Billy Grammer Passes; Pistol Annies Love True Crime TV; National Folk Festival Sneak Peek
- Opry member Billy Grammer passed away yesterday.
- The Civil Wars, Gillian Welch and David Rawlings, and Wye Oak make Paste‘s Top 20 current guy/gal musical pairings.
- Songwriting ace Darrell Scott’s new album Long Ride Home is coming out on October 11. Legendary session musician Hargus “Pig” Robbins appears on the album, as do Tim O’Brien, Patty Griffin, and others.
- American Songwriter chats with Dolly Parton.
- Also from American Songwriter, an interesting read about artists’ (Johnny Cash, Hank Williams, and Ray Charles are all mentioned) inner demons: Creativity – the muse – is a bit of a troublemaker. If she likes you, you’re in heaven. If she doesn’t, you’re in hell. Every songwriter who has ever faced a blank page knows all about her capricious personality, but never loses interest in her. Sometimes, though, we should be careful of what we wish for – we may get it. Dancing with the muse can be a dance with the devil.
- Chris Thile, Stuart Duncan, Edgar Meyer, and Yo-Yo Ma have teamed up to record The Goat Rodeo Sessions, to be released on October 18.
- Peter Cooper delivers a fascinating look at the late Bill Morrissey.
- Mike Stinson brings a woman to LA’s country/roots scene.
- WAMU Bluegrass Country is giving away a pair of tickets to the Bristol Rhythm and Roots Reunion (September 16-18). The lineup looks fantastic, with Marty Stuart, The SteelDrivers, Elizabeth Cook, and lots more scheduled to perform.
- Nine Bullets dubs Slackeye Slim’s El Sanro Grial: La Pistola Piadosa essential listening.
- The Pistol Annies love Snapped, a Lifetime program about women who murder their significant others.
- Luke Bryan broke his face and Tweeted about it. You social media folks can also nab an unreleased track from his new album Tailgates & Tanlines.
- Alan Jackson topped CMT’s list of the 20 greatest men of the past 20 years of country music. Check out the entire list.
- Watch the new video for Taylor Swift’s “Sparks Fly,” which uses footage from her live shows.
- The National Folk Festival is coming to Nashville over Labor Day weekend. Let Jim Lauderdale lead you through a sneak peek of the music in store.
- Leeann Ward: Interesting! I just got an email from Amozon saying that they cancelled my preorder of Jamey Johnson's Christmas album due …
- luckyoldsun: Jim Z-- I get the feeling Barry was this close to calling you what Kinky Friedman called his guy from El …
- Leeann Ward: Thanks, NM. I like a good pop hook, to be honest. So, maybe I need to try it again.
- Barry Mazor: OK, Jim Z. That changes everything. I surrender.
- Jim Z: to call the Dirty River Boys an "Austin area band" is still incorrect. They are based in El Paso.
- nm: Leeann, you and I often have similar tastes in more-traditional country. And, to my ears, Sam Hunt's voice and lyrics …
- Barry Mazor: Matter of fact, as always--I did. The notes say the album was recorded & mixed by and at "The …
- Roger: Looking forward to picking up the Jamey Johnson Christmas EP - love all of those songs and can't wait for …
- Jim Z: that record was recorded in El Paso. (you could look it up) and other than appearing in Austin once in …
- Leeann Ward: Yes, I can always use more dobro in my life! Thanks for the Phil Leadbetter tip! I haven't been able to …