Bloody Altercation Ruins Wayne Hancock Release Party
- Austin360′s Michael Corcoran says Wednesday was supposed to be a big night for Wayne “The Train” Hancock, who was scheduled to have a CD release show for “Viper of Melody. Instead Hancock was busy rehearsing new musicians after two of his were involved in a brutal fight (or attack, depending on whose side you take).
Hancock said he stands by his steel player. “The first thing I want to make sure is that Tony’s medical bills are taken care of,” said Hancock, who added a benefit concert may be in the offing. “As for Izzy [Zaidman], I hope they send him to jail.”
Visit the article for a link to a “gruesome,” post-altercation photo of Tony Locke.
- David Serby‘s third record, Honky Tonk and Vine, is slated for a May 11 release and he’s hired a serious marketing team to build his profile so that he can more easily tour outside of Southern California. This is a good thing.
- Watch the video premiere of Billy Currington‘s “People Are Crazy.”
- Jimmy Dean‘s house, which recently burned down, was valued at $1.3 million and Dean’s wife estimates that the mementos lost in the fire could total in the millions as well. The family’s caretaker, Stefan Gunn, was able to save the Grammy that Dean won for “Big Bad John” in 1962, the gold record that was earned for the recitation and autographed photos of several presidents and Elvis.
- Farce the Music posted a .99 review of Jack Ingram‘s “Barefoot and Crazy.”
Results from the 40th Annual GMA Dove Awards are in and the winners in the bluegrass and country categories are:
- Bluegrass Recorded Song of the Year: “They’re Holding Up The Ladder” by Jeff & Sheri Easter
- Country Recorded Song of the Year: “I Wish” by Point of Grace
- Bluegrass Album of the Year: We Are Family – Jeff & Sheri Easter
- Country Album of the Year: Around the Bend – Randy Travis
- The Oak Ridge Boys talked about their new album in an interview with Ashlie Kolb for Nashville At Nite.
- Download Eli Young Band‘s full Jet Black and Jealous album for a mere $0.99. (via Country Universe)
- Country California hit the big one year mark yesterday and C.M. Wilcox used the occasion to comment on the increasing importance of country music blogs.
As the shift continues, I hope that the people who started out on blogs (including myself, to whom this advice is secretly addressed) will approach their work with a renewed vigor and sense of responsibility. The quality of the content doesn’t matter much if we assume that blogs are merely supplementing or responding to conversations held in print or in popular culture.
- Alt-512 compiled a list of 13 albums released in the last 10 years that can be considered perfect. Corb Lund, Guy Clark and Reckless Kelly each scored a spot.
Here’s a video of Rodney Hayden performing “Nuevo Laredo” at Gruene Hall on Tuesday as part of the New American Voices Tour. Video of Drew Kennedy
is in the works and will be posted on Mondayfinally finished processing. His performance of “Goodbye” is below. Keep checking the NAV website and we’ll get a couple of videos added there, too.
- bob: @Leeann - Don Schlitz's wife Stacy is also a good singer. At some of his shows, she'll sing a song …
- Leeann: It's hardly on topic, but Don Schlitz's wife is an actual lawyer.
- Erik North: I like that list of country songs that Laura Cantrell drew up for people who are suspicious of the genre. …
- Leeann: Thank you for linking to my discussion. To clarify, they're not so much my favorite Dad songs, but rather, songs …
- Jack: "I got turned off a not so new guy’s music after he started recording songs like “Get Drunk and Be …
- A.B.: I think I understand why the eating disorder facility wants to be located there besides it being the former Cash …
- Janice Brooks: Hopes somebody gets those memos about drinking songs. Meanwhile I'm feeling a lot of slots with Bluegrass.
- Leeann: Great news about Ricky Skaggs and Sharon White's duet album! Absolutely appalling about the Keith Urban concert!! Both the rape and …
- bob: I found the Billboard article about country music radio needing an alcohol intervention interesting. Songwriter Adam Wright is quoted as …
- Matt: Definitely agree with C.M. about Maddie & Tae. Certainly not the tidal wave of change some claimed it is or …