Bloody Altercation Ruins Wayne Hancock Release Party
- Austin360’s Michael Corcoran says Wednesday was supposed to be a big night for Wayne “The Train” Hancock, who was scheduled to have a CD release show for “Viper of Melody. Instead Hancock was busy rehearsing new musicians after two of his were involved in a brutal fight (or attack, depending on whose side you take).
Hancock said he stands by his steel player. “The first thing I want to make sure is that Tony’s medical bills are taken care of,” said Hancock, who added a benefit concert may be in the offing. “As for Izzy [Zaidman], I hope they send him to jail.”
Visit the article for a link to a “gruesome,” post-altercation photo of Tony Locke.
- David Serby‘s third record, Honky Tonk and Vine, is slated for a May 11 release and he’s hired a serious marketing team to build his profile so that he can more easily tour outside of Southern California. This is a good thing.
- Watch the video premiere of Billy Currington‘s “People Are Crazy.”
- Jimmy Dean‘s house, which recently burned down, was valued at $1.3 million and Dean’s wife estimates that the mementos lost in the fire could total in the millions as well. The family’s caretaker, Stefan Gunn, was able to save the Grammy that Dean won for “Big Bad John” in 1962, the gold record that was earned for the recitation and autographed photos of several presidents and Elvis.
- Farce the Music posted a .99 review of Jack Ingram‘s “Barefoot and Crazy.”
Results from the 40th Annual GMA Dove Awards are in and the winners in the bluegrass and country categories are:
- Bluegrass Recorded Song of the Year: “They’re Holding Up The Ladder” by Jeff & Sheri Easter
- Country Recorded Song of the Year: “I Wish” by Point of Grace
- Bluegrass Album of the Year: We Are Family – Jeff & Sheri Easter
- Country Album of the Year: Around the Bend – Randy Travis
- The Oak Ridge Boys talked about their new album in an interview with Ashlie Kolb for Nashville At Nite.
- Download Eli Young Band‘s full Jet Black and Jealous album for a mere $0.99. (via Country Universe)
- Country California hit the big one year mark yesterday and C.M. Wilcox used the occasion to comment on the increasing importance of country music blogs.
As the shift continues, I hope that the people who started out on blogs (including myself, to whom this advice is secretly addressed) will approach their work with a renewed vigor and sense of responsibility. The quality of the content doesn’t matter much if we assume that blogs are merely supplementing or responding to conversations held in print or in popular culture.
- Alt-512 compiled a list of 13 albums released in the last 10 years that can be considered perfect. Corb Lund, Guy Clark and Reckless Kelly each scored a spot.
Here’s a video of Rodney Hayden performing “Nuevo Laredo” at Gruene Hall on Tuesday as part of the New American Voices Tour. Video of Drew Kennedy
is in the works and will be posted on Mondayfinally finished processing. His performance of “Goodbye” is below. Keep checking the NAV website and we’ll get a couple of videos added there, too.
- luckyoldsun: Looks like CMT is pulling a "surprise" for its Artists' Choice countdown. They're coming up on #2 but there are …
- Jim Z: " Luke Bryan (Best Country Male Artist), Brantley Gilbert’s Just as I Am (Best Country Album), Carrie Underwood (Best Country …
- luckyoldsun: MH-- "...divisive, dismissive and argumentative." There's a shock. Who'da thunk it.
- MH: Looks like the IBMA is finding out what a lot of us already knew about former & frequent Engine 145 …
- Tom: ...it is almost the year 2015 - ain't it about time we leave people (celebrities included) having the personal relations …
- Paul W Dennis: I had assumed that Herndon was gay after the incident that Lucky Old Sun referenced, but bought the next Herndon …
- Jonathan Pappalardo: For anyone who wants to buy it, the Rosanne Cash 45 is available again. With 1000 copies being created, I …
- luckyoldsun: It seemed that the old morals arrest incident really did Herndon in. He was a pretty big country star before …
- CraigR.: Hopefully in the future being gay or straight won't matter at all. And then people won't have to hide their …
- Bruce: Jim has a remarkable voice for his age. Heck, for any age.