Bluegrass Broadcaster Ray Davis Retires After 65-Year Career; Alan Jackson to Play MerleFest 2014; Album Releases
- Chris Young will appear on The Ellen DeGeneres Show October 2 to sing “Aw Naw.” (via press release)
- Here’s a fine piece on Bob McDill that J. Clayton L. Jones wrote for American Songwriter.
- You, Person of Superlative Musical Tastes, probably have no need to find a place to start with Merle Haggard. But if you know someone who does, David Cantwell picked a number of Hag recordings to help get him or her off the ground. You might want to read the post and give the playlist a listen anyway, because you can never have too much Merle.
- Happy trails to bluegrass DJ Ray Davis, who retires after a 65-year career in radio. His last show was broadcast yesterday on WAMU’s Bluegrass Country, but due to technical difficulties, it’ll be rebroadcast on a future date.
- Patty Griffin’s Silver Bell will finally be officially released next week. Give a listen to her original version of “Truth #2.”
- Ben Sollee’s The Hollow Sessions, featuring his versions of songs by Bill Monroe, Gillian Welch, Otis Redding, and others, is available for download on NoiseTrade.
- Alan Jackson will play next year’s MerleFest.
- The Nashville Time Machine returns today; they’re kicking off a new season with Mandolin Orange.
- Stream Willie Nelson’s new duets with Loretta Lynn (warning: autoplay) and Sheryl Crow. Speaking of Nelson, the stuffed armadillo stolen from the stage at one of his concerts has been returned.
- Tony Arata shares the story behind “The Dance” in a video interview.
- The Band’s “It Makes No Difference” is the American Songwriter Song of the Week.
- Stream Lady Antebellum’s new single, “Compass.”
- Mountain Fever Records has signed the Darrell Webb Band. The group’s 20th anniversary album will be released in early 2014. (via press release)
- Linda Ronstadt continues to rule, as she reveals that she doesn’t care about Hall of Fame Inductions, has never seen American Idol, and isn’t sure where her Grammy Awards are.
- Inventing the American Guitar: The Pre-Civil War Innovations of C.F. Martin and His Contemporaries sounds like a neat book.
- Kimberly Perry got engaged to Blue Jays catcher J.P. Arencibia. Their children will have fantastic triceps.
- My Prairie Home, a documentary about trans singer-songwriter Rae Spoon, made its Vancouver International Film Festival debut.
- The Inside Llewyn Davis concert, called “Another Day, Another Time,” happened in NYC over the weekend. Joan Baez, Carolina Chocolate Drop Rhiannon Giddens, and others performed, with Punch Brothers serving as the house band.
- The Old 97s talk about recording with Waylon Jennings in this Texas Monthly interview.
- This week’s album releases:
Randy Travis – Influence, Vol. 1: The Man I Am
James King – Three Chords and the Truth
John David Kent – Before the Sun Comes Up
Becky Schlegel – Opry Lullaby
Wood Brothers – The Muse
Charlie Robison – High Life
Old & In the Way — The Complete Boarding House Tapes
Tyler Farr – Redneck Crazy
Blind Boys of Alabama – I’ll Find a Way
The Deep Dark Woods – Jubilee
Lou Reid & Carolina – 20th Anniversary Concert: Live at the Down Home
Old 97s/Waylon Jennings – Old 97s/Waylon Jennings
Steve Poltz – Running Wild: The Life of Dayton O. Hyde
Hank3 – Brothers of the 4×4
- And a DVD:
Linda Ronstadt – Love Has No Pride
- Plus a book:
Levon Helm with Stephen Davis – This Wheel’s on Fire: Levon Helm and the Story of The Band (updated edition)
- Arlene: I'd have included "Omie Wise." Doc Watson's is the version I'm familiar with but I think it's been recorded by …
- luckyoldsun: I think the number one country murder ballad is "Frankie and Johnny"--by Jimmie. Also, how about "Delia's Gone" from Harry Belafonte …
- Juli Thanki: Colloquial use of "fantastic" as a synonym for "excellent" dates back to the 1930s. And if it's good enough for …
- Paul W Dennis: I think "Banks of The Ohio", "Miller's Cave" and "It's Nothing to Me" are far creepier than several of the …
- Paul W Dennis: The Hight article is interesting, although I don't know that I would describe it as fantastic, but then I know …
- Dana M: I'm actually excited to hear a new Reba album. As for the Alan Jackson tour, I hope he announces Canadian …
- nm: Agreed. A good job by three very smart women.
- Deremy Jylan: The Hight piece is tremendous reading.
- Juli Thanki: Much like the music of Aldean and FGL, Michelob Ultra is favored by college kids and too much exposure will …
- Tom: ...michelob ultra seems to be a brew from hell.