Americana Music Association Elects New Board Members; Grant Turner Remembers The Opry
- Rodney Crowell, Raul Malo, and Buddy Miller are among the newly elected board members for the Americana Music Association.
- If Drew Kennedy were to shoot a video for one of the songs on his new album, which one should it be? Vote on his website.
- Despite a lack of fingers, which were burned after falling in a fireplace at age 11, Ray Pack is proficient on several instruments, played at the Ryman, and once had a regular five-nights-a-week engagement at Tootsie’s Orchid Lounge. (via That Nashville Sound)
- Farce the Music thinks fangirls and fanboys deserve a sackpunch.
- The Boot presented a list of their top country albums of 2009. (On a side note, the first couple of commenters deserve a sackpunch.)
- Nathan Rabin on Gary Stewart‘s song “Drinkin’ Thing”:
The voice boasted an almost painful intimacy and bruising intensity; it was as if this spectral croon was whispering secret thoughts into my ears. It felt like an after-midnight confession from a man just barely holding on to his sanity and fragile peace of mind. It was beautiful and heartbreaking and lonely and desperate and sad. For the next hour or so I played the song over and over again, luxuriating in its exquisite melancholy.
- Allen’s archive of early and old country music posted a vinyl rip of former Opry announcer Grant Turner talking about the way the Opry used to be. (via That Nashville Sound)
- In an interview with Craig Shelburne, Miranda Lambert explains how she came across the song “The House That Built Me”:
“The House That Built Me” is a life-changing song for me. I love it. I found it on a CD for Blake. We were listening to songs for him to cut. That song came on, and my reaction to it was, I just cried. I don’t really cry when I listen to music, but that song definitely hit me really hard. I asked Blake if I could have it, and he was like, “Yeah.” So we called the producers that night at midnight, and we were like, “Can we switch this? It’s on hold for Blake. Can we put it on hold for Miranda?”
- Amber Waves of Twang calls the new Sam Bush album Circle Around Me his most cohesive release to date.
- Songs:Illinois introduced Toronto-based clawhammer banjo player Chris Coole, who is set to release his first solo album, Old Dog, next week. Listen to “Hell to Pay.”
- The Lovell Sisters joined World Cafe host David Dye for an interview and song performances.
- nm: I enjoyed that Nashville recap from the Fug Girls, but the absolutely best recaps are in the Nashville Scene, by …
- Donald: "Don't Forget the Coffee, Billy Joe" is just one of my many favourites!
- paul w dennis: My favorite TTH sings are "I Can't Dance" and St. Louis Named A Shoe After Me" Of course, that just …
- luckyoldsun: Actually, it strikes me as a rather iffy subject for a museum. What kind of exhibits would they have? Jones …
- Tom: ...good idea, a george jones museum in nashville. is there a building tall enough for a voice and a career …
- mrsandy: Also worth noting: Priscilla Mitchell was Jerry Reed's widow.
- Leeann Ward: Wow! My heart goes out to Allison Moorer. She's had so many terrible things happen in her life. It's too …
- Leeann Ward: I must have this audio book!
- Juli Thanki: Ha! Same thing happened at Sturgill Simpson's show I went to last month, only he was singing "I Never Go …
- Dave D.: On the topic of Lee Ann and dark songs, the funniest moment at this year's Americana Fest was during her …