Bloody Altercation Ruins Wayne Hancock Release Party
- Austin360’s Michael Corcoran says Wednesday was supposed to be a big night for Wayne “The Train” Hancock, who was scheduled to have a CD release show for “Viper of Melody. Instead Hancock was busy rehearsing new musicians after two of his were involved in a brutal fight (or attack, depending on whose side you take).
Hancock said he stands by his steel player. “The first thing I want to make sure is that Tony’s medical bills are taken care of,” said Hancock, who added a benefit concert may be in the offing. “As for Izzy [Zaidman], I hope they send him to jail.”
Visit the article for a link to a “gruesome,” post-altercation photo of Tony Locke.
- David Serby‘s third record, Honky Tonk and Vine, is slated for a May 11 release and he’s hired a serious marketing team to build his profile so that he can more easily tour outside of Southern California. This is a good thing.
- Watch the video premiere of Billy Currington‘s “People Are Crazy.”
- Jimmy Dean‘s house, which recently burned down, was valued at $1.3 million and Dean’s wife estimates that the mementos lost in the fire could total in the millions as well. The family’s caretaker, Stefan Gunn, was able to save the Grammy that Dean won for “Big Bad John” in 1962, the gold record that was earned for the recitation and autographed photos of several presidents and Elvis.
- Farce the Music posted a .99 review of Jack Ingram‘s “Barefoot and Crazy.”
Results from the 40th Annual GMA Dove Awards are in and the winners in the bluegrass and country categories are:
- Bluegrass Recorded Song of the Year: “They’re Holding Up The Ladder” by Jeff & Sheri Easter
- Country Recorded Song of the Year: “I Wish” by Point of Grace
- Bluegrass Album of the Year: We Are Family – Jeff & Sheri Easter
- Country Album of the Year: Around the Bend – Randy Travis
- The Oak Ridge Boys talked about their new album in an interview with Ashlie Kolb for Nashville At Nite.
- Download Eli Young Band‘s full Jet Black and Jealous album for a mere $0.99. (via Country Universe)
- Country California hit the big one year mark yesterday and C.M. Wilcox used the occasion to comment on the increasing importance of country music blogs.
As the shift continues, I hope that the people who started out on blogs (including myself, to whom this advice is secretly addressed) will approach their work with a renewed vigor and sense of responsibility. The quality of the content doesn’t matter much if we assume that blogs are merely supplementing or responding to conversations held in print or in popular culture.
- Alt-512 compiled a list of 13 albums released in the last 10 years that can be considered perfect. Corb Lund, Guy Clark and Reckless Kelly each scored a spot.
Here’s a video of Rodney Hayden performing “Nuevo Laredo” at Gruene Hall on Tuesday as part of the New American Voices Tour. Video of Drew Kennedy
is in the works and will be posted on Mondayfinally finished processing. His performance of “Goodbye” is below. Keep checking the NAV website and we’ll get a couple of videos added there, too.
- Applejack: It's not just you, Andrew L. I just listened to the clips on Amazon, and the autotune effect is terrible.
- Andrew L.: Is it just me or does Strait sound horribly autotuned on the clips for the new live album? I can't …
- Juli Thanki: You'll get to hear it pretty soon: The Wall Street Journal is going to stream the album on their website …
- Leeann Ward: Way to go to David Cantwell for getting a name drop! Great interview, Juli! Womack's new album is awesome! I've not always …
- Jonathan Pappalardo: Great interview as always, Juli! The new album is fantastic. "Same Kind of Different" is my favorite cut although "Fly" is …
- Dave D.: Good interview. Looking forward to the new record, and particularly interested in hearing her version of Brennen Leigh's "Sleeping with …
- nm: I guess it's not surprising that a singer who gets her songs all over the place, the way Womack does, …
- SunsetPark: As a Pennsylvanian to this day, thanks for the list. I haven't heard the Quecreek song and so can't …
- Paul W Dennis: I would urge readers to check out the Billy Edd Wheeler salute on October 18, 2014. Billy Edd Wheeler is …
- Leeann Ward: I'm really liking Pink's folk duo song! I'm looking forward to the album!