Billy Joe Shaver Recovering After Heart Surgery; Undercover Jewel; Kenny Chesney’s New Single
- Billy Joe Shaver is recovering from minor heart surgery and is expected to resume performing in August.
- Even with pancreatic cancer Charlie Louvin maintains his optimism and seems as vital as ever.
- Funny or Die, the comedy website co-founded by Will Ferrell, posted a new video featuring Jewel in disguise performing at a karaoke bar.
- In an interview with The Boot, Jerrod Niemann discloses that Jamey Johnson provided the encouragement he needed to make his current album.
Being friends with Jamey as long as I have, we both know not only the good times we’ve seen, but the hard times. I think after Jamey made his album with his band and Mercury Records picked it up, Jamey knew that I had things to say as an artist. I know I’m not the only person who he’s approached and advised to go make records. I don’t think the other ones have surfaced yet, but they will. Jamey is not only a guy that holds the torch for traditional country music, but he has his own voice and no one is going to tell him what to do. He is sort of a fearless leader in his own way of doing his own thing. I’m certainly not trying to be Jamey, and I know nobody else is. But what Jamey is going to do is put his hand down and pick you up and say, “Man, go make some music that you want to be heard,” and that’s what we did.
- Watch Toby Keith‘s new video for the song “Trailerhood.”
- Country California: The 10 Stupidest Things Said by John Rich (On the Record, So Far)
- If you haven’t done so yet, you still have a few days to enter our contests for an autographed copy of the new Jerrod Niemann album Judge Jerrod and the Hung Jury and the tribute album to Lynyrd Skynyrd, Sweet Home Alabama – The Country Music Tribute To Lynyrd Skynyrd, featuring rising talents like Jamey Johnson, Eric Church, Randy Houser, and Ashley Ray.
- Miss Leslie digs Mike Stinson‘s songwriting.
- Kenny Chesney sent his new single, “The Boys of Fall,” to radio this week. Listen on NashvilleGab.
- Kelly Dearmore on Blue-Eyed Angels, the upcoming record from Rob Baird:
Baird’s roots-rock vibe, filled with electric slide guitar, fiddle, harmonica and organ bring to mind some of the less gritty tunes from Kentucky bad-ass Chris Knight.
Now, I don’t get the impression that Baird could take Knight in a fight behind one of the bars he plays at, but as I roll through the rest of the CD, Baird is displaying a great ability to craft a catchy country-rock song. The production is a tad slick, and his voice isn’t half as distinctive or aching as Knight’s is, but again, I keep listening. I keep finding myself really digging this record.
- Katie Armiger wants your help choosing the title of her next album. The choices are: Confessions Of A Nice Girl, Guitar Picks & Lipstick, and High Heels & No Expectations.
- A cable company in Omaha, Nebraska bought Roy Rogers‘ horse Trigger for $266,500 at a recent auction.
- The A.V. Club’s Nathan Rabin got around to covering Waylon Jennings at last after 38 entries in his Nashville or Bust column.
- Canadian songwriter Fred Eaglesmith opened his latest Mountain Stage show with a couple of his songs that were recently covered by mainstream country stars. Alan Jackson tackled “Freight Train” for his newest project and Miranda Lambert covered “Time to Get a Gun” on hers. Listen to Eaglesmith’s versions on NPR.
- Applejack: It's not just you, Andrew L. I just listened to the clips on Amazon, and the autotune effect is terrible.
- Andrew L.: Is it just me or does Strait sound horribly autotuned on the clips for the new live album? I can't …
- Juli Thanki: You'll get to hear it pretty soon: The Wall Street Journal is going to stream the album on their website …
- Leeann Ward: Way to go to David Cantwell for getting a name drop! Great interview, Juli! Womack's new album is awesome! I've not always …
- Jonathan Pappalardo: Great interview as always, Juli! The new album is fantastic. "Same Kind of Different" is my favorite cut although "Fly" is …
- Dave D.: Good interview. Looking forward to the new record, and particularly interested in hearing her version of Brennen Leigh's "Sleeping with …
- nm: I guess it's not surprising that a singer who gets her songs all over the place, the way Womack does, …
- SunsetPark: As a Pennsylvanian to this day, thanks for the list. I haven't heard the Quecreek song and so can't …
- Paul W Dennis: I would urge readers to check out the Billy Edd Wheeler salute on October 18, 2014. Billy Edd Wheeler is …
- Leeann Ward: I'm really liking Pink's folk duo song! I'm looking forward to the album!