Billboard Music Award Winners Announced; Sierra Hull Tour Hits Micronesia, Guam; New Music Videos
- Carrie Underwood and Miranda Lambert unveiled their new duet, “Somethin’ Bad,” at the Billboard Music Awards last night. Underwood also took home the Milestone Award.
- Other Billboard Award winners: Alan Jackson (Top Christian Album for Precious Memories, Vol. 2), Luke Bryan (Top Country Artist and Top Country Album for Crash My Party), and Florida Georgia Line with Nelly (Top Country Song for “Cruise”).
- Lambert came in at No. 31 on CMT’s All-Time Top 40 list of influential artists.
- NPR aired a piece that included guests Colin Escott and Jett Williams discussing the recently released lost Hank Williams recordings, The Garden Spot programs. (Check back here later this week for our review.)
- Dolly Parton’s West Hollywood home is up for sale. There’s a fridge in one of the bedrooms, which is genius, and a toilet in the bedroom as well, which is the “Drinkenstein” of interior decorating.
- Detour is offering a free download of their current single, “Too Blue to Have the Blues,” for a limited time.
- James Reed of The Boston Globe profiled Nikki Lane.
- Jason Isbell will join former Drive-By Truckers bandmates Mike Cooley and Patterson Hood to play a benefit concert for their friend Terry Pace, who’s recuperating from two debilitating strokes, on June 15 in Alabama.
- The MusiCorps Wounded Warrior Band will make its Opry debut during tomorrow’s salute to the troops at the Opry House.
- Marissa R. Moss of American Songwriter profiled folksinger Linda Perhacs, who has released her second album more than 40 years after her debut.
- Sierra Hull and her mandolin have conquered Micronesia and Guam as part of a two-week world tour. Next stop: Yunkai Jerusalem.
- C.M. Wilcox compiled a new edition of Quotable Country.
- Nickel Creek visited the CMT studios to play a few songs (warning: autoplay). Also, Jewly Hight wrote a feature on the band for American Songwriter.
- Stream Lee Bains III & The Glory Fires’ new record, Dereconstructed.
- Brad Paisley will serve on a “panel of experts” on reality singing competition Rising Star, which will premiere June 22 on ABC.
- Here are a few song premieres for you: one from Amy LaVere, one from Mike Cooper (from one of three album reissues coming in June), and another from John Murry.
- Jeff Tweedy’s got a new album in the works. He’s also embarking on a solo tour this summer.
- Get the story behind “My Heroes Have Always Been Cowboys.”
- The track listing for Big Machine’s forthcoming Motley Crue tribute record (out July 8) does not look particularly promising, with the possible exception of The Mavericks taking on “Dr. Feelgood.”
- Recent videos:
The Band Perry – “Chainsaw”
Scott H. Biram – “Never Comin’ Home”
Dierks Bentley – “Drunk on a Plane”
Lera Lynn – “Lying in the Sun”
Christopher Denny – “Flowers”
Imelda May – “It’s Good to be Alive”
Craig Campbell – “Keep Them Kisses Comin’”
Martina McBride – “Come See About Me”
- Paige: Oh damn. :( I never commented here and I haven't been listening to any music at all since Thanksgiving (it …
- Dave W.: Just read the news here. Will miss E145 very much - love this site. All the best to you Juli …
- Leeann Ward: Oh, dang! This is real. Farewell to the most generous, informative, quality, intelligent, consistent, ethical country music blog! You …
- bll: Thanks Juli for all the great articles and information; you'll be missed by me and I suss several others. Best …
- Both Kinds of Music: I hope people appreciate the irony that one of the best "Americana" albums is titled Metamodern Sounds in COUNTRY Music.
- Barry Mazor: I would not rule out that possibility..There's a different set of voters involved..
- Dana M: Does anyone else think that Brandy Clark actually has a good chance of winning since this isn't a country awards …
- Juli Thanki: UPDATE: Brandy Clark got a Best New Artist nom. BEST AMERICANA ALBUM: Rosanne Cash -- The River & The Thread John Hiatt -- Terms …
- luckyoldsun: Glenn Campbell is great and I'd love to see him get an award, but the words of that song may …
- Casey Penn: Juli, it was an honor to write for you here on Engine145.com. You're good at what you do, and The …