Bill Anderson Recording New Album; Randy Kohrs Recovers Stolen Equipment
- Bill Anderson plans to have a new album released before the end of the year.
- Craig Bickhardt wonders where the real people are in today’s country songs:
The rule of thumb in Nashville is: make her crude, make him dirty, put them in a truck (with a six pack sometimes), and it’s a country song.
- Randy Kohrs and his band recovered their instruments after they had been stolen from the band’s van a couple of week ago.
- Jason Aldean on his increasing popularity:
“We’ve been out playing a lot of the festivals, headlining a lot of the festivals,” he said. “It’s going great. This year, I kind of got to see first hand what a difference one huge song will make for you. ‘She’s Country’ obviously changed a lot of things for us and pretty much, I think, doubled our crowd size in just a few months time.”
- Colt Ford on his success: “For whatever reason, America loves the funny, fat white dude…”
- Nashville at Nite returns in September with a new season and new host Carrie Smith.
- There are many things that George Strait is not, but then, there quite a few things that he is, as evidenced by his new album. Joey Guerra lists several of those things in The Houston Chronicle.
He is a master interpreter: Listen to the way Strait handles Arkansas Dave, a thoughtful rumination on a Wild West outlaw. No one comes close to that kind of delivery. And try and keep your eyes dry during The Breath You Take.
- Country California has one of those new albums to give away.
- Houston Press continued to list different facets of George Strait in their recent series: he has a Cajun streak, he likes to tell people what to do, he acted once, and he has some killer songs about Texas.
- Linda from Still Is Still Moving counted down the top ten reasons you should help her Willie doll win a trip to Farm Aid.
- Daily Country Haiku:
I traded my life
For some cocaine and a whore
Not such a bad deal
- Billy Pierson, a regular performer at Tootsie’s Orchid Lounge in Panama City, passed away at about 2 a.m. Friday in a single-vehicle traffic accident. (MySpace)
- Neff Conner posted several videos of Bobby Bare Jr. from his gig at the Longhorn Saloon in Fort Worth last week.
- In the current, singles-driven market songwriters are encouraged to explore new genres:
Up until recently, songwriter Claude Kelly — who has co-written songs with Akon, Brandy and Chrisette Michele — wouldn’t have dreamed that his publishing company would fly him to Nashville to help write songs for country artist Carrie Underwood’s upcoming album.
- Chris Neal’s latest batch of album reviews for Country Weekly include: Tanya Tucker‘s My Turn, Gloriana‘s self-titled debut, Steve Azar‘s Slide On Over Here, and Red Stick Ramblers‘ My Suitcase Is Always Packed.
- As part of Country Universe’s continued coverage of ’90s artists, Kevin J. Coyne listed essential songs from Lorrie Morgan.
- Decatur CD, an independent record store in Georgia, wrote an open letter on its blog to Sugarland about the exclusivity of the duo’s latest live CD/DVD release and how their deal with Walmart harms independent businesses. The letter concluded with an invitation for the duo to stop by the store and sell the release directly to Decatur CD, which–based on the comments–Kristian Bush presumably accepted.
- Taylor Swift recently pranked Keith Urban during his performance of “Kiss A Girl” when she appeared on stage in full KISS garb. Watch the video. (via Ask Jimmy Carter)
- Juli Thanki: For $2,000, I'd want to ride a unicorn in Central Park with Chely.
- luckyoldsun: Leann- I've biked a lot of laps around Central Park over the years. If I thought it would get me to …
- Leeann: No offense to Chely Wright, but while I expect that she will make a good album, asking for $175,000 seems …
- Juli Thanki: Ha! The best way to celebrate Connie Smith Day is by marrying a younger man. Mullet optional.
- nm: But was it Connie Smith Day all day long and then from dusk to dawn?
- Deremy Jylan: I heard that Jim Lauderdale documentary is some super-duper great movie stuff. Makes Scorsese's THE LAST WALTZ look like Wiseau's …
- Barry Mazor: I'll have to see if Dr. Green's ever read 3 Lives; it's a good book.
- Juli Thanki: Rose is a rose is a rose is a yellow rose of Texas. I smell a terrible concept album!
- Barry Mazor: Pigeons on the grass, alas.. Come-a kai-yai yippy, yippy ay.
- Ken Morton, Jr.: Barry, thanks for the great sentimental look at Winchester. I will admit that he is an artist that was largely …