Billy Joe Shaver to Receive a Rusty; Jesse Dayton Records Dance Hall Record; Jamey Johnson’s Video
- The fourth Love & War Lifetime Achievement Award — nicknamed the ‘Rusty’ in honor of its first recipient, Texas music legend Rusty Wier — will be given to Billy Joe Shaver on Nov. 17.
- Actress Gwyneth Paltrow is scheduled to perform “Country Strong,” the title song from her upcoming movie, at next month’s CMA Awards.
- Country California Fake News: Kristian Bush Releases Astonishing New Album
“Oh my God, oh my God!” screamed respected WSM announcer Eddie Stubbs as he sprinted down 16th Avenue wearing nothing but his polyester dress socks.
Meanwhile, staffers at the Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum were seen carting decades-old relics to a nearby dumpster, clearing space for a steampunk-themed overhaul of the whole museum. “Kristian Bush has promised to donate some of his hats, so I don’t see what use we have for Mother Maybelle’s guitar anymore,” said museum curator Mick Buck, tossing aside a well-worn 1928 Gibson L-5.
- If sales for the current top 75 country albums were tallied up, it’d only come out to 470,368 units sold.
- Blake Shelton will participate in a “Twitterview” about the time this news is published. It’s just one of the events planned as part of the “Blakeover” surrounding his induction to the Grand Ole Opry this Saturday.
- Know what would be cooler than cool? A private house concert with Josh Grider and Drew Kennedy. It could happen.
- San Antonio Express-News‘ Jim Beal Jr. thinks more singers should be lazy like Elizabeth McQueen.
- Toby Keith talks politics with CNN. (via GAC)
- Jesse Dayton plans to release his next record, One For The Dance Halls, on Dec. 21:
We went into the studio with nothing more in mind than making a true Texas dance hall record. My records have always varied musically…some country…some cajun…some latin…some rockabilly rave ups…but after playing my residency show at the Broken Spoke (where I usually play every Thursday when I’m not traveling) I realized I needed to make a top to bottom country record with songs that would stand up on two-step floors anywhere, anytime, any place. [...] I’ve surrounded myself with great songwriters, great players, and we even have a new duet song on the record with my singing partner Brennen Leigh. Can’t wait for y’all to hear it!!!
- Trailer Choir filmed a couple of comedic vignettes for YouTube.
- The staff at CMT listed 10 prime Taylor Swift hits.
- Dailey & Vincent announced that their next record, due out early 2011, will be produced by Garth Fundis.
- Natalie Maines has a new pad in New York.
- The Boot’s Beville Darden interviewed Sugarland’s Kristian Bush:
This is arguably a rock record. Were you worried about country radio when making it, or was your mentality more that the rewards are going to far outweigh the risks?
[laughs] We’re not from Nashville, and we didn’t have any roots within the system there. So we didn’t fall into the habits that some [other artists] get into — and they’re good habits, they help you get a record deal. But Atlanta is really a neat place to start as a musician, because you have all these nearby places where you play these clubs — Athens, Birmingham, Charleston, Greenville — and they’re clubs that are full of all kinds of music. They’re clubs where R.E.M., Drivin N Cryin and the Indigo Girls play, and my old band would have regular gigs there, too.
- James Otto replaced his Chihuahua with a child.
- The International Bluegrass Music Association announced a new board that includes at least one familiar name around these parts: Jon Weisberger is the new Vice-Chair. Here’s a full list of the board.
Jamey Johnson‘s new video:
- luckyoldsun: I just noticed that Garth and King George are still to come. So unless I'm missing something else, the remaining seven …
- Leeann Ward: I hate it when people pronounce the days of the week with a "dy" ending instead of "day." It's like …
- luckyoldsun: Looking at that bizarre CMT Artists' list with Johnny Cash coming in at #8, it raises the question--Who are the …
- Leeann Ward: I'd have to agree with LOS here. The song was fair game to be released. It's no surprised that it …
- luckyoldsun: "'Brotherly Love,' IS a Keith Whitley song. Trying to take advantage of the impact sales, and the tragedy of Keith’s …
- Leeann Ward: Yes, we know that it's technically a Keith Whitley song, as Juli noted above.
- Six String Richie: It's great to hear that Sundy Best has a new album coming out. I really encourage anybody that reads …
- Louie: "Brotherly Love," IS a Keith Whitley song. Trying to take advantage of the impact sales, and the tragedy of Keith's …
- Erik North: A big loss for not only the Nashville songwriting community, but for songwriting communities everywhere, in my opinion, that Paul …
- luckyoldsun: If they're only allowed one modern inductee per year in the H-o-F, then there's a backlog developing. You have Skaggs, …