The Band Perry Pays Funeral Costs for Nine Killed in Fire; SPBGMA Winners Announced; New Music Videos
- Pinecastle Records is going to unveil a lost Osborne Brothers recording that was made in 1973 but never released. Nashville is due out in June; a special vinyl copy will be produced as well.
- Nickel Creek released a new song and announced eight tour dates.
- The Band Perry stepped in to pay funeral costs and hotel expenses for a large family from Greenville, Kentucky, who suffered losses and injuries in a recent house fire. Eight children and their mother died in the fire; only the father and one child survived.
- The SPGBMA Awards were held last night. Rhonda Vincent took home Entertainer of the Year honors while The Gibson Brothers’ “They Called It Music” won Song of the Year. Here is the full list of winners.
- The Grand Ole Opry has started a new video series of dramatic readings in which artists provide a deadpan non-musical reading of a current or past hit by another artist, like Jeannie Seely taking on “Fancy.” Others include Larry Gatlin reading Florida Georgia Line’s “Cruise.”
- Bear Family will release the Dolly Parton & Porter Wagoner box set Just Between You and Me: Complete Recordings 1967-1976 this spring.
- Suzy Bogguss appeared on Good Day L.A. Watch the interview and performance here. (h/t our pal Grace)
- Miranda Lambert will release new single “Automatic” to country radio on Wednesday.
- David Nail’s “Whatever She’s Got” hit Number One on the Billboard charts.
- The Charlie Daniels Band will release an album dedicated to Bob Dylan in April.
- The always-wry C.M. Wilcox posted another Quotable Country over at Country California.
- Darius Rucker didn’t accept his Grammy award in person because he got stuck in traffic.
- Chris Stapleton signed a publishing deal with Warner/Chappell Music.
- Nominations for the 12th Annual Texas Music Awards have been announced.
- Multi-market Clear Channel country DJ Bobby Bones flirted with leaving radio for television but ended up staying put.
- The Tennessean’s Cindy Watts profiled Steve Buchanan, the Senior Vice President of Gaylord Entertainment and overseer of the Grand Ole Opry.
- The Birthplace of Country Music Museum in Bristol, Virginia is on track for an August opening.
- New music videos from the last week or two:
Korby Lenker – “Forbidden Fruit”
Keith Urban – “Cop Car”
Brett Eldredge – “Beat of the Music”
Chase Rice – “Ready Set Roll”
Rod Picott – “65 Falcon”
Josh Rouse – “A Lot Like Magic”
Steve Martin & Steep Canyon Rangers featuring Edie Brickell – “Pretty Little One”
Ruby the RabbitFoot – “Ways”
Dean Brody – “Crop Circles”
Billy Ray Cyrus and Dionne Warwick – “Hope is Just Ahead”
Michael Christopher – “Keep It Country”
Lance Carpenter – “12th and Gibson”
Jarrod Birmingham – “December Gone”
Deric Ruttan – “Pass It Around”
The Weeping Willows – “Home for the Broken Soul”
Logan Brill – “Scars” (Live at The High Watt)
- Dave W.: Just read the news here. Will miss E145 very much - love this site. All the best to you Juli …
- Leeann Ward: Oh, dang! This is real. Farewell to the most generous, informative, quality, intelligent, consistent, ethical country music blog! You …
- bll: Thanks Juli for all the great articles and information; you'll be missed by me and I suss several others. Best …
- Both Kinds of Music: I hope people appreciate the irony that one of the best "Americana" albums is titled Metamodern Sounds in COUNTRY Music.
- Barry Mazor: I would not rule out that possibility..There's a different set of voters involved..
- Dana M: Does anyone else think that Brandy Clark actually has a good chance of winning since this isn't a country awards …
- Juli Thanki: UPDATE: Brandy Clark got a Best New Artist nom. BEST AMERICANA ALBUM: Rosanne Cash -- The River & The Thread John Hiatt -- Terms …
- luckyoldsun: Glenn Campbell is great and I'd love to see him get an award, but the words of that song may …
- Casey Penn: Juli, it was an honor to write for you here on Engine145.com. You're good at what you do, and The …
- bob: Go Brandy FGL - Just go away.