Blaine Larsen Joins New Treehouse Records; George Strait To Open Cedar Park Center
- Blaine Larsen is the first artist signed to new label Treehouse Records.
- David Brown profiled Hayes Carll for Texas Music Matters and introduced the acclaimed songwriter before a performance at Austin City Limits’ ‘Studio 6B,’ which is available for download.
- Head over to Country California for another chance to score a free copy of The Devil Makes Three‘s new album Do Right Wrong. C.M. Wilcox described the album as:
A vintage mixture of string band, ragtime, folk and blues shot through with a youthful vitality, this could be the soundtrack to your next tipsy night on the town. Fans of Justin Townes Earle and Old Crow Medicine Show are particularly advised to pick this one up posthaste.
While you’re signing up for free music, don’t miss the opportunity to toss your hat in the ring for Ray Charles‘ Modern Sounds In Country and Western Music: Volumes 1 & 2.
- Lucas Hudgins (MySpace) sent along an email letting us know he returns to the Broken Spoke tomorrow night, so get out an support him if you’re in the Austin area.
- Could tomorrow’s settlement hearing for Jared Ashley‘s lawsuit against John Rich provide a resolution to the pair’s conflict?
- Farce the Music introduced new contributor and songwriter Bobby Joe Beckley, whose first post includes lyrics to “Summer Bites,” a parody of Rascal Flatts‘ “Summer Nights.”
New releases for the week of June 16, 2009 include:
Keith Urban – Love, Pain & the Whole Crazy World Tour: Live (DVD)
- The new Cedar Park Center aims to provide entertainment to the Austin area and on September 25 they’ll bring in George Strait to headline the opening event. Tickets go on sale Saturday at 10:00 a.m.
- Echomusic left 100-200 artists out to dry recently when the company, owned by Ticketmaster Entertainment, was closed down and effectively put an end to all of their clients’ websites.
- Country California’s C.M. Wilcox on Aaron Watson‘ recent Sacramento concert:
Perhaps it was the live energy. Perhaps it was the fact that Watson’s set was essentially a Best Of, culling most of the best songs from his albums while leaving behind some of the less interesting cuts. But the Aaron Watson that appeared at Rockin’ Rodeo was one that I haven’t heard on record yet. Not even the Live at the Texas Hall of Fame recording put out a few years back captures the live show. This is clearly a guy who has honed his chops on the road and feels more at home onstage than just about anywhere else.
- Now that Alison Krauss is off working with Robert Plant, Steve Morse hopes that fans of bluegrass will lend a closer ear to Rhonda Vincent. Her new album, Destination Life, is out today and is the first one she’s recorded with her touring band.
- Austin Music Source’s Joe Gross on the new Sarah Jarosz album:
Nobody should be all that surprised if we’re listening to the next Alison Krauss. Or maybe Prince.
- A recent CMA survey determined that only 50 percent of core country fans have internet access at home, which is proving to be a marketing challenge to the country music industry.
- People has an exclusive first-look at Holly Williams‘ new video for “Alone,” which is at least the third video from her new album. Sticking with the Holly Williams theme, CMT has video from her Unplugged at Studio 330 session and Michael Bialas published a two part interview with Williams on the No Depression website.
- Dave W.: Just read the news here. Will miss E145 very much - love this site. All the best to you Juli …
- Leeann Ward: Oh, dang! This is real. Farewell to the most generous, informative, quality, intelligent, consistent, ethical country music blog! You …
- bll: Thanks Juli for all the great articles and information; you'll be missed by me and I suss several others. Best …
- Both Kinds of Music: I hope people appreciate the irony that one of the best "Americana" albums is titled Metamodern Sounds in COUNTRY Music.
- Barry Mazor: I would not rule out that possibility..There's a different set of voters involved..
- Dana M: Does anyone else think that Brandy Clark actually has a good chance of winning since this isn't a country awards …
- Juli Thanki: UPDATE: Brandy Clark got a Best New Artist nom. BEST AMERICANA ALBUM: Rosanne Cash -- The River & The Thread John Hiatt -- Terms …
- luckyoldsun: Glenn Campbell is great and I'd love to see him get an award, but the words of that song may …
- Casey Penn: Juli, it was an honor to write for you here on Engine145.com. You're good at what you do, and The …
- bob: Go Brandy FGL - Just go away.