Americana Music Award Winners Announced; Bearfoot Undergoes Lineup Changes; Stream New Dwight Yoakam Song
- Here are the winners of last night’s Americana Music Awards and Honors:
Instrumentalist of the Year: Dave Rawlings
Album of the Year: This One’s For Him: A Tribute to Guy Clark; produced by Tamara Saviano and Shawn Camp
Song Of The Year Award : “Alabama Pines;” Written by Jason Isbell and performed by Jason Isbell and the 400 Unit
Emerging Artist of the Year: Alabama Shakes
Artist of the Year: Gillian Welch
Duo/group of the Year: The Civil Wars
Lifetime Achievement for Performance: Bonnie Raitt
Lifetime Achievement Award for Instrumentalist: Booker T. Jones
Lifetime Achievement Award for Songwriting: Richard Thompson
Lifetime Achievement Award for Executive: Dennis Lord
- Johnny Perez, drummer for the Sir Douglas Quintet and owner of Topanga Skyline Studio, passed away on Tuesday from complications of cirrhosis of the liver.
- Glen Campbell’s tour returned to his home state of Arkansas.
- Dan Milliken interviewed Punch Brothers for CMT Edge.
- Nora Jane Struthers and P.J. George have left Bearfoot to work on Struthers’ new solo project; her replacement is the excellent Megan McCormick.
- Mountain Home Music pays tribute to Doyle Lawson, one of this year’s Bluegrass Hall of Fame inductees, with this video.
- Josh Grider sang the national anthem at yesterday’s Rangers game.
- USA Today featured an article on The 78 Project, which recently launched a Kickstarter to help fund a documentary about the project.
- Listen to Dwight Yoakam’s “Take Hold of My Hand” from his upcoming album, 3 Pears.
- Chris Rutledge of American Songwriter talks with Dustin Lynch about the story behind “Cowboys and Angels.”
- Wade Hayes recorded a new song about his recent cancer battle; “Is It Already Time” is currently available on Amazon.
- CMA Music Festival: Country’s Night to Rock will air September 17 on ABC. No word yet on the broadcast date or existence of Country’s Night to Country.
- Listen to a cut from Buddy Miller and Jim Lauderdale’s upcoming duets record, due in indie record stores November 23, with a worldwide release slated for December 11.
- Taylor Swift’s “We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together” spent a third week atop Billboard’s Hot 100, the longest reign for a country song on the Hot 100 since Kenny Rogers’ “Lady,” which was Number One for six weeks in 1980.
- Jedd Beaudoin’s new PopMatters column is all about insurgent country bands from the Midwest, including Uncle Tupelo and Split Lip Rayfield.
- On September 23, the Travelin’ McCourys will play a free show in Nashville’s Cumberland Park following the Tennessee Titans game.
- Out October 30: Neil Young and Crazy Horse’s Psychedelic Pill.
- Buddy Guy is among the recipients of the 2012 Kennedy Center Honors. Robert Plant will also receive honors as part of Led Zeppelin.
- On September 29, Jessi Colter with Waymore’s Blues Band and Jamey Johnson will play a benefit concert for pancreatic cancer research.
- Ken Morton, Jr.: The inferiority complex of the CMA never ceases to amaze me.
- Barry Mazor: Thanks for explaining that to me, Luckyol.
- luckyoldsun: Barry, I think you're taking it a bit too seriously. CMT has to keep coming up with new lists to make. …
- Barry Mazor: Thi is a world in which the "top 40 most influential country artists of all time" do not include, for …
- luckyoldsun: I just noticed that Garth and King George are still to come. So unless I'm missing something else, the remaining seven …
- Leeann Ward: I hate it when people pronounce the days of the week with a "dy" ending instead of "day." It's like …
- luckyoldsun: Looking at that bizarre CMT Artists' list with Johnny Cash coming in at #8, it raises the question--Who are the …
- Leeann Ward: I'd have to agree with LOS here. The song was fair game to be released. It's no surprised that it …
- luckyoldsun: "'Brotherly Love,' IS a Keith Whitley song. Trying to take advantage of the impact sales, and the tragedy of Keith’s …
- Leeann Ward: Yes, we know that it's technically a Keith Whitley song, as Juli noted above.