Billy Grammer Passes; Pistol Annies Love True Crime TV; National Folk Festival Sneak Peek
- Opry member Billy Grammer passed away yesterday.
- The Civil Wars, Gillian Welch and David Rawlings, and Wye Oak make Paste‘s Top 20 current guy/gal musical pairings.
- Songwriting ace Darrell Scott’s new album Long Ride Home is coming out on October 11. Legendary session musician Hargus “Pig” Robbins appears on the album, as do Tim O’Brien, Patty Griffin, and others.
- American Songwriter chats with Dolly Parton.
- Also from American Songwriter, an interesting read about artists’ (Johnny Cash, Hank Williams, and Ray Charles are all mentioned) inner demons: Creativity – the muse – is a bit of a troublemaker. If she likes you, you’re in heaven. If she doesn’t, you’re in hell. Every songwriter who has ever faced a blank page knows all about her capricious personality, but never loses interest in her. Sometimes, though, we should be careful of what we wish for – we may get it. Dancing with the muse can be a dance with the devil.
- Chris Thile, Stuart Duncan, Edgar Meyer, and Yo-Yo Ma have teamed up to record The Goat Rodeo Sessions, to be released on October 18.
- Peter Cooper delivers a fascinating look at the late Bill Morrissey.
- Mike Stinson brings a woman to LA’s country/roots scene.
- WAMU Bluegrass Country is giving away a pair of tickets to the Bristol Rhythm and Roots Reunion (September 16-18). The lineup looks fantastic, with Marty Stuart, The SteelDrivers, Elizabeth Cook, and lots more scheduled to perform.
- Nine Bullets dubs Slackeye Slim’s El Sanro Grial: La Pistola Piadosa essential listening.
- The Pistol Annies love Snapped, a Lifetime program about women who murder their significant others.
- Luke Bryan broke his face and Tweeted about it. You social media folks can also nab an unreleased track from his new album Tailgates & Tanlines.
- Alan Jackson topped CMT’s list of the 20 greatest men of the past 20 years of country music. Check out the entire list.
- Watch the new video for Taylor Swift’s “Sparks Fly,” which uses footage from her live shows.
- The National Folk Festival is coming to Nashville over Labor Day weekend. Let Jim Lauderdale lead you through a sneak peek of the music in store.
- Ken Morton, Jr.: The inferiority complex of the CMA never ceases to amaze me.
- Barry Mazor: Thanks for explaining that to me, Luckyol.
- luckyoldsun: Barry, I think you're taking it a bit too seriously. CMT has to keep coming up with new lists to make. …
- Barry Mazor: Thi is a world in which the "top 40 most influential country artists of all time" do not include, for …
- luckyoldsun: I just noticed that Garth and King George are still to come. So unless I'm missing something else, the remaining seven …
- Leeann Ward: I hate it when people pronounce the days of the week with a "dy" ending instead of "day." It's like …
- luckyoldsun: Looking at that bizarre CMT Artists' list with Johnny Cash coming in at #8, it raises the question--Who are the …
- Leeann Ward: I'd have to agree with LOS here. The song was fair game to be released. It's no surprised that it …
- luckyoldsun: "'Brotherly Love,' IS a Keith Whitley song. Trying to take advantage of the impact sales, and the tragedy of Keith’s …
- Leeann Ward: Yes, we know that it's technically a Keith Whitley song, as Juli noted above.