Billy Joe Shaver Acquitted; Willie Nelson’s Band Still Being Pursued; Jason Boland’s Band Knows the Feeling
Billy Joe Shaver was acquitted of aggravated assault charges on Friday in a trial that played out like a script from a would-be, hit television show. Austin American Statesman‘s Steven Kreytak has a recap of the trial and Waco Tribune-Herald staff writer Erin Quinn kept a live blog of the events. How does Shaver feel about the outcome? He just wants his bullet back. (via Rawhide & Velvet)
- North Carolina’s Duplin Country District Attorney still plans to prosecute six members of Willie Nelson‘s band on drug and alcohol charges stemming back to January.
- Jason Boland and his crew ran into their own legal trouble Friday morning (think Willie Nelson, not Billy Joe Shaver) when their bus was pulled over and several people were incarcerated. The band has a new album due April 20 titled High In the Rockies, but insists the incident was not a publicity stunt.
- Chet Flippo on the proliferation of countrier-than-thou songs at radio:
Junk songwriting and shallow lyrics and shorthand shopping lists of objects that supposedly should be desired by country fans have always existed in country songs, but I don’t think they’ve ever been as celebrated as they are now. Or as ubiquitous. Or as successful.
One reason is that there seem to be no — or very few — musically-knowledgeable people at radio because of radio consolidation and perhaps because the bosses don’t want anyone messing up the process with talk of quality or of good songs. I should not, but I have to laugh sometimes when I read in one of the radio newsletters a profile of a country radio station program director or music director in which he or she (usually he) talks about pivotal music that was career-defining and influential. And more often than not, it’s usually some artist like Poison or Meatloaf or Motorhead.
- Charles Kelley and Dave Haywood of Lady Antebellum fame changed a few lyrics and provided their own take on Easton Corbin‘s hit song “A Little More Country Than That” for a recent YouTube video.
- Country Haiku:
On some beach somewhere
I’m working up the nerve to
Say “son of a bitch”
- Taking a cue from Rawhide & Velvet’s Rita Ballou, Farce the Music introduced country music doppelgangers.
- Kellie Pickler grew up listening to more traditional country music like Merle Haggard, Hank Williams, and Patsy Cline and for her next release, she continues to claim that she’ll be revisiting her roots. (via CMT Blog)
- It’s a wonder Whitney Duncan can walk around with that box on her feet.
- Kenny Chesney lives life inside of a box and didn’t have room in that box for Renee Zellweger.
- Laura Bell Bundy, whose debut album releases tomorrow, feels like she can offer the country genre a “sense of old-school country entertainment.” Her new album, Achin’ & Shakin’, is split into halves. The New York Times‘ Jon Caramanica endorses the achin’ side:
The slowly sauntering “Cigarette” has echoes of Lee Ann Womack’s updated classic country revival, and “Please” is a demanding, desperate plea. She’s best, though, on “Curse the Bed,” which sounds as if sung after a couple of sleepless nights.
- Preview songs from the forthcoming Shel Silverstein tribute album, Twistable, Turnable Man.
- Dave D.: I never expected to see a shout out to the Cameron Family Singers today (or any day, for that matter). …
- nm: Duncan Cooper is not wrong.
- bob: Re Herndon, O'Neal & Griggs touring together, Herndon's "Lies I Told Myself Album" includes a duet with O'Neal, "I Can't". …
- luckyoldsun: Looks like CMT is pulling a "surprise" for its Artists' Choice countdown. They're coming up on #2 but there are …
- Jim Z: " Luke Bryan (Best Country Male Artist), Brantley Gilbert’s Just as I Am (Best Country Album), Carrie Underwood (Best Country …
- luckyoldsun: MH-- "...divisive, dismissive and argumentative." There's a shock. Who'da thunk it.
- MH: Looks like the IBMA is finding out what a lot of us already knew about former & frequent Engine 145 …
- Tom: ...it is almost the year 2015 - ain't it about time we leave people (celebrities included) having the personal relations …
- Paul W Dennis: I had assumed that Herndon was gay after the incident that Lucky Old Sun referenced, but bought the next Herndon …
- Jonathan Pappalardo: For anyone who wants to buy it, the Rosanne Cash 45 is available again. With 1000 copies being created, I …