Bastard Sons of Johnny Cash Announce New Album
- The Bastards Sons of Johnny Cash plan to have a new album out sometime this year (fall or spring, depending on which part of the article you believe). Titled Bend In the Road, it will consist of 10 new originals along with covers of Billy Joe Shaver and Steve Earle.
New releases for the week of January 27, 2009 include:
Bob Wills & His Texas Playboys – The Tiffany Transcriptions [Box set]
Nothin’ Fancy – Lord Bless This House
Steve Martin – The Crow: New Songs For the Five-String Banjo
- Even after 41 number one songs Merle Haggard feels that in other people’s minds his accomplishments are second to his time in prison. In an interview with Karen Cotton for the Wyoming Tribune Eagle, he talks about that prison time and his accomplishments; the lack of songs like “Ring of Fire,” “The Gambler” and “Okie From Muskogee” in contemporary country; and “Carrie Underwear,” who he says he likes, but asks, “where’s the songs?” (via ggcolumn)
- Kellie Pickler has been named as one of the new celebrity spokespersons for the Sexy Hair product line.
- The Houston Chronicle‘s Joey Guerra on the new Pat Green album What I’m For:
Green’s 10 new tracks aren’t terribly syrupy, but there’s nary a moment here that seems worth more than a few casual listens.
The lone exception is In This World, a plaintive ballad that boasts lovely guitar and mandolin work. Green’s vocal is equally sweet but subtle, never veering into treacly territory. Even more telling — it’s the only song Green wrote by himself. He should have stuck it out solo for the rest of the album.
- Following a number of high-profile public appearances, Jamey Johnson’s beard announced that it will begin work on a solo debut in coming months.
- The HearYa indie music blog on Justin Townes Earle‘s new album:
With Midnight At The Movies, Justin Townes Earle tips the brim of his hat to his country, blues and roots predecessors and proves that American storytelling and the purity of song are still alive. This album makes country music inspired and relevant again.
- John Rich intends to keep his private life private.
- Despite rating an amazing eight on “The Checklist,” Eric Church‘s “Love Your Love the Most” scored a measly thirty-four cents on Farce The Music‘s value chart — which basically means it sucks.
- The Loveless Cafe in Nashville opened its new music venue last Friday and Chris Parton claims The SteelDrivers set a high mark for future acts.
- The song “Oh You Pretty Woman” from the forthcoming Willie and the Wheel album is available for streaming on Asleep at the Wheel‘s MySpace. Three more songs are scheduled to be released before the album’s February 3 release date, and if that won’t hold you over, the XM radio station Willie’s Place will be featuring a new song from the album every hour throughout the weekend with commentary from Willie Nelson and Ray Benson.
- Don’t forget, today is the last day for The 9513 First Annual Country Music Awards, so get your votes in before the end of the day.
- Leeann Ward: Sheesh, Paul, that's a random/strange dig!
- Jack Williams: After reading that New Yorker article, I canceled my pre-order of the Basement Tapes box set. I love Bob …
- Leeann Ward: Wow! How terrible for Dixie Hall and Tom.
- Ken Morton, Jr.: Another twisted collection of songs to put into the Friday Five Hall of Fame, Juli.
- Arlene: I'd have included "Omie Wise." Doc Watson's is the version I'm familiar with but I think it's been recorded by …
- luckyoldsun: I think the number one country murder ballad is "Frankie and Johnny"--by Jimmie. Also, how about "Delia's Gone" from Harry Belafonte …
- Juli Thanki: Colloquial use of "fantastic" as a synonym for "excellent" dates back to the 1930s. And if it's good enough for …
- Paul W Dennis: I think "Banks of The Ohio", "Miller's Cave" and "It's Nothing to Me" are far creepier than several of the …
- Paul W Dennis: The Hight article is interesting, although I don't know that I would describe it as fantastic, but then I know …
- Dana M: I'm actually excited to hear a new Reba album. As for the Alan Jackson tour, I hope he announces Canadian …