Billboard Ranks Top 25 Country Artists; New Releases; Marty Stuart Honors Jimmie Rodgers
- Using data from radio airplay and album sales, Billboard ranked the top 25 country artists of the past 25 years.
New releases for the week of June 8, 2010 include:
- Marty Stuart was on hand to help unveil the first marker on the Mississippi Country Music Trail last Tuesday (June 1) and to pay tribute to the marker’s honoree, Jimmie Rodgers. The next marker will honor Stuart.
- Singer-songwriter Drew Kennedy is sending out postcards from the road to anyone who wants one. He’s also emailing fans a couple of bonus songs (“Goodbye” and “Baytown”) that were recorded during the making of his live album. All you have to do to get both (songs and postcard, that is) is leave a tip in his digital tip jar, any amount you choose. While you’re visiting his site, check out the behind-the-scenes footage from his upcoming video for “Room #27.”
- Songwriter and producer Buddy Cannon underwent surgery last Tuesday to clear a blocked artery, and was back home on Wednesday recovering.
- Listen to the new Randy Rogers Band single “Too Late For Goodbye.”
- Legendary honky tonk Tootsie’s Orchid Lounge turns 50 this year and to celebrate, Kris Kristofferson, Terri Clark, and other yet to be announced performers will play at the Ryman on Nov. 7.
- The recent Brooks & Dunn tribute brought in $1 million for the ACM charity Lifting Lives.
- Asleep at the Wheel‘s followup to last year’s excellent Willie and the Wheel album is due out on July 20. The album, titled It’s A Good Day, features Texas Playboys vocalist Leon Rausch, one of the band’s primary influences right behind Bob Wills.
- Country California: Quotable Country – 06/07/10 Edition
- The Earles, McCourys, Shavers and more on Mountain Stage. Oh, my!
- Dierks Bentley interviews: Los Angeles Times | The Boston Globe | Associated Press
- More Dierks Bentley: Performance of “Fiddlin’ Around” on FoxBusiness | Streams of “Draw Me A Map,” “Faillin’ For You,” and “Bad Angel” on EW.com’s Music Mix
- Ninebullets.net digs the new live album from Wade Bowen.
- Bucky Covington on American Idol: (via Country California)
That show takes a bunch of armatures and puts them on the biggest TV show in America, and that can work one of two ways for you. I’ve seen it make people look like complete idiots; well, actually it shows the world that these people are complete idiots. And then there’s some people where you’re like ‘where have these people been hiding?’
- Toby Keith‘s seventh annual Toby Keith & Friends Golf Classic raised nearly $600,000 for children battling cancer.
- Elizabeth Cook on ‘World Cafe: Next’
- The latest edition of American Songwriter‘s Sessions features an interview with Cadillac Sky, a video of the band performing “Hangman,” and mp3’s for “Human Cannonball,” “Hypocrite,” and “Trapped Under The Ice,” all of which appear on the band’s new album Letters In The Deep.
- The 9513’s Karlie Justus has a new gig reporting to FOX 103 WFXD on the latest news in country music. Check out her first episode on The Music Row Insider.
Music Fog: Joe Ely – “Live Forever”
- Update: The new Jamey Johnson single “Macon” is available for download on iTunes.
- bruce: Jim Ed Brown can still sing, and better than some modern-day tune throwers. CraigR - Can't disagree with any of your …
- Paul W Dennis: They are an interesting group. This song sounds more jazzy (Andrews Sisters, Puppini Sisiter, Ingrid Lucia) but for a folkier …
- Barry Mazor: What the "Americana" term brings to mind, by this point, is a matter of time and marketing. Like all …
- Paul W Dennis: I loved the Jerry Douglas interview and love the ideas behind his two concept albums Unfortunately I never had the opportunity …
- luckyoldsun: Barry, That's a good point, as far as country itself being a word that refers to a lot more than a …
- Six String Richie: Also, in regards to that article, Aldean's #2 complaint was "Nashville Copycats" and he gripes that people are copping Luke …
- Six String Richie: Billboard misprinted his new single as "Burnin' It Up" in that article! That goes to show how little even …
- CraigR.: Here are 5 things that piss me off about Jason Aldean: 1. He is a sore winner. Why complain when you …
- Barry Mazor: The words "country" and jazz (or "jass") and blues had been around for decades before they became genres (or formats) …
- Jeff Miller: Yeah, the first time I played Jimmie Rodgers for my wife & daughter- they were aghast that he was singing …