Billy Mize & The Bakersfield Sound Documentary in the Works; Dailey & Vincent Announce Summer Tour Dates; Album Releases
- Stream Jason Isbell’s new album, Southeastern, at MTV Hive.
- Britt Gully used Jimmie Rodgers’ guitar to record a tribute album. It’s the first time the guitar has been used to record in 80 years. Gully will also play the guitar at The Mississippi Picnic in New York this August.
- Lenny Kravitz is going to perform with Jason Aldean and Nelly with Florida Georgia Line at tomorrow’s CMT Awards. At least The Mavericks will be the house band.
- Edward Morris of CMT.com reports on Karen Raizor’s “That Ain’t No Hank Williams Song: Country Songs About How Country Doesn’t Sound Country Anymore,” a paper she presented at the International Country Music Conference.
- Here’s a neat article Jennifer Self wrote for The Bakersfield Californian about filmmaker Joe Saunders and Billy Mize and the Bakersfield Sound, the documentary he’s preparing for release. The film is about Mize’s (Saunders’ grandfather) “unthinkable personal tragedy amidst a country music revolution that changed the world.” The documentary may include a clip of what is believed to be Merle Haggard’s first televised appearance. You can watch the film trailer here.
- Taylor Swift joined The Rolling Stones onstage at one of the band’s Chicago shows. (h/t Jeremy Dylan)
- Rodney Atkins is hosting the annual Music City Gives Back benefit concert tonight in Nashville. The show will accept donations and raise funds for Oklahoma tornado relief.
- Marshall Chapman is the American Songwriter Writer of the Week.
- Mike Reid and Allen Shamblin’s “I Can’t Make You Love Me,” made famous by Bonnie Raitt, is the American Songwriter Song of the Week.
- Stream Betse Ellis’ new album, High Moon Order, on No Depression.
- Will Hodge interviewed Lori McKenna for CMT Edge.
- Matt Bonham wrote a lengthy feature on Tift Merritt for American Songwriter.
- Jed Portman of Garden & Gun interviewed Bill Miller, founder of the new Johnny Cash Museum in Nashville.
- Hunter Hayes will kick off his headlining tour October 10. Ashley Monroe is slated to open most dates.
- Dailey & Vincent announced summer tour dates.
- France has awarded Bob Dylan the country’s highest distinction: the Legion of Honor. (warning: autoplay)
- Liz Rose has signed with Warner/Chappell.
- The Blind Boys of Alabama are working on a new album that’s scheduled for an October 1 release.
- LeAnn Rimes talks about her new record in a video interview for The 615. Tonight, Rimes hosts Hollywood Goes Country on E!
- CMT Edge premiered Donna the Buffalo’s new music video.
- Jake Owen hopes to have a single out in July and his next album released in December.
- Charlie Jane Anders of io9.com deems the new sci-fi/bluegrass film The History of Future Folk “delightful.”
- Jedd Beaudoin of PopMatters wrote a feature on singer-songwriter Slim Dunlap, the Replacements guitarist whose songs have been covered by Steve Earle, Lucinda Williams, and John Doe, among others.
- This week’s album releases:
LeAnn Rimes – Spitfire
The Warren Hood Band – The Warren Hood Band
Pokey LaFarge – Pokey LaFarge
Lonestar – Life as We Know It
Josh Halverson – One Shot
The Roys – Gypsy Runaway Train
Joy Kills Sorrow – Wide Awake
Zane Williams – Overnight Success
Various Artists – The Beautiful Old: Turn-of-the-Century Songs
Various Artists – Ghost Brothers of Darkland County
- A DVD:
- And a book:
Michael Streissguth – Outlaw
- Dave W.: Just read the news here. Will miss E145 very much - love this site. All the best to you Juli …
- Leeann Ward: Oh, dang! This is real. Farewell to the most generous, informative, quality, intelligent, consistent, ethical country music blog! You …
- bll: Thanks Juli for all the great articles and information; you'll be missed by me and I suss several others. Best …
- Both Kinds of Music: I hope people appreciate the irony that one of the best "Americana" albums is titled Metamodern Sounds in COUNTRY Music.
- Barry Mazor: I would not rule out that possibility..There's a different set of voters involved..
- Dana M: Does anyone else think that Brandy Clark actually has a good chance of winning since this isn't a country awards …
- Juli Thanki: UPDATE: Brandy Clark got a Best New Artist nom. BEST AMERICANA ALBUM: Rosanne Cash -- The River & The Thread John Hiatt -- Terms …
- luckyoldsun: Glenn Campbell is great and I'd love to see him get an award, but the words of that song may …
- Casey Penn: Juli, it was an honor to write for you here on Engine145.com. You're good at what you do, and The …
- bob: Go Brandy FGL - Just go away.