AmericanaFest Lineup Announced; Bluegrass Nights at the Ryman Resume; Album Releases
- The Hattiesburg American reports that the Coca-Cola building in Philadelphia, Mississippi is being transformed into a warehouse associated with the proposed Marty Stuart Center. When it opens, the Center will hold Stuart’s collection of country music memorabilia.
- Ruthie Foster will release Promise of a New Day on August 19. USA Today premiered one of the tracks, “Singing the Blues.”
- On July 3, The Clay Hess Band will release their first full-length album, 1.
- Vince Gill will kick off this year’s Bluegrass Nights at the Ryman series on Thursday.
- A fundraising campaign has been launched to help provide – and subsequently maintain – a headstone for Mamie Smith nearly 70 years after the blues singer’s death.
- In other fundraising news, Dan Keen and Jon Weisberger are heading up a benefit record to help support IBMA. The album will include folks like Pam Tillis, The Gibson Brothers, Shawn Camp, Sierra Hull, and Jim Lauderdale.
- Kelly Dearmore reviewed Kris Kristofferson’s recent show in Dallas.
- Willie Nelson’s “Crazy” is American Songwriter’s Lyric of the Week.
- Stream Sean Watkins’ All I Do is Lie before its July 1 release.
- Kelsey Waldon’s new record is one of my favorite of the summer. Here’s a recent Q&A she did with CMT Edge’s Brian T. Atkinson.
- Skip Matheny of American Songwriter did a fine interview with Dolly Parton.
- John Fullbright on his excellent new record, Songs: “If you don’t start with a song, you’re not going to end up with much…That’s not to say that I haven’t gone into a studio and put bells and whistles on stuff, and overproduced before. It just happened to be that with these songs for the record, the more that we scrutinized and looked at it real close, they really didn’t need much to get the point across. Even with coming up with the title, that’s where our minds were – that we didn’t need to wax poetic too much about what we had, because they kind of spoke [for] themselves.”
- This year’s AmericanaFest lineup looks killer, with Lee Ann Womack, Rodney Crowell, Buddy Miller, Parker Millsap, and many more all scheduled to perform. More artists will be announced at a later date.
- American Songwriter’s “Nashville Issue” will hit newsstands July 8, but you can get a digital copy now.
- Brandy Clark’s continued excellence has recently been featured in The Village Voice, The New York Times, and Rolling Stone Country. (If you’ve only got time to read one of these articles, Alan Scherstuhl’s Village Voice piece should be it.)
- Christopher Denny was interviewed by CMT Edge’s Stephen Deusner. The site also premiered Denny’s “If the Roses Don’t Kill Us.”
- Paste put together a list of 10 folky covers (by folks like Tim O’Brien, The Duhks, and Chris Thile) of pop, rock, and hip-hop songs.
- Singer-songwriter Jonah Tolchin’s new record is streaming here.
- This week’s album releases (If you dig the content on E145, we’d appreciate it if you’d purchase your music through our affiliate links. It doesn’t cost you extra, but help us offset site expenses.):
The Duhks – Beyond the Blue
Carolina Story – Chapter Two
Robert Gordon – I’m Coming Home
Jess Klein – Learning Faith
Sarah Borges – Radio Sweetheart
Matt Harlan – Raven Hotel
Janiva Magness – Original
Ron Gallo – Ronny
Mike Scott & Friends – The Old Country Church
The Tall Pines – Black Ribbon
The Loudermilks – The Loudermilks
Caleb Caudle – Paint Another Layer on My Heart
Jim Mize – Jim Mize
Green River Ordinance – The Collection: Live & Unplugged
Waylon Speed – Kin
Rebirth Brass Band – Move Your Body
Various Artists – Classic African American Songsters from Smithsonian Folkways
- And a book:
Ray Stevens – Ray Stevens’ Nashville
- Paige: Oh damn. :( I never commented here and I haven't been listening to any music at all since Thanksgiving (it …
- Dave W.: Just read the news here. Will miss E145 very much - love this site. All the best to you Juli …
- Leeann Ward: Oh, dang! This is real. Farewell to the most generous, informative, quality, intelligent, consistent, ethical country music blog! You …
- bll: Thanks Juli for all the great articles and information; you'll be missed by me and I suss several others. Best …
- Both Kinds of Music: I hope people appreciate the irony that one of the best "Americana" albums is titled Metamodern Sounds in COUNTRY Music.
- Barry Mazor: I would not rule out that possibility..There's a different set of voters involved..
- Dana M: Does anyone else think that Brandy Clark actually has a good chance of winning since this isn't a country awards …
- Juli Thanki: UPDATE: Brandy Clark got a Best New Artist nom. BEST AMERICANA ALBUM: Rosanne Cash -- The River & The Thread John Hiatt -- Terms …
- luckyoldsun: Glenn Campbell is great and I'd love to see him get an award, but the words of that song may …
- Casey Penn: Juli, it was an honor to write for you here on Engine145.com. You're good at what you do, and The …