Barefooted Performer Pat Green Likens Playing On Stage To Working In His Den
- Last week Linda from Still Is Still Moving had her blog name checked by Willie Nelson on Bill Mack’s XM Radio show. The excitement doesn’t stop there, she called in this week and actually got to talk to Willie!
Linda: Hello, Willie, this is Linda, from Colorado. I’m the person who has the stillisstillmoving.com website.
Willie: Oh, my goodness I am sure glad to talk to you. I have been checking the still is still moving.com, I been checking it every day. Thank you for all, you know, you’re pretty much on top of everything.
Earlier in the week Linda had emailed someone asking if she could get a press pass to one of Willie’s shows, unfortunately they had to decline. But, to show that he had been reading, Willie said he wanted to make sure she got to the show. Read the transcript on Still Is Still Moving.
- Linda isn’t the only one with some exciting news these days, Kevin scored a telephone interview with Pam Tillis that he transcribed on Country Universe.
- Despite being on the Flip Flop Summer Tour with Kenny Chesney, Pat Green still hits the stage sans shoes. Green says, “It’s just more comfortable to me.”
- And the hype for the new Bon Jovi “country” album begins. Listeners can expect an album along the lines of Sugarland, Big & Rich, and Keith Urban. According to the article on USA Today, the band wrote some songs with more of a traditional country sound, but decided against releasing those because they didn’t want to seem like they were pandering to an audience. The album won’t be too much different from what Bon Jovi has been doing for their entire careers. Guitarist Richie Sambora on some of the differences:
The title track, for instance, sports subtle touches of fiddle and pedal steel, as might be heard on an Urban record, while Whole Lot of Leavin’ begins with an acoustic guitar pattern and that steady four-on-the-floor rhythm that Waylon Jennings used to favor. But those are minor variations.
- Joining Jewel during her free three-hour acoustic show a couple of nights ago were John Rich and Kix Brooks. Apparently there was also “hilarious stories about Crisco and armpit sweat,” but we don’t get any details in the article.
- How does Dollywood strike you? The Atlanta Journal-Constitution is seeking opinions on what you thought of the theme park if you’ve been, and whether you would go if you haven’t ever been.
You’re never more than a few steps, or a few minutes, from live country, bluegrass, gospel and pop, on a half-dozen stages more than 40 times a day.
It sounds like it could be quite appealing. All the praise in the comment section doesn’t hurt, either.
- John Goodspeed delivers this gem from the mouth of Marty Stuart:
“The thing I took away from Cash was about being absolutely fearless creatively, about taking your eye off any kind of box office or chart numbers,” Stuart said. “It’s about what fills up your heart, do it, have fun doing it, be serious about it and it’s going to find an audience and its mark.”
- In her review of some Dolly Parton reissues, Margaret Moser from The Austin Chronicle writes “under the cake-frosting hair and gobs of make-up, Dolly Parton’s as real as they come.” Coat of Many Colors received three stars, My Tennessee Mountain Home took two stars, and Jolene got three and a half.
- Little Dog Records sent out an email informing the F.O.L.D (Friends of Little Dog) that the new Moot Davis album will be released in August under the name of Already Moved On. This one should be pretty exciting.
- Dave W.: Just read the news here. Will miss E145 very much - love this site. All the best to you Juli …
- Leeann Ward: Oh, dang! This is real. Farewell to the most generous, informative, quality, intelligent, consistent, ethical country music blog! You …
- bll: Thanks Juli for all the great articles and information; you'll be missed by me and I suss several others. Best …
- Both Kinds of Music: I hope people appreciate the irony that one of the best "Americana" albums is titled Metamodern Sounds in COUNTRY Music.
- Barry Mazor: I would not rule out that possibility..There's a different set of voters involved..
- Dana M: Does anyone else think that Brandy Clark actually has a good chance of winning since this isn't a country awards …
- Juli Thanki: UPDATE: Brandy Clark got a Best New Artist nom. BEST AMERICANA ALBUM: Rosanne Cash -- The River & The Thread John Hiatt -- Terms …
- luckyoldsun: Glenn Campbell is great and I'd love to see him get an award, but the words of that song may …
- Casey Penn: Juli, it was an honor to write for you here on Engine145.com. You're good at what you do, and The …
- bob: Go Brandy FGL - Just go away.