Bluegrass Broadcaster Ray Davis Retires After 65-Year Career; Alan Jackson to Play MerleFest 2014; Album Releases
- Chris Young will appear on The Ellen DeGeneres Show October 2 to sing “Aw Naw.” (via press release)
- Here’s a fine piece on Bob McDill that J. Clayton L. Jones wrote for American Songwriter.
- You, Person of Superlative Musical Tastes, probably have no need to find a place to start with Merle Haggard. But if you know someone who does, David Cantwell picked a number of Hag recordings to help get him or her off the ground. You might want to read the post and give the playlist a listen anyway, because you can never have too much Merle.
- Happy trails to bluegrass DJ Ray Davis, who retires after a 65-year career in radio. His last show was broadcast yesterday on WAMU’s Bluegrass Country, but due to technical difficulties, it’ll be rebroadcast on a future date.
- Patty Griffin’s Silver Bell will finally be officially released next week. Give a listen to her original version of “Truth #2.”
- Ben Sollee’s The Hollow Sessions, featuring his versions of songs by Bill Monroe, Gillian Welch, Otis Redding, and others, is available for download on NoiseTrade.
- Alan Jackson will play next year’s MerleFest.
- The Nashville Time Machine returns today; they’re kicking off a new season with Mandolin Orange.
- Stream Willie Nelson’s new duets with Loretta Lynn (warning: autoplay) and Sheryl Crow. Speaking of Nelson, the stuffed armadillo stolen from the stage at one of his concerts has been returned.
- Tony Arata shares the story behind “The Dance” in a video interview.
- The Band’s “It Makes No Difference” is the American Songwriter Song of the Week.
- Stream Lady Antebellum’s new single, “Compass.”
- Mountain Fever Records has signed the Darrell Webb Band. The group’s 20th anniversary album will be released in early 2014. (via press release)
- Linda Ronstadt continues to rule, as she reveals that she doesn’t care about Hall of Fame Inductions, has never seen American Idol, and isn’t sure where her Grammy Awards are.
- Inventing the American Guitar: The Pre-Civil War Innovations of C.F. Martin and His Contemporaries sounds like a neat book.
- Kimberly Perry got engaged to Blue Jays catcher J.P. Arencibia. Their children will have fantastic triceps.
- My Prairie Home, a documentary about trans singer-songwriter Rae Spoon, made its Vancouver International Film Festival debut.
- The Inside Llewyn Davis concert, called “Another Day, Another Time,” happened in NYC over the weekend. Joan Baez, Carolina Chocolate Drop Rhiannon Giddens, and others performed, with Punch Brothers serving as the house band.
- The Old 97s talk about recording with Waylon Jennings in this Texas Monthly interview.
- This week’s album releases:
Randy Travis – Influence, Vol. 1: The Man I Am
James King – Three Chords and the Truth
John David Kent – Before the Sun Comes Up
Becky Schlegel – Opry Lullaby
Wood Brothers – The Muse
Charlie Robison – High Life
Old & In the Way — The Complete Boarding House Tapes
Tyler Farr – Redneck Crazy
Blind Boys of Alabama – I’ll Find a Way
The Deep Dark Woods – Jubilee
Lou Reid & Carolina – 20th Anniversary Concert: Live at the Down Home
Old 97s/Waylon Jennings – Old 97s/Waylon Jennings
Steve Poltz – Running Wild: The Life of Dayton O. Hyde
Hank3 – Brothers of the 4×4
- And a DVD:
Linda Ronstadt – Love Has No Pride
- Plus a book:
Levon Helm with Stephen Davis – This Wheel’s on Fire: Levon Helm and the Story of The Band (updated edition)
- A.B.: Mr. Mazor - I like that it's a well kept secret. Always keeps one guessing! Luckyoldsun - Here's the press release: …
- Leeann Ward: What a wonderful album. While The Outsider, Houston Kid and Fate's Right Hand are still my favorite Crowell albums, this …
- Barry Mazor: Luckyol; I've tried hard as I can to clarify the facts on the Artist-in-Residence thing for you. Sometimes, yes, …
- luckyoldsun: A.B. I didn't see the release that you're referring to, but I'll say Skaggs is the odds-on favorite. He has the …
- Barry Mazor: The categories for this year, the schedule says, Daniel, are, as every year, Modern era (ending 20 years back for …
- Daniel Mullins: Mr. Mazor- In your opinion, who do you think will be/should be inducted into the Hall on April 22nd?
- Barry Mazor: My own suggestion would be that it probably wouldn't pay off to read those sorts of things into Kyle Young's …
- A.B.: Barry's article was good. The quote from Mr Young mentioning Ralph Stanley is making me speculate though. He was probably …
- Janice Brooks: got this album early this morning and added Frankie Please for now.
- Daniel Mullins: I agree 100%. This is definitely one of Croweel's strongest albums. You can't help but feel more confident about yourself …