Big Kenny Doing What He Can In Sudan
- Tanya Tucker, who just moved from Nashville to Malibu in July, may lose her home, wardrobe, and memorabilia to wildfires that have destroyed some 200,000 acres in the area. Tucker was in Las Vegas when her daughter and four pets had to evacuate the home.
- Carrie Underwood reveals that she doesn’t ever want to be pigeon-holed and that ’80s hair bands are among her influences. All that aside, check out the photo gallery in the sidebar showing her “style evolution.”
- The photographer of the infamous Willie Nelson flipping the bird picture is suing Spencer Gifts LLC for copyright infringement for selling black t-shirts with his picture on them.
- I’ve often heard the story about the night that Buck Owens died and how he had performed at the Crystal Palace, but Dwight Yoakam says that he had already decided to not perform that night.
He decided to go home and not perform that night, and the Buckaroos had done their first set and he was leaving. He was in the parking lot, about to walk to his car, and some folks saw him, and he waved and said, “Oh, hi.” And they said, “Oh, Buck, you’re going home?” He said, “Oh, I’m not feeling too well.” They said “Aw, we drove down from Oregon just to see you tonight. We got a day off and we came.” He stopped and said, “Well,” and he thought about it.
That night, Buck turned around in the parking lot in Bakersfield and walked back in and performed a set so that those folks from Oregon weren’t turned away.
- Big Kenny of Big & Rich has made it his personal mission to help improve conditions in Darfur. The duos website claims that after writing the No. 1 hit “Last Dollar” for Tim McGraw, Kenny donated money to the Kunyuk School for Girls. At the time, enrollment was at 250 and has since increased to 1,000. He also chartered a cargo plane, funded solely by himself, to carry 25 crates of supplies to the area. Country Standard Time posted a press release from his label about his time in Sudan thus far.
- People.com gives a shoutout to Still Is Still Moving in their article about Owen Wilson’s appearance at Willie Nelson’s Bad Boy Lawn Mower race.
- New releases today:
Carrie Underwood – Carnival Ride
Gary Allan – Living Hard
Dwight Yoakam – Dwight Sings Buck
Shooter Jennings – The Wolf
Ryan Adams – Follow the Lights
Rissi Palmer – Rissi Palmer
Let me know if I missed any.
- Lots of good stuff on the home page of Texas Music Times.
- Adjectives like nice, assembly-line and predictable are used to describe Carnival Ride in Glenn Gamboa’s review. Not exactly a ringing endorsement, but he has good things to say, too, and the album ends up earning a B.
- Country singer Jeannie Seely– credited for wearing the first mini-skirt on the Opry– celebrated her 40th anniversary as a member of the Grand Ole Opry. Seely was the third female country artists to earn a Grammy and has had her songs recorded by Country Music Hall of Fame members Faron Young, Willie Nelson, Ernest Tubb, Merle Haggard, Ray Price and Little Jimmy Dickens.
- Paige: Oh damn. :( I never commented here and I haven't been listening to any music at all since Thanksgiving (it …
- Dave W.: Just read the news here. Will miss E145 very much - love this site. All the best to you Juli …
- Leeann Ward: Oh, dang! This is real. Farewell to the most generous, informative, quality, intelligent, consistent, ethical country music blog! You …
- bll: Thanks Juli for all the great articles and information; you'll be missed by me and I suss several others. Best …
- Both Kinds of Music: I hope people appreciate the irony that one of the best "Americana" albums is titled Metamodern Sounds in COUNTRY Music.
- Barry Mazor: I would not rule out that possibility..There's a different set of voters involved..
- Dana M: Does anyone else think that Brandy Clark actually has a good chance of winning since this isn't a country awards …
- Juli Thanki: UPDATE: Brandy Clark got a Best New Artist nom. BEST AMERICANA ALBUM: Rosanne Cash -- The River & The Thread John Hiatt -- Terms …
- luckyoldsun: Glenn Campbell is great and I'd love to see him get an award, but the words of that song may …
- Casey Penn: Juli, it was an honor to write for you here on Engine145.com. You're good at what you do, and The …