Billy Yates Takes Male Vocalist Award at European CMAs
- The European CMA announced their award winners and according to his MySpace, singer/songwriter Billy Yates won Male Vocalist of the Year. Carrie Underwood took the top prize for female vocalist, Brooks & Dunn notched another duo award and George Strait scored an album of the year trophy.
- Folk singer U. Utah Phillips–who modeled his name after T. Texas Tyler and had songs recorded by Emmylou Harris, Kathy Mattea and Waylon Jennings–passed away last Friday from congestive heart failure at age 73. “Mr. Phillips sang about workers, historical events, the West and his great love, trains; for a while he lived in a railroad caboose.”
- More than 25 country stars are participating in the 18th annual City of Hope Celebrity Softball Challenge set for next Wednesday in Nashville. The teams are looking pretty evenly matched, but I’m gonna take team After MidNite With Blair Garner as my pick for the winners. (via GAC)
- As a businessman and touring artist, Randy Rogers is conscious of the rising gas prices, but doesn’t feel like it’s fair to raise ticket prices for fans since they’re paying more for gas, too. (via Galleywinter)
- Chris Grays says there’s so much genuine Gram/Emmylou chemistry on display on The Mother Truckers‘ Let’s All Go To Bed album “that listeners would be fools not to flag these Truckers down.
- Faith Hill plans to release a Christmas album this year.
- Looking to take advantages of all their assets, Sony BMG began selling art-quality reproductions of images from their archives that were acquired from Columbia Records. The images pull between $300 and $1,700 each. On Thursday they’re expected to announce a deal with Morrison Hotel Gallery, which specializes in rock imagery.
- Julianne Hough‘s self-titled album debuted at No. 1 on the country charts and was the third best selling album overall. The 9513 commenter Rick says he knew something was up when the CD was sold out at his local Best Buy.
- Kimberley Williams-Paisley wrote a children’s book with her father titled Henry and the Hidden Veggie Garden. The book even includes aspects of her and Brad’s own life from their Tennessee ranch woven into the story.
- Steve Matteo says it’s hard to categorize the music Emmylou Harris is making on her new album, All I Intended To Be, but ultimately he says it doesn’t matter.
The country base is still there (the album was primarily recorded in Nashville), but there’s a richness and fullness of sound to the music, without being overly produced, that makes it so riveting. In the end, though, her voice remains the heart of her music. The aching compassion with which she sings reveals a voice as real as any in music today.
- NBC has video previewing the upcoming Nashville Star and some of the auditioners who didn’t quite make the cut. John Rich and Jewel butt heads over one performance, but make up enough for a little dancing.
- A press release from Mercury Records claims that Jennifer Nettles is the first female artist to have ever solo-written an ACM “Song of the Year,” and only the fourth artist to do it overall, period.
Sugarland is also notching the highest country chart debut of their career at #27 with current single “All I Want To Do”, which they performed on the awards. Their previous best was #36 with “Want To.”
The duo’s upcoming third album, Love On The Inside, will debut July 22.
- A song Bill Anderson wrote in the early ’60s, We Missed You,” which was first recorded by Kitty Wells and recently recorded by Doyle Lawson & Quicksilver has become part of a Sears advertising campaign.
- Dave W.: Just read the news here. Will miss E145 very much - love this site. All the best to you Juli …
- Leeann Ward: Oh, dang! This is real. Farewell to the most generous, informative, quality, intelligent, consistent, ethical country music blog! You …
- bll: Thanks Juli for all the great articles and information; you'll be missed by me and I suss several others. Best …
- Both Kinds of Music: I hope people appreciate the irony that one of the best "Americana" albums is titled Metamodern Sounds in COUNTRY Music.
- Barry Mazor: I would not rule out that possibility..There's a different set of voters involved..
- Dana M: Does anyone else think that Brandy Clark actually has a good chance of winning since this isn't a country awards …
- Juli Thanki: UPDATE: Brandy Clark got a Best New Artist nom. BEST AMERICANA ALBUM: Rosanne Cash -- The River & The Thread John Hiatt -- Terms …
- luckyoldsun: Glenn Campbell is great and I'd love to see him get an award, but the words of that song may …
- Casey Penn: Juli, it was an honor to write for you here on Engine145.com. You're good at what you do, and The …
- bob: Go Brandy FGL - Just go away.