Bastard Sons of Johnny Cash Announce New Album
- The Bastards Sons of Johnny Cash plan to have a new album out sometime this year (fall or spring, depending on which part of the article you believe). Titled Bend In the Road, it will consist of 10 new originals along with covers of Billy Joe Shaver and Steve Earle.
New releases for the week of January 27, 2009 include:
Bob Wills & His Texas Playboys – The Tiffany Transcriptions [Box set]
Nothin’ Fancy – Lord Bless This House
Steve Martin – The Crow: New Songs For the Five-String Banjo
- Even after 41 number one songs Merle Haggard feels that in other people’s minds his accomplishments are second to his time in prison. In an interview with Karen Cotton for the Wyoming Tribune Eagle, he talks about that prison time and his accomplishments; the lack of songs like “Ring of Fire,” “The Gambler” and “Okie From Muskogee” in contemporary country; and “Carrie Underwear,” who he says he likes, but asks, “where’s the songs?” (via ggcolumn)
- Kellie Pickler has been named as one of the new celebrity spokespersons for the Sexy Hair product line.
- The Houston Chronicle‘s Joey Guerra on the new Pat Green album What I’m For:
Green’s 10 new tracks aren’t terribly syrupy, but there’s nary a moment here that seems worth more than a few casual listens.
The lone exception is In This World, a plaintive ballad that boasts lovely guitar and mandolin work. Green’s vocal is equally sweet but subtle, never veering into treacly territory. Even more telling — it’s the only song Green wrote by himself. He should have stuck it out solo for the rest of the album.
- Following a number of high-profile public appearances, Jamey Johnson’s beard announced that it will begin work on a solo debut in coming months.
- The HearYa indie music blog on Justin Townes Earle‘s new album:
With Midnight At The Movies, Justin Townes Earle tips the brim of his hat to his country, blues and roots predecessors and proves that American storytelling and the purity of song are still alive. This album makes country music inspired and relevant again.
- John Rich intends to keep his private life private.
- Despite rating an amazing eight on “The Checklist,” Eric Church‘s “Love Your Love the Most” scored a measly thirty-four cents on Farce The Music‘s value chart — which basically means it sucks.
- The Loveless Cafe in Nashville opened its new music venue last Friday and Chris Parton claims The SteelDrivers set a high mark for future acts.
- The song “Oh You Pretty Woman” from the forthcoming Willie and the Wheel album is available for streaming on Asleep at the Wheel‘s MySpace. Three more songs are scheduled to be released before the album’s February 3 release date, and if that won’t hold you over, the XM radio station Willie’s Place will be featuring a new song from the album every hour throughout the weekend with commentary from Willie Nelson and Ray Benson.
- Don’t forget, today is the last day for The 9513 First Annual Country Music Awards, so get your votes in before the end of the day.
- Dave W.: Just read the news here. Will miss E145 very much - love this site. All the best to you Juli …
- Leeann Ward: Oh, dang! This is real. Farewell to the most generous, informative, quality, intelligent, consistent, ethical country music blog! You …
- bll: Thanks Juli for all the great articles and information; you'll be missed by me and I suss several others. Best …
- Both Kinds of Music: I hope people appreciate the irony that one of the best "Americana" albums is titled Metamodern Sounds in COUNTRY Music.
- Barry Mazor: I would not rule out that possibility..There's a different set of voters involved..
- Dana M: Does anyone else think that Brandy Clark actually has a good chance of winning since this isn't a country awards …
- Juli Thanki: UPDATE: Brandy Clark got a Best New Artist nom. BEST AMERICANA ALBUM: Rosanne Cash -- The River & The Thread John Hiatt -- Terms …
- luckyoldsun: Glenn Campbell is great and I'd love to see him get an award, but the words of that song may …
- Casey Penn: Juli, it was an honor to write for you here on Engine145.com. You're good at what you do, and The …
- bob: Go Brandy FGL - Just go away.