Billy Currington Announces New Album; Favorite Elvis Songs; Blake Shelton Chooses Top Six Come On Lines
- The fourth album from Billy Currington, titled Enjoy Yourself, will be released Sept. 21.
- American Idol alum Casey James signed a deal with 19 Recordings/BNA Records.
- Country California Fake News: Legendary Artist Derides Current Generation of His Genre
“It used to be about heart and soul, and now it’s all about demographics and the bottom line. They give these kids record deals before they can even hardly wipe themselves and invent their personalities in committees,” said the Hall of Famer, who began his singing career at 12 years old, billed as “Cousin Harry” on the weekly, family-themed Abilene Hoedown radio show during the late 1930s.
- This week marks the 33rd anniversary of Elvis Presley‘s death and as a means of reflection, some of the staff at CMT got together and listed their favorite Elvis songs. What are some of your favorites?
- Continuing with the Elvis theme, the LimeWire Music Blog’s Chuck Dauphin took a look back at ten of his most important records on the country charts.
- Not only was “Lover, Lover” Jerrod Nieman‘s first No. 1 hit, it’s now his first RIAA-certified Gold Digital Single as well.
- Trace Adkins on the effect a changing music industry has had on artists’ careers:
I tell a lot of people this: Do you remember when Shania came out and she just did nothing but send singles to radio and sell records for about three or four years and nobody ever saw her [perform] live? You can’t do that anymore. Because you can’t earn any money selling records anymore, so it’s all about touring now. If you’re gonna make a living, you have to hit the road.
- Adkins isn’t keen on following his buddy Blake Shelton‘s lead to release music more frequently:
“Blake, he doesn’t have kids, he does whatever he wants to, and his fiancé is doing the same thing he does. And so they’re immersed in the music business. For me, I want to make an album and then not have to make another one for a while. I don’t have time to do that.”
- Elizabeth Cook recently joined World Cafe host David Dye to talk about playing the Grand Ole Opry and performed several songs.
- Watch the video for the title track of John Mellencamp‘s new album No Better Than This.
- On Sept. 8, Reader’s Digest will exclusively release the 3-disc box set The Legendary Larry Gatlin & the Gatlin Brothers. (via email)
- No Depression’s Grant Alden ponders Eilen Jewell‘s song selection on her Loretta Lynn tribute:
But I do wonder why Eilen Jewell chose so many angry songs, so many very strong words, when she doesn’t have a hint of that anger in her voice, nor in her public persona. (I’ve only seen her play once, to be fair.) And I wonder how the songs play now, to those who didn’t hear the originals on the radio.
- The LimeWire Music Blog posted a Q&A with Zoe Muth along with a free mp3 of “The Running Kind.”
For this week’s Take Six Tuesday, Blake Shelton chose his top six favorite come on lines, the topic of which came from a recent contest here on The 9513.
- If you enjoyed today’s news roundup, check out American Twang in a couple hours to read it all again.
- Dave W.: Just read the news here. Will miss E145 very much - love this site. All the best to you Juli …
- Leeann Ward: Oh, dang! This is real. Farewell to the most generous, informative, quality, intelligent, consistent, ethical country music blog! You …
- bll: Thanks Juli for all the great articles and information; you'll be missed by me and I suss several others. Best …
- Both Kinds of Music: I hope people appreciate the irony that one of the best "Americana" albums is titled Metamodern Sounds in COUNTRY Music.
- Barry Mazor: I would not rule out that possibility..There's a different set of voters involved..
- Dana M: Does anyone else think that Brandy Clark actually has a good chance of winning since this isn't a country awards …
- Juli Thanki: UPDATE: Brandy Clark got a Best New Artist nom. BEST AMERICANA ALBUM: Rosanne Cash -- The River & The Thread John Hiatt -- Terms …
- luckyoldsun: Glenn Campbell is great and I'd love to see him get an award, but the words of that song may …
- Casey Penn: Juli, it was an honor to write for you here on Engine145.com. You're good at what you do, and The …
- bob: Go Brandy FGL - Just go away.