Billboard Music Award Winners Announced; Sierra Hull Tour Hits Micronesia, Guam; New Music Videos
- Carrie Underwood and Miranda Lambert unveiled their new duet, “Somethin’ Bad,” at the Billboard Music Awards last night. Underwood also took home the Milestone Award.
- Other Billboard Award winners: Alan Jackson (Top Christian Album for Precious Memories, Vol. 2), Luke Bryan (Top Country Artist and Top Country Album for Crash My Party), and Florida Georgia Line with Nelly (Top Country Song for “Cruise”).
- Lambert came in at No. 31 on CMT’s All-Time Top 40 list of influential artists.
- NPR aired a piece that included guests Colin Escott and Jett Williams discussing the recently released lost Hank Williams recordings, The Garden Spot programs. (Check back here later this week for our review.)
- Dolly Parton’s West Hollywood home is up for sale. There’s a fridge in one of the bedrooms, which is genius, and a toilet in the bedroom as well, which is the “Drinkenstein” of interior decorating.
- Detour is offering a free download of their current single, “Too Blue to Have the Blues,” for a limited time.
- James Reed of The Boston Globe profiled Nikki Lane.
- Jason Isbell will join former Drive-By Truckers bandmates Mike Cooley and Patterson Hood to play a benefit concert for their friend Terry Pace, who’s recuperating from two debilitating strokes, on June 15 in Alabama.
- The MusiCorps Wounded Warrior Band will make its Opry debut during tomorrow’s salute to the troops at the Opry House.
- Marissa R. Moss of American Songwriter profiled folksinger Linda Perhacs, who has released her second album more than 40 years after her debut.
- Sierra Hull and her mandolin have conquered Micronesia and Guam as part of a two-week world tour. Next stop: Yunkai Jerusalem.
- C.M. Wilcox compiled a new edition of Quotable Country.
- Nickel Creek visited the CMT studios to play a few songs (warning: autoplay). Also, Jewly Hight wrote a feature on the band for American Songwriter.
- Stream Lee Bains III & The Glory Fires’ new record, Dereconstructed.
- Brad Paisley will serve on a “panel of experts” on reality singing competition Rising Star, which will premiere June 22 on ABC.
- Here are a few song premieres for you: one from Amy LaVere, one from Mike Cooper (from one of three album reissues coming in June), and another from John Murry.
- Jeff Tweedy’s got a new album in the works. He’s also embarking on a solo tour this summer.
- Get the story behind “My Heroes Have Always Been Cowboys.”
- The track listing for Big Machine’s forthcoming Motley Crue tribute record (out July 8) does not look particularly promising, with the possible exception of The Mavericks taking on “Dr. Feelgood.”
- Recent videos:
The Band Perry – “Chainsaw”
Scott H. Biram – “Never Comin’ Home”
Dierks Bentley – “Drunk on a Plane”
Lera Lynn – “Lying in the Sun”
Christopher Denny – “Flowers”
Imelda May – “It’s Good to be Alive”
Craig Campbell – “Keep Them Kisses Comin’”
Martina McBride – “Come See About Me”
- luckyoldsun: MH-- "...divisive, dismissive and argumentative." There's a shock. Who'da thunk it.
- MH: Looks like the IBMA is finding out what a lot of us already knew about former & frequent Engine 145 …
- Tom: ...it is almost the year 2015 - ain't it about time we leave people (celebrities included) having the personal relations …
- Paul W Dennis: I had assumed that Herndon was gay after the incident that Lucky Old Sun referenced, but bought the next Herndon …
- Jonathan Pappalardo: For anyone who wants to buy it, the Rosanne Cash 45 is available again. With 1000 copies being created, I …
- luckyoldsun: It seemed that the old morals arrest incident really did Herndon in. He was a pretty big country star before …
- CraigR.: Hopefully in the future being gay or straight won't matter at all. And then people won't have to hide their …
- Bruce: Jim has a remarkable voice for his age. Heck, for any age.
- bob: Good luck to Herndon and Gilman. I've seen Herndon in concert. While I liked his 90's material better, he's still …
- Leeann Ward: It was Brad Paisley and its on his Christmas album.