Austin City Limits Hall of Fame to Induct Willie Nelson; Kasey Chambers Returns to the Studio; New Album Releases
- Willie Nelson and Stevie Ray Vaughan are the inaugural inductees into the Austin City Limits Hall of Fame. Buddy Guy, Lyle Lovett, and more will perform at the induction ceremony on April 26.
- Kasey Chambers is back in the studio working on a solo album.
- If you were still deciding between the ACM Awards broadcast and Game of Thrones’ fourth season premiere, this might tip the scales in favor of the latter: Blake Shelton and Shakira will perform together at the Awards. (via press release)
- Then again, George Strait and Miranda Lambert will salute Merle Haggard during the ACM Awards with a medley that includes “The Bottle Let Me Down” and “I’m a Lonesome Fugitive.”
- The Haden Triplets played an NPR Tiny Desk Concert.
- The Band Perry signed a publishing deal with Sony/ATV Nashville.
- Chuck Mead was featured on NPR’s Weekend Edition.
- The L.A Times premiered Joe Henry’s “Lead Me On” from forthcoming album Invisible Hour, which comes out June 3.
- Nickel Creek was the subject of a New York Times feature.
- WYPR broadcast a piece on Baltimore’s banjo history (some of the first commercially-produced banjos were made there in the 1840s). There’s also a new banjo exhibit at the Baltimore Museum of Industry.
- Willie Watson talked about his new record and solo career on WBHM. Listen here.
- Yahoo Music premiered a track from alt-country band Vaudeville Etiquette.
- A handful of Nashville actors will embark on a three city mini-tour this spring.
- Bluegrass Mass is coming to Shelby, North Carolina later this month thanks in part to The Earl Scruggs Center and noted five-string enthusiast Jesus.
- Truth & Salvage Co. played a few for CMT’s Concrete Country.
- Here’s a clip from The Milk Carton Kids’ new DVD, Live from Lincoln Theatre, which comes out April 29.
- Two-step at the 10 best dance halls in Texas.
- Emmylou Harris, Bonnie Raitt, and Carrie Underwood will help salute Linda Ronstadt at her induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame on April 10.
- This week’s album releases (if you dig the daily news roundups and the other content posted on E145, please help support the site by purchasing your music through these affiliate links):
Nickel Creek – A Dotted Line
Charlie Daniels Band – Off the Grid: Doin’ It Dylan
Jonny Two Bags – Salvation Town
Donna Lynn Caskey – Nameless Heart
Monroeville – Can’t Put Me Out
Detour – Going Nowhere Fast
Infamous Stringdusters – Let It Go
Jon Langford & Skull Orchard – Here Be Monsters
The Robert Cray Band – In My Soul
Jeff Black – Folklore
Dan + Shay – Where It All Began
Leon Russell – Life Journey
John Sieger with Greg Koch – A Walk in the Park
Truckstop Honeymoon – The Madness of Happiness
Carrie Newcomer – A Permeable Life
Josh Thompson –Turn It Up
Various Artists – Looking Into You: A Tribute to Jackson Browne
Various Artists – Working Man’s Poet: A Tribute to Merle Haggard
- Dave W.: Just read the news here. Will miss E145 very much - love this site. All the best to you Juli …
- Leeann Ward: Oh, dang! This is real. Farewell to the most generous, informative, quality, intelligent, consistent, ethical country music blog! You …
- bll: Thanks Juli for all the great articles and information; you'll be missed by me and I suss several others. Best …
- Both Kinds of Music: I hope people appreciate the irony that one of the best "Americana" albums is titled Metamodern Sounds in COUNTRY Music.
- Barry Mazor: I would not rule out that possibility..There's a different set of voters involved..
- Dana M: Does anyone else think that Brandy Clark actually has a good chance of winning since this isn't a country awards …
- Juli Thanki: UPDATE: Brandy Clark got a Best New Artist nom. BEST AMERICANA ALBUM: Rosanne Cash -- The River & The Thread John Hiatt -- Terms …
- luckyoldsun: Glenn Campbell is great and I'd love to see him get an award, but the words of that song may …
- Casey Penn: Juli, it was an honor to write for you here on Engine145.com. You're good at what you do, and The …
- bob: Go Brandy FGL - Just go away.