Blake Shelton Has Third Consecutive No. 1; Dwight Yoakam: Better Actor Than Guitarist; 5-Year-Old Sings Caitlin Rose
- For the first time in his career, Blake Shelton hit No. 1 three consecutive times. The latest single to top the charts, and Shelton’s eighth overall, is “Who Are You When I’m Not Looking.”
- Studies show that Nashville is a major force in popular music…
- Jewly Hight on the track “Chances Are,” from Hayes Carll‘s new record:
[…] the finest true-blue country ballad in Carll’s catalog to date. With mournful steel guitar backing him up, his antihero pines for a woman so close and yet so out of reach; the hurt is that much worse because he’s sabotaged himself. George Strait Carll is not, but the way his frayed drawl catches on the notes really drives home the heartbreak.
New releases for the week of February 22, 2011 include:
Riley Puckett – Country Music Pioneer
- Music for the Bill Monroe biopic Blue Moon of Kentucky has already begun to be recorded. T Bone Burnett and Ronnie McCoury are at the helm, with McCoury’s dad and former Monroe protege, Del McCoury, set to sing the Monroe songs on the soundtrack. As for actors:
Actor Peter Sarsgaard is set to play Monroe. His wife, actress Maggie Gyllenhaal, has told reporters that she will play Bessie Lee Mauldin, Monroe’s lover who often toured with the Blue Grass Boys and played bass on stage and in recordings.
- The Bellamy Brothers are exploring legal action in regards to Britney Spears‘ latest single, “Hold It Against Me.”
- Here’s a cover of The Carter Family song “Dixie Darling” from Rachel Brooke. (via Facebook)
Recentconcertgoer on finding out Dwight Yoakam was playing nearby:
“I saw that and said, ‘we gotta watch Dwight Yoakam for sure,'” Adams said. “Dwight Yoakam is a phenomenal guitar player — but he’s probably an even better actor. Oh my God. He is THE guy in ‘Panic Room.’ ”
What did he think of Yoakam’s Saturday night performance?
“I was kinda hoping he’d have more sequins,” Adams said of the country — and Hollywood — legend’s simple red shirt. “But his backup singers are making up for it.”
- Most of the lineup for the six-week Bluegrass at the Ryman Mondays series has been unveiled.
- Hayes Carll on becoming a songwriter in the new issue of Texas Monthly:
The first song I ever wrote was inspired by Pat Frank’s science fiction novel Alas, Babylon. It was a school project, probably seventh or eighth grade, and I wrote a song to the tune of Hank Williams Jr.’s “A Country Boy Can Survive” about a postapocalyptic world. It was terrible.
Here’s video of a five-year old girl performing the Caitlin Rose song “Own Side.” (via Nashville Scene)
- Tom: ...it is almost the year 2015 - ain't it about time we leave people (celebrities included) having the personal relations …
- Paul W Dennis: I had assumed that Herndon was gay after the incident that Lucky Old Sun referenced, but bought the next Herndon …
- Jonathan Pappalardo: For anyone who wants to buy it, the Rosanne Cash 45 is available again. With 1000 copies being created, I …
- luckyoldsun: It seemed that the old morals arrest incident really did Herndon in. He was a pretty big country star before …
- CraigR.: Hopefully in the future being gay or straight won't matter at all. And then people won't have to hide their …
- Bruce: Jim has a remarkable voice for his age. Heck, for any age.
- bob: Good luck to Herndon and Gilman. I've seen Herndon in concert. While I liked his 90's material better, he's still …
- Leeann Ward: It was Brad Paisley and its on his Christmas album.
- luckyoldsun: I seem to recall hearing a recording of the Christmas song "Walking in the Winter Wonderland" where the line "In …
- Leeann Ward: For a slow new Christmas music year, the announcement of the Jamey Johnson Christmas EP and the Christmas tracks by …