Bloody Altercation Ruins Wayne Hancock Release Party
- Austin360’s Michael Corcoran says Wednesday was supposed to be a big night for Wayne “The Train” Hancock, who was scheduled to have a CD release show for “Viper of Melody. Instead Hancock was busy rehearsing new musicians after two of his were involved in a brutal fight (or attack, depending on whose side you take).
Hancock said he stands by his steel player. “The first thing I want to make sure is that Tony’s medical bills are taken care of,” said Hancock, who added a benefit concert may be in the offing. “As for Izzy [Zaidman], I hope they send him to jail.”
Visit the article for a link to a “gruesome,” post-altercation photo of Tony Locke.
- David Serby‘s third record, Honky Tonk and Vine, is slated for a May 11 release and he’s hired a serious marketing team to build his profile so that he can more easily tour outside of Southern California. This is a good thing.
- Watch the video premiere of Billy Currington‘s “People Are Crazy.”
- Jimmy Dean‘s house, which recently burned down, was valued at $1.3 million and Dean’s wife estimates that the mementos lost in the fire could total in the millions as well. The family’s caretaker, Stefan Gunn, was able to save the Grammy that Dean won for “Big Bad John” in 1962, the gold record that was earned for the recitation and autographed photos of several presidents and Elvis.
- Farce the Music posted a .99 review of Jack Ingram‘s “Barefoot and Crazy.”
Results from the 40th Annual GMA Dove Awards are in and the winners in the bluegrass and country categories are:
- Bluegrass Recorded Song of the Year: “They’re Holding Up The Ladder” by Jeff & Sheri Easter
- Country Recorded Song of the Year: “I Wish” by Point of Grace
- Bluegrass Album of the Year: We Are Family – Jeff & Sheri Easter
- Country Album of the Year: Around the Bend – Randy Travis
- The Oak Ridge Boys talked about their new album in an interview with Ashlie Kolb for Nashville At Nite.
- Download Eli Young Band‘s full Jet Black and Jealous album for a mere $0.99. (via Country Universe)
- Country California hit the big one year mark yesterday and C.M. Wilcox used the occasion to comment on the increasing importance of country music blogs.
As the shift continues, I hope that the people who started out on blogs (including myself, to whom this advice is secretly addressed) will approach their work with a renewed vigor and sense of responsibility. The quality of the content doesn’t matter much if we assume that blogs are merely supplementing or responding to conversations held in print or in popular culture.
- Alt-512 compiled a list of 13 albums released in the last 10 years that can be considered perfect. Corb Lund, Guy Clark and Reckless Kelly each scored a spot.
Here’s a video of Rodney Hayden performing “Nuevo Laredo” at Gruene Hall on Tuesday as part of the New American Voices Tour. Video of Drew Kennedy
is in the works and will be posted on Mondayfinally finished processing. His performance of “Goodbye” is below. Keep checking the NAV website and we’ll get a couple of videos added there, too.
- Ken Morton, Jr.: Another twisted collection of songs to put into the Friday Five Hall of Fame, Juli.
- Arlene: I'd have included "Omie Wise." Doc Watson's is the version I'm familiar with but I think it's been recorded by …
- luckyoldsun: I think the number one country murder ballad is "Frankie and Johnny"--by Jimmie. Also, how about "Delia's Gone" from Harry Belafonte …
- Juli Thanki: Colloquial use of "fantastic" as a synonym for "excellent" dates back to the 1930s. And if it's good enough for …
- Paul W Dennis: I think "Banks of The Ohio", "Miller's Cave" and "It's Nothing to Me" are far creepier than several of the …
- Paul W Dennis: The Hight article is interesting, although I don't know that I would describe it as fantastic, but then I know …
- Dana M: I'm actually excited to hear a new Reba album. As for the Alan Jackson tour, I hope he announces Canadian …
- nm: Agreed. A good job by three very smart women.
- Deremy Jylan: The Hight piece is tremendous reading.
- Juli Thanki: Much like the music of Aldean and FGL, Michelob Ultra is favored by college kids and too much exposure will …