Billy Grammer Passes; Pistol Annies Love True Crime TV; National Folk Festival Sneak Peek
- Opry member Billy Grammer passed away yesterday.
- The Civil Wars, Gillian Welch and David Rawlings, and Wye Oak make Paste‘s Top 20 current guy/gal musical pairings.
- Songwriting ace Darrell Scott’s new album Long Ride Home is coming out on October 11. Legendary session musician Hargus “Pig” Robbins appears on the album, as do Tim O’Brien, Patty Griffin, and others.
- American Songwriter chats with Dolly Parton.
- Also from American Songwriter, an interesting read about artists’ (Johnny Cash, Hank Williams, and Ray Charles are all mentioned) inner demons: Creativity – the muse – is a bit of a troublemaker. If she likes you, you’re in heaven. If she doesn’t, you’re in hell. Every songwriter who has ever faced a blank page knows all about her capricious personality, but never loses interest in her. Sometimes, though, we should be careful of what we wish for – we may get it. Dancing with the muse can be a dance with the devil.
- Chris Thile, Stuart Duncan, Edgar Meyer, and Yo-Yo Ma have teamed up to record The Goat Rodeo Sessions, to be released on October 18.
- Peter Cooper delivers a fascinating look at the late Bill Morrissey.
- Mike Stinson brings a woman to LA’s country/roots scene.
- WAMU Bluegrass Country is giving away a pair of tickets to the Bristol Rhythm and Roots Reunion (September 16-18). The lineup looks fantastic, with Marty Stuart, The SteelDrivers, Elizabeth Cook, and lots more scheduled to perform.
- Nine Bullets dubs Slackeye Slim’s El Sanro Grial: La Pistola Piadosa essential listening.
- The Pistol Annies love Snapped, a Lifetime program about women who murder their significant others.
- Luke Bryan broke his face and Tweeted about it. You social media folks can also nab an unreleased track from his new album Tailgates & Tanlines.
- Alan Jackson topped CMT’s list of the 20 greatest men of the past 20 years of country music. Check out the entire list.
- Watch the new video for Taylor Swift’s “Sparks Fly,” which uses footage from her live shows.
- The National Folk Festival is coming to Nashville over Labor Day weekend. Let Jim Lauderdale lead you through a sneak peek of the music in store.
- Leeann: Great news about Ricky Skaggs and Sharon White's duet album! Absolutely appalling about the Keith Urban concert!! Both the rape and …
- bob: I found the Billboard article about country music radio needing an alcohol intervention interesting. Songwriter Adam Wright is quoted as …
- Matt: Definitely agree with C.M. about Maddie & Tae. Certainly not the tidal wave of change some claimed it is or …
- Dave D.: Good stuff, as always. My copy of Producing Country arrived yesterday, and it looks to be as good as …
- Scooter: I agree Holly Williams can do no wrong in my eyes. Such a good album and great to see live …
- Carrie Mclaughlin: Your my Hero Mr. Jim Lauderdale!!! Come to Alaska Please? hehehehe
- Jeremy Dylan: You should check it out Dave D. It's from the first (and strongest) season.
- Leeann: Wow! I love that Holly William's cover of "No Surrender"! She's gotten to be so good.
- luckyoldsun: I made it through a minute of that "Girl In a Country Song Video." Man, that sucks.
- lindsay thomas: Wife and I saw these guys last Thursday night, (7-24-14) at the Ryman in Nashville. What a show. …