Asleep At The Wheel Campaigns To Make Western Swing Texas Symbol
- Asleep at the Wheel is working to present Western Swing as the official symbol representing Texas’ musical heritage at the January 2009 legislative session, and they ask that if you feel the same way, please write into the state representatives.
- Wynonna plans to include a cover of Merle Haggard‘s “Are the Good Times Really Over (I Wish a Buck Was Still Silver)” on her forthcoming album, scheduled to be released this fall. You can watch her performance of the song at Alaska’s 50th anniversary concert for the military.
- Songwriter Craig Bickhardt says that the Voice has largely disappeared in the Nashville commodity song, which has led to “tune after tune featuring the same indistinct characters; the one-size fits all ‘proclaiming her independence’ diva, the bad-ass southern boy…”
If all of this seems abstract to you, perhaps you haven’t considered what a character is. A character is not an exterior creation. You don’t picture someone leaning on a lamp post and say,”Ah, a character!” You must go inside and find someone you know, an alter-ego of sorts, someone drawn from accumulated observation and experience, but not the Ambassador you present to the world. The Ambassador isn’t very interesting. He’s safe, smooth and packaged to prevent the need for damage control.
- Watch the video for former Nashville Star contestant Whitney Duncan‘s debut single, “When I Said I Would.”
- If you bemoan the loss of real country music, the music of Merle Haggard and Johnny Cash, “music with popping guitar runs and sinewy steel guitar lines,” then C. Eric Banister says Heybale‘s (MySpace) The Last Country Album is for you.
- Jack Ingram will join the live finale of Great American Country’s “Next GAC Star” talent competition on September 10 to judge and provide personal insight and advice to the six finalists. The competition is currently down to the top ten.
- Watch the new video for Jessica Simpson‘s “Come On Over.” There aren’t any cameos, but I hear that if you keep your eyes peeled you might catch a glimpse of the bottle for her new perfume, Fancy.
- To commemorate the 100th anniversary of “Take Me Out to the Ballgame,” ESPN’s Baseball Tonight held a battle of the bands competition. Nine bands recorded video of their versions of the song, which aired over a two week period, and Gretchen Wilson came out triumphant. In my humble opinion, the Punch Brothers did a respectable job, too.
- Bob Lefsetz on country radio: “country radio is going through a boring phase right now. You know the format is fucked up if Jessica Simpson is climbing the charts, it’s got no RESPECT! You want to hear something just a little bit different, whether it be instrumentation or structure, and all you get is retreads of the same old formula.”
- The Tennessean‘s Beverly Keel calls Randy Travis‘ twang as sharp as Wisconsin cheddar and the Los Angeles Times‘ Randy Lewis borrows an old Waylon Jennings line about Porter Wagoner to describe Travis–a country traditionalist who couldn’t go pop with a mouthful of firecrack-ers.
- Edward Morris says when marriages fail, country music weeps, and he dubs the video for Reba McEntire‘s “Every Other Weekend” a weeper. I’d like to add that the parents absolutely nail their parts in the video.
- Dave W.: Just read the news here. Will miss E145 very much - love this site. All the best to you Juli …
- Leeann Ward: Oh, dang! This is real. Farewell to the most generous, informative, quality, intelligent, consistent, ethical country music blog! You …
- bll: Thanks Juli for all the great articles and information; you'll be missed by me and I suss several others. Best …
- Both Kinds of Music: I hope people appreciate the irony that one of the best "Americana" albums is titled Metamodern Sounds in COUNTRY Music.
- Barry Mazor: I would not rule out that possibility..There's a different set of voters involved..
- Dana M: Does anyone else think that Brandy Clark actually has a good chance of winning since this isn't a country awards …
- Juli Thanki: UPDATE: Brandy Clark got a Best New Artist nom. BEST AMERICANA ALBUM: Rosanne Cash -- The River & The Thread John Hiatt -- Terms …
- luckyoldsun: Glenn Campbell is great and I'd love to see him get an award, but the words of that song may …
- Casey Penn: Juli, it was an honor to write for you here on Engine145.com. You're good at what you do, and The …
- bob: Go Brandy FGL - Just go away.