Bastard Sons of Johnny Cash Announce New Album
- The Bastards Sons of Johnny Cash plan to have a new album out sometime this year (fall or spring, depending on which part of the article you believe). Titled Bend In the Road, it will consist of 10 new originals along with covers of Billy Joe Shaver and Steve Earle.
New releases for the week of January 27, 2009 include:
Bob Wills & His Texas Playboys – The Tiffany Transcriptions [Box set]
Nothin’ Fancy – Lord Bless This House
Steve Martin – The Crow: New Songs For the Five-String Banjo
- Even after 41 number one songs Merle Haggard feels that in other people’s minds his accomplishments are second to his time in prison. In an interview with Karen Cotton for the Wyoming Tribune Eagle, he talks about that prison time and his accomplishments; the lack of songs like “Ring of Fire,” “The Gambler” and “Okie From Muskogee” in contemporary country; and “Carrie Underwear,” who he says he likes, but asks, “where’s the songs?” (via ggcolumn)
- Kellie Pickler has been named as one of the new celebrity spokespersons for the Sexy Hair product line.
- The Houston Chronicle‘s Joey Guerra on the new Pat Green album What I’m For:
Green’s 10 new tracks aren’t terribly syrupy, but there’s nary a moment here that seems worth more than a few casual listens.
The lone exception is In This World, a plaintive ballad that boasts lovely guitar and mandolin work. Green’s vocal is equally sweet but subtle, never veering into treacly territory. Even more telling — it’s the only song Green wrote by himself. He should have stuck it out solo for the rest of the album.
- Following a number of high-profile public appearances, Jamey Johnson’s beard announced that it will begin work on a solo debut in coming months.
- The HearYa indie music blog on Justin Townes Earle‘s new album:
With Midnight At The Movies, Justin Townes Earle tips the brim of his hat to his country, blues and roots predecessors and proves that American storytelling and the purity of song are still alive. This album makes country music inspired and relevant again.
- John Rich intends to keep his private life private.
- Despite rating an amazing eight on “The Checklist,” Eric Church‘s “Love Your Love the Most” scored a measly thirty-four cents on Farce The Music‘s value chart — which basically means it sucks.
- The Loveless Cafe in Nashville opened its new music venue last Friday and Chris Parton claims The SteelDrivers set a high mark for future acts.
- The song “Oh You Pretty Woman” from the forthcoming Willie and the Wheel album is available for streaming on Asleep at the Wheel‘s MySpace. Three more songs are scheduled to be released before the album’s February 3 release date, and if that won’t hold you over, the XM radio station Willie’s Place will be featuring a new song from the album every hour throughout the weekend with commentary from Willie Nelson and Ray Benson.
- Don’t forget, today is the last day for The 9513 First Annual Country Music Awards, so get your votes in before the end of the day.
- Applejack: It's not just you, Andrew L. I just listened to the clips on Amazon, and the autotune effect is terrible.
- Andrew L.: Is it just me or does Strait sound horribly autotuned on the clips for the new live album? I can't …
- Juli Thanki: You'll get to hear it pretty soon: The Wall Street Journal is going to stream the album on their website …
- Leeann Ward: Way to go to David Cantwell for getting a name drop! Great interview, Juli! Womack's new album is awesome! I've not always …
- Jonathan Pappalardo: Great interview as always, Juli! The new album is fantastic. "Same Kind of Different" is my favorite cut although "Fly" is …
- Dave D.: Good interview. Looking forward to the new record, and particularly interested in hearing her version of Brennen Leigh's "Sleeping with …
- nm: I guess it's not surprising that a singer who gets her songs all over the place, the way Womack does, …
- SunsetPark: As a Pennsylvanian to this day, thanks for the list. I haven't heard the Quecreek song and so can't …
- Paul W Dennis: I would urge readers to check out the Billy Edd Wheeler salute on October 18, 2014. Billy Edd Wheeler is …
- Leeann Ward: I'm really liking Pink's folk duo song! I'm looking forward to the album!