Angaleena Presley Signs with Slate Creek; Garden & Gun Debuts OCMS Song; New Music Videos
- You will never be as cool as Del McCoury high-fiving people from a motorcycle sidecar at a festival he named after himself.
- The 615’s Rich Appel reports that, “The ink has barely dried on the deal between Cumulus Media and Big Machine Label Group creating a new country music record label (Nash Icons) and live events business. Now comes the fun part. Big Machine president/CEO Scott Borchetta is searching for big stars to sign up — and Garth Brooks, Faith Hill, Alan Jackson and Shania Twain are all said to be in his sights. ‘I would look for Scott to make an announcement in the next 30 days,’ says Cumulus CEO Lew Dickey.”
- Maya Angelou, in addition to being a remarkable woman and writer, also loved country music. Remember that CMT special on spiritual songs she hosted back when CMT aired programs about music? Angelou passed away this morning. She was 86.
- Kelly Willis talks about her new record with Bruce Robison in this CMT Edge interview.
- Ray Stevens is releasing a book on June 22. He’s also starring in a movie called Campin’ Buddies.
- On the morning of June 5, Alan Jackson will be making a special announcement at the Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum, who’ll stream the event on their site. Let’s speculate wildly. (The last time I remember a press conference like this, it was George Strait announcing his retirement.) (via press release)
- Angaleena Presley has signed with Slate Creek Records; she’ll release a solo album in the fall. (via press release)
- Here’s a brief video interview of Sturgill Simpson discussing Metamodern Sounds in Country Music. (warning: autoplay)
- Emmylou Harris in the Colorado Springs Independent: “I think songs are kind of primal, in a way. Songs that have a certain truth to them? They take on more colors and facets as you get older, and they have a richer meaning. Then some other songs might fall away, like a drinking song or something that you did for fun. And you feel like, ‘Why should I bother with that?’”
- Listen to eight songs from Miranda Lambert’s Platinum before it comes out next week.
- Lee Ann Womack is one of 10 performers who’ve been added to the CMT Music Awards lineup.
- Garden & Gun posted Old Crow Medicine Show’s “Brushy Mountain Conjugal Trailer” from the band’s forthcoming album, Remedy.
- Steve Gulley’s going to release a gospel album called Family, Friends & Fellowship July 22 on Rural Rhythm. (via press release)
- Maryland’s governor, Martin O’Malley, grabbed his gitjo and busked in Annapolis on Memorial Day.
- Chatham County Line and Aoife O’Donovan have some music available for download on NoiseTrade.
- David Menconi interviewed Bland Hoke, an artist who’s crafting a “Banjostand” for IBMA’s annual World of Bluegrass, which returns to Raleigh in the fall.
- Our pal Kelly Dearmore wrote a feature on Matt Hillyer, who recently released a solo album.
- Kacey Musgraves and pop star Katy Perry shared some info about their Crossroads episode, which CMT will premiere on June 13.
- Geoffrey Himes of Paste asks, “Is everyone’s view of musical history distorted by the accidental fact of when they turned 12? Ask anyone who’s not a music critic to draw up a list of the 10 best albums of all time and there’s a good chance that eight or nine of them will have been released after the listmaker turned 10 and before he or she turned 30. Every listmaker, no matter when they were born, will believe that that 20-year stretch was the unparalleled golden age of recorded music.”
- Taylor Swift’s Bangkok concert has been canceled following the recent military coup in Thailand…though the Thai army is no match for a legion of devoted Swift fans.
- Here’s a fun photo gallery of Barbara Mandrell’s 1984 Celebrity Softball Classic. So many perms.
- Jamie Lynn Spears talks about her new EP in a series of videos posted on The 615.
- New music videos and a couple live performances:
Brad Paisley – “River Bank”
Jason Eady – “Daylight and Dark”
Possessed By Paul James – “No Windows”
Mark O’Connor – “La Bamba”
First Aid Kit – “Cedar Lane”
Del McCoury Band with David Grisman – “Country Boy Rock ‘n’ Roll”
- Dave D.: I never expected to see a shout out to the Cameron Family Singers today (or any day, for that matter). …
- nm: Duncan Cooper is not wrong.
- bob: Re Herndon, O'Neal & Griggs touring together, Herndon's "Lies I Told Myself Album" includes a duet with O'Neal, "I Can't". …
- luckyoldsun: Looks like CMT is pulling a "surprise" for its Artists' Choice countdown. They're coming up on #2 but there are …
- Jim Z: " Luke Bryan (Best Country Male Artist), Brantley Gilbert’s Just as I Am (Best Country Album), Carrie Underwood (Best Country …
- luckyoldsun: MH-- "...divisive, dismissive and argumentative." There's a shock. Who'da thunk it.
- MH: Looks like the IBMA is finding out what a lot of us already knew about former & frequent Engine 145 …
- Tom: ...it is almost the year 2015 - ain't it about time we leave people (celebrities included) having the personal relations …
- Paul W Dennis: I had assumed that Herndon was gay after the incident that Lucky Old Sun referenced, but bought the next Herndon …
- Jonathan Pappalardo: For anyone who wants to buy it, the Rosanne Cash 45 is available again. With 1000 copies being created, I …