Billboard Music Award Winners Announced; Sierra Hull Tour Hits Micronesia, Guam; New Music Videos
- Carrie Underwood and Miranda Lambert unveiled their new duet, “Somethin’ Bad,” at the Billboard Music Awards last night. Underwood also took home the Milestone Award.
- Other Billboard Award winners: Alan Jackson (Top Christian Album for Precious Memories, Vol. 2), Luke Bryan (Top Country Artist and Top Country Album for Crash My Party), and Florida Georgia Line with Nelly (Top Country Song for “Cruise”).
- Lambert came in at No. 31 on CMT’s All-Time Top 40 list of influential artists.
- NPR aired a piece that included guests Colin Escott and Jett Williams discussing the recently released lost Hank Williams recordings, The Garden Spot programs. (Check back here later this week for our review.)
- Dolly Parton’s West Hollywood home is up for sale. There’s a fridge in one of the bedrooms, which is genius, and a toilet in the bedroom as well, which is the “Drinkenstein” of interior decorating.
- Detour is offering a free download of their current single, “Too Blue to Have the Blues,” for a limited time.
- James Reed of The Boston Globe profiled Nikki Lane.
- Jason Isbell will join former Drive-By Truckers bandmates Mike Cooley and Patterson Hood to play a benefit concert for their friend Terry Pace, who’s recuperating from two debilitating strokes, on June 15 in Alabama.
- The MusiCorps Wounded Warrior Band will make its Opry debut during tomorrow’s salute to the troops at the Opry House.
- Marissa R. Moss of American Songwriter profiled folksinger Linda Perhacs, who has released her second album more than 40 years after her debut.
- Sierra Hull and her mandolin have conquered Micronesia and Guam as part of a two-week world tour. Next stop: Yunkai Jerusalem.
- C.M. Wilcox compiled a new edition of Quotable Country.
- Nickel Creek visited the CMT studios to play a few songs (warning: autoplay). Also, Jewly Hight wrote a feature on the band for American Songwriter.
- Stream Lee Bains III & The Glory Fires’ new record, Dereconstructed.
- Brad Paisley will serve on a “panel of experts” on reality singing competition Rising Star, which will premiere June 22 on ABC.
- Here are a few song premieres for you: one from Amy LaVere, one from Mike Cooper (from one of three album reissues coming in June), and another from John Murry.
- Jeff Tweedy’s got a new album in the works. He’s also embarking on a solo tour this summer.
- Get the story behind “My Heroes Have Always Been Cowboys.”
- The track listing for Big Machine’s forthcoming Motley Crue tribute record (out July 8) does not look particularly promising, with the possible exception of The Mavericks taking on “Dr. Feelgood.”
- Recent videos:
The Band Perry – “Chainsaw”
Scott H. Biram – “Never Comin’ Home”
Dierks Bentley – “Drunk on a Plane”
Lera Lynn – “Lying in the Sun”
Christopher Denny – “Flowers”
Imelda May – “It’s Good to be Alive”
Craig Campbell – “Keep Them Kisses Comin’”
Martina McBride – “Come See About Me”
- Cheryl: Hokies football!
- Chad: My favorite part of autumn is chilly nights.
- luckyoldsun: Plowboy Records put out a great release from Bobby Bare last year--"Darker Than Light." It was as good as Johnny …
- bruce: Jim Ed Brown can still sing, and better than some modern-day tune throwers. CraigR - Can't disagree with any of your …
- Paul W Dennis: They are an interesting group. This song sounds more jazzy (Andrews Sisters, Puppini Sisiter, Ingrid Lucia) but for a folkier …
- Barry Mazor: What the "Americana" term brings to mind, by this point, is a matter of time and marketing. Like all …
- Paul W Dennis: I loved the Jerry Douglas interview and love the ideas behind his two concept albums Unfortunately I never had the opportunity …
- luckyoldsun: Barry, That's a good point, as far as country itself being a word that refers to a lot more than a …
- Six String Richie: Also, in regards to that article, Aldean's #2 complaint was "Nashville Copycats" and he gripes that people are copping Luke …
- Six String Richie: Billboard misprinted his new single as "Burnin' It Up" in that article! That goes to show how little even …