Americana Music Association Elects New Board Members; Grant Turner Remembers The Opry
- Rodney Crowell, Raul Malo, and Buddy Miller are among the newly elected board members for the Americana Music Association.
- If Drew Kennedy were to shoot a video for one of the songs on his new album, which one should it be? Vote on his website.
- Despite a lack of fingers, which were burned after falling in a fireplace at age 11, Ray Pack is proficient on several instruments, played at the Ryman, and once had a regular five-nights-a-week engagement at Tootsie’s Orchid Lounge. (via That Nashville Sound)
- Farce the Music thinks fangirls and fanboys deserve a sackpunch.
- The Boot presented a list of their top country albums of 2009. (On a side note, the first couple of commenters deserve a sackpunch.)
- Nathan Rabin on Gary Stewart‘s song “Drinkin’ Thing”:
The voice boasted an almost painful intimacy and bruising intensity; it was as if this spectral croon was whispering secret thoughts into my ears. It felt like an after-midnight confession from a man just barely holding on to his sanity and fragile peace of mind. It was beautiful and heartbreaking and lonely and desperate and sad. For the next hour or so I played the song over and over again, luxuriating in its exquisite melancholy.
- Allen’s archive of early and old country music posted a vinyl rip of former Opry announcer Grant Turner talking about the way the Opry used to be. (via That Nashville Sound)
- In an interview with Craig Shelburne, Miranda Lambert explains how she came across the song “The House That Built Me”:
“The House That Built Me” is a life-changing song for me. I love it. I found it on a CD for Blake. We were listening to songs for him to cut. That song came on, and my reaction to it was, I just cried. I don’t really cry when I listen to music, but that song definitely hit me really hard. I asked Blake if I could have it, and he was like, “Yeah.” So we called the producers that night at midnight, and we were like, “Can we switch this? It’s on hold for Blake. Can we put it on hold for Miranda?”
- Amber Waves of Twang calls the new Sam Bush album Circle Around Me his most cohesive release to date.
- Songs:Illinois introduced Toronto-based clawhammer banjo player Chris Coole, who is set to release his first solo album, Old Dog, next week. Listen to “Hell to Pay.”
- The Lovell Sisters joined World Cafe host David Dye for an interview and song performances.
- Leeann Ward: Sheesh, Paul, that's a random/strange dig!
- Jack Williams: After reading that New Yorker article, I canceled my pre-order of the Basement Tapes box set. I love Bob …
- Leeann Ward: Wow! How terrible for Dixie Hall and Tom.
- Ken Morton, Jr.: Another twisted collection of songs to put into the Friday Five Hall of Fame, Juli.
- Arlene: I'd have included "Omie Wise." Doc Watson's is the version I'm familiar with but I think it's been recorded by …
- luckyoldsun: I think the number one country murder ballad is "Frankie and Johnny"--by Jimmie. Also, how about "Delia's Gone" from Harry Belafonte …
- Juli Thanki: Colloquial use of "fantastic" as a synonym for "excellent" dates back to the 1930s. And if it's good enough for …
- Paul W Dennis: I think "Banks of The Ohio", "Miller's Cave" and "It's Nothing to Me" are far creepier than several of the …
- Paul W Dennis: The Hight article is interesting, although I don't know that I would describe it as fantastic, but then I know …
- Dana M: I'm actually excited to hear a new Reba album. As for the Alan Jackson tour, I hope he announces Canadian …