Americana Awards Nominees Announced; Shelby Lynne Free At Last; Blake Shelton Celebrates “Hillbilly Bone”
- Nominees for the 9th annual Americana Honors & Awards show were announced a couple of days ago.
- Blake Shelton talked about his latest hit at the No. 1 party for “Hillbilly Bone” on Wednesday:
“To be honest with y’all, it’s tough enough to go do interviews with people like Chelsea [Handler] and talk about a song called ‘Hillbilly Bone,’” Blake deadpanned. “I been defendin’ that for a while, you know — ‘My hillbilly bone got really big’ and all that stuff that you have to hear — but then to actually stand off to the side about 20 minutes ago and hear Craig Wiseman do an interview, which I’d never heard before, about writing the song and about how he and Luke were ‘messing around’ and came up with a song called ‘Hillbilly Bone’…”
- Austin Music Source’s Michael Corcoran praised Carrie Underwood‘s vocals after attending Wednesday’s performance at the Erwin Center, but worries that her music will lose its fun feel as she takes a bigger role in songwriting.
- Bruce Robison prefers Ticonderoga pencils.
- Farce the Music: Top 10 Suggested Wedding Presents for Blake Shelton & Miranda Lambert
- In today’s Nashville Skyline column, Chet Flippo recalled an encounter he had with one-time Opry regular Grandpa Jones:
Grandpa had a reputation as a somewhat standoffish, cantankerous sort. But I foolishly thought I would try out the line always used on him on the show, Hee Haw.
“Hey, Grandpa,” I asked. “What’s for supper?”
Without breaking stride or even looking at me, Grandpa replied, “F**k you!”
- Maxim magazine named Taylor Swift and Julianne Hough to its Hot 100 list.
- Country California Fake News: Country Music Blamed for Epidemic of Teen Cheerfulness
- Peter Cooper and Chris Talbott have written about the measures being taken to repair the Opry.
- Country Haiku:
Please, dear God, make me
The man that I want to be
James Bond plus John Holmes
- Galleywinter posted reviews of recent live albums from Wade Bowen (Live at Billy Bob’s Texas) and Jason Boland & The Stragglers (High In the Rockies: A Live Album).
- The Wall Street Journal‘s Barry Mazor interviewed Peter Wolf on the subject of his new album, Midnight Souvenirs, which puts the rocker’s love of country on display and includes duets with Merle Haggard, Shelby Lynne, and Neko Case.
- The recent Shelby Lynne album Tears, Lies and Alibis was supposed to be her second for Lost Highway (following her Dusty Springfield tribute), but a difference in opinions led her to produce and self-release. In an interview with Jewly Height she explains:
“This last time,” she says, “they weren’t really into my producing the record myself, because they just didn’t want that. They think it’s got to have a big name on it, a man’s name on it, in order to be any good. I refused to compromise on that level, because when you cut the budget in half, I mean, who’s gonna produce for that kind of money? Nobody.
“So I just decided that I had no choice but to do it on my own. It wasn’t my first choice, believe me. But if there’s no money, there’s no money. When I played it for Lost Highway, they still wanted to bring in somebody else. And I just said no. And that’s when they passed. And I’m glad they did. Goddamn. I’m free. Free at last.”
It sounds risky, but the decision is paying off. “Hell, so far this record’s been out a week,” she says, “and I’ve sold as many as I did the last record that Lost Highway put out.
- luckyoldsun: Actually, it strikes me as a rather iffy subject for a museum. What kind of exhibits would they have? Jones …
- Tom: ...good idea, a george jones museum in nashville. is there a building tall enough for a voice and a career …
- mrsandy: Also worth noting: Priscilla Mitchell was Jerry Reed's widow.
- Leeann Ward: Wow! My heart goes out to Allison Moorer. She's had so many terrible things happen in her life. It's too …
- Leeann Ward: I must have this audio book!
- Juli Thanki: Ha! Same thing happened at Sturgill Simpson's show I went to last month, only he was singing "I Never Go …
- Dave D.: On the topic of Lee Ann and dark songs, the funniest moment at this year's Americana Fest was during her …
- Jonathan Pappalardo: I love Lori McKenna. Coming from Massachusetts, she's our local girl. I've been fortunate to see her in concert a …
- bll: I suss her re-recording her hits for 'Gwendolen records' means she can stop MCA from releasing her hits against her.
- Greg Judy: Cooler festivals and marching bands at the football games!