Big Kenny Doing What He Can In Sudan
- Tanya Tucker, who just moved from Nashville to Malibu in July, may lose her home, wardrobe, and memorabilia to wildfires that have destroyed some 200,000 acres in the area. Tucker was in Las Vegas when her daughter and four pets had to evacuate the home.
- Carrie Underwood reveals that she doesn’t ever want to be pigeon-holed and that ’80s hair bands are among her influences. All that aside, check out the photo gallery in the sidebar showing her “style evolution.”
- The photographer of the infamous Willie Nelson flipping the bird picture is suing Spencer Gifts LLC for copyright infringement for selling black t-shirts with his picture on them.
- I’ve often heard the story about the night that Buck Owens died and how he had performed at the Crystal Palace, but Dwight Yoakam says that he had already decided to not perform that night.
He decided to go home and not perform that night, and the Buckaroos had done their first set and he was leaving. He was in the parking lot, about to walk to his car, and some folks saw him, and he waved and said, “Oh, hi.” And they said, “Oh, Buck, you’re going home?” He said, “Oh, I’m not feeling too well.” They said “Aw, we drove down from Oregon just to see you tonight. We got a day off and we came.” He stopped and said, “Well,” and he thought about it.
That night, Buck turned around in the parking lot in Bakersfield and walked back in and performed a set so that those folks from Oregon weren’t turned away.
- Big Kenny of Big & Rich has made it his personal mission to help improve conditions in Darfur. The duos website claims that after writing the No. 1 hit “Last Dollar” for Tim McGraw, Kenny donated money to the Kunyuk School for Girls. At the time, enrollment was at 250 and has since increased to 1,000. He also chartered a cargo plane, funded solely by himself, to carry 25 crates of supplies to the area. Country Standard Time posted a press release from his label about his time in Sudan thus far.
- People.com gives a shoutout to Still Is Still Moving in their article about Owen Wilson’s appearance at Willie Nelson’s Bad Boy Lawn Mower race.
- New releases today:
Carrie Underwood – Carnival Ride
Gary Allan – Living Hard
Dwight Yoakam – Dwight Sings Buck
Shooter Jennings – The Wolf
Ryan Adams – Follow the Lights
Rissi Palmer – Rissi Palmer
Let me know if I missed any.
- Lots of good stuff on the home page of Texas Music Times.
- Adjectives like nice, assembly-line and predictable are used to describe Carnival Ride in Glenn Gamboa’s review. Not exactly a ringing endorsement, but he has good things to say, too, and the album ends up earning a B.
- Country singer Jeannie Seely– credited for wearing the first mini-skirt on the Opry– celebrated her 40th anniversary as a member of the Grand Ole Opry. Seely was the third female country artists to earn a Grammy and has had her songs recorded by Country Music Hall of Fame members Faron Young, Willie Nelson, Ernest Tubb, Merle Haggard, Ray Price and Little Jimmy Dickens.
- Tom: ...good idea, a george jones museum in nashville. is there a building tall enough for a voice and a career …
- mrsandy: Also worth noting: Priscilla Mitchell was Jerry Reed's widow.
- Leeann Ward: Wow! My heart goes out to Allison Moorer. She's had so many terrible things happen in her life. It's too …
- Leeann Ward: I must have this audio book!
- Juli Thanki: Ha! Same thing happened at Sturgill Simpson's show I went to last month, only he was singing "I Never Go …
- Dave D.: On the topic of Lee Ann and dark songs, the funniest moment at this year's Americana Fest was during her …
- Jonathan Pappalardo: I love Lori McKenna. Coming from Massachusetts, she's our local girl. I've been fortunate to see her in concert a …
- bll: I suss her re-recording her hits for 'Gwendolen records' means she can stop MCA from releasing her hits against her.
- Greg Judy: Cooler festivals and marching bands at the football games!
- kevin ilinger: Fall colors bluegrass and apple cider