Billy Joe Shaver Acquitted; Willie Nelson’s Band Still Being Pursued; Jason Boland’s Band Knows the Feeling
Billy Joe Shaver was acquitted of aggravated assault charges on Friday in a trial that played out like a script from a would-be, hit television show. Austin American Statesman‘s Steven Kreytak has a recap of the trial and Waco Tribune-Herald staff writer Erin Quinn kept a live blog of the events. How does Shaver feel about the outcome? He just wants his bullet back. (via Rawhide & Velvet)
- North Carolina’s Duplin Country District Attorney still plans to prosecute six members of Willie Nelson‘s band on drug and alcohol charges stemming back to January.
- Jason Boland and his crew ran into their own legal trouble Friday morning (think Willie Nelson, not Billy Joe Shaver) when their bus was pulled over and several people were incarcerated. The band has a new album due April 20 titled High In the Rockies, but insists the incident was not a publicity stunt.
- Chet Flippo on the proliferation of countrier-than-thou songs at radio:
Junk songwriting and shallow lyrics and shorthand shopping lists of objects that supposedly should be desired by country fans have always existed in country songs, but I don’t think they’ve ever been as celebrated as they are now. Or as ubiquitous. Or as successful.
One reason is that there seem to be no — or very few — musically-knowledgeable people at radio because of radio consolidation and perhaps because the bosses don’t want anyone messing up the process with talk of quality or of good songs. I should not, but I have to laugh sometimes when I read in one of the radio newsletters a profile of a country radio station program director or music director in which he or she (usually he) talks about pivotal music that was career-defining and influential. And more often than not, it’s usually some artist like Poison or Meatloaf or Motorhead.
- Charles Kelley and Dave Haywood of Lady Antebellum fame changed a few lyrics and provided their own take on Easton Corbin‘s hit song “A Little More Country Than That” for a recent YouTube video.
- Country Haiku:
On some beach somewhere
I’m working up the nerve to
Say “son of a bitch”
- Taking a cue from Rawhide & Velvet’s Rita Ballou, Farce the Music introduced country music doppelgangers.
- Kellie Pickler grew up listening to more traditional country music like Merle Haggard, Hank Williams, and Patsy Cline and for her next release, she continues to claim that she’ll be revisiting her roots. (via CMT Blog)
- It’s a wonder Whitney Duncan can walk around with that box on her feet.
- Kenny Chesney lives life inside of a box and didn’t have room in that box for Renee Zellweger.
- Laura Bell Bundy, whose debut album releases tomorrow, feels like she can offer the country genre a “sense of old-school country entertainment.” Her new album, Achin’ & Shakin’, is split into halves. The New York Times‘ Jon Caramanica endorses the achin’ side:
The slowly sauntering “Cigarette” has echoes of Lee Ann Womack’s updated classic country revival, and “Please” is a demanding, desperate plea. She’s best, though, on “Curse the Bed,” which sounds as if sung after a couple of sleepless nights.
- Preview songs from the forthcoming Shel Silverstein tribute album, Twistable, Turnable Man.
- Paige: Oh damn. :( I never commented here and I haven't been listening to any music at all since Thanksgiving (it …
- Dave W.: Just read the news here. Will miss E145 very much - love this site. All the best to you Juli …
- Leeann Ward: Oh, dang! This is real. Farewell to the most generous, informative, quality, intelligent, consistent, ethical country music blog! You …
- bll: Thanks Juli for all the great articles and information; you'll be missed by me and I suss several others. Best …
- Both Kinds of Music: I hope people appreciate the irony that one of the best "Americana" albums is titled Metamodern Sounds in COUNTRY Music.
- Barry Mazor: I would not rule out that possibility..There's a different set of voters involved..
- Dana M: Does anyone else think that Brandy Clark actually has a good chance of winning since this isn't a country awards …
- Juli Thanki: UPDATE: Brandy Clark got a Best New Artist nom. BEST AMERICANA ALBUM: Rosanne Cash -- The River & The Thread John Hiatt -- Terms …
- luckyoldsun: Glenn Campbell is great and I'd love to see him get an award, but the words of that song may …
- Casey Penn: Juli, it was an honor to write for you here on Engine145.com. You're good at what you do, and The …