCall, Miss Leslie, Bobby Flores, Leona Williams and James Hand. (via Miss Leslie)
- The Bluegrass Blog on the new Doyle Lawson & Quicksilver album Lonely Street:
The material is drawn from some of today’s top songwriters, with a number of classics thrown into the mix. New songs included came from Carl Jackson, Buddy Cannon, Mark Simos and Chris Stuart. Lawson also covers songs from Marty Robbins and Porter Wagoner, in addition to the title song which was a hit in the late 1950s and the 1960s for Andy Williams and Patsy Cline, performed here as a vocal trio throughout.
- Congrats to Kelly Dearmore for hitting the two year mark on The Gobblers Knob. He has a couple of changes in store for the coming week, but until then, check out his introduction to, and concert review of, the Dallas-based band The King Bucks (MySpace).
- Dave W.: Just read the news here. Will miss E145 very much - love this site. All the best to you Juli …
- Leeann Ward: Oh, dang! This is real. Farewell to the most generous, informative, quality, intelligent, consistent, ethical country music blog! You …
- bll: Thanks Juli for all the great articles and information; you'll be missed by me and I suss several others. Best …
- Both Kinds of Music: I hope people appreciate the irony that one of the best "Americana" albums is titled Metamodern Sounds in COUNTRY Music.
- Barry Mazor: I would not rule out that possibility..There's a different set of voters involved..
- Dana M: Does anyone else think that Brandy Clark actually has a good chance of winning since this isn't a country awards …
- Juli Thanki: UPDATE: Brandy Clark got a Best New Artist nom. BEST AMERICANA ALBUM: Rosanne Cash -- The River & The Thread John Hiatt -- Terms …
- luckyoldsun: Glenn Campbell is great and I'd love to see him get an award, but the words of that song may …
- Casey Penn: Juli, it was an honor to write for you here on Engine145.com. You're good at what you do, and The …
- bob: Go Brandy FGL - Just go away.