Americana Awards Nominees Announced; Dehlia Low Members Form New Band; Album Releases
- The nominees for the 2014 Americana Honors & Awards were named yesterday (check our Facebook page later today for Barry Mazor’s exclusive photos from yesterday’s announcement shindig):
Album of the Year: Sarah Jarosz – Build Me Up from Bones, Robert Ellis – The Lights from the Chemical Plant, Rosanne Cash – The River and the Thread, Jason Isbell – Southeastern
Artist of the Year: Rosanne Cash, Rodney Crowell, Robert Ellis, Jason Isbell
Duo/Group of the Year: Avett Brothers, The Devil Makes Three, Lake Street Dive, Milk Carton Kids, Hard Working Americans
Song of the Year: Jason Isbell – “Cover Me Up,” Rosanne Cash – “A Feather’s Not a Bird,” Patty Griffin – “Ohio,” Robert Ellis – “Only Lies”
Emerging Act of the Year: Hurray for the Riff Raff, Parker Millsap, St. Paul & The Broken Bones, Valerie June, Sturgill Simpson
Instrumentalist of the Year: Larry Campbell, Fats Kaplin, Buddy Miller, Bryan Sutton
- The radio show Country Fried Rock hosted John Howie, Jr.
- Today’s mandatory reading (besides Karlie’s review of Sturgill Simpson’s new record): Turk Pipkin’s Esquire article on Kris Kristofferson.
- Glen Campbell’s Alzheimer’s is worsening, reports Cindy Watts of The Tennessean. Campbell’s wife says that he “can’t even tune a guitar now,” although he does find joy in playing a few licks “here and there.”
- Shorpy.com posted a photo of Johnny Cash that was shot in 1968 for Look magazine.
- C.M. Wilcox posted a new installment of Quotable Country.
- Dolly Parton’s new record includes a revamped version of Bon Jovi’s “Lay Your Hands on Me.” Parton recently discussed this choice with Entertainment Weekly.
- Members of Dehlia Low have formed the band Tellico. Sign up for the group’s mailing list and get some free music.
- Later this month, Miranda Lambert’s vintage Airstream will visit L.A., Denver, Dallas, Oklahoma City, Chicago, Indianapolis, and Philly, offering select fans a preview of Lambert’s new album, Platinum.
- Lambert will perform at the CMT Music Awards in June along with Luke Bryan, Blake Shelton, Eric Church, Carrie Underwood, and Florida Georgia Line.
- Frank Solivan and Dirty Kitchen play some damn fine bluegrass music and occasionally rescue truckers.
- Rolling Stone shadowed Hunter Hayes during his record-setting string of concerts.
- Jason Isbell and John Paul White contributed vocals to Candi Staton’s “I Ain’t Easy to Love.” Listen here.
- When Neil Young was on The Tonight Show, he performed a version of “Crazy” in Jack White’s Third Man Records recording booth; the song was immediately pressed to vinyl. Check it out.
- Claudia Perry of The Chicago Tribune reviewed Nickel Creek’s Windy City tour stop.
- CMT Edge’s Chris Parton posted Imelda May’s new video for “It’s Good to Be Alive.”
- This week’s album releases:
Dolly Parton – Blue Smoke
Sturgill Simpson – Metamodern Sounds in Country Music
Radney Foster – Everything I Should Have Said
Hellbound Glory – LV
Matt Woods – With Love from Brushy Mountain
Candi Staton – Life Happens
Steven Padilla – Good at Goodbye
Brett Newski – American Folk Armageddon
Melissa Payne – High and Dry
Kathleen Grace – No Place to Fall
Jonny Burke – Jonny Burke
Hannah Aldridge – Razor Wire
Collin Herring – Some Knives
The Civil Wars – Live at Eddie’s Attic
Rascal Flatts – Rewind
Carrie Elkin & Danny Schmidt – For Keeps
Dave Van Ronk – Live in Monterey
- luckyoldsun: And sometimes she breaks into "I Fought the Law and the Law Won."
- bob: @Leeann - Don Schlitz's wife Stacy is also a good singer. At some of his shows, she'll sing a song …
- Leeann: It's hardly on topic, but Don Schlitz's wife is an actual lawyer.
- Erik North: I like that list of country songs that Laura Cantrell drew up for people who are suspicious of the genre. …
- Leeann: Thank you for linking to my discussion. To clarify, they're not so much my favorite Dad songs, but rather, songs …
- Jack: "I got turned off a not so new guy’s music after he started recording songs like “Get Drunk and Be …
- A.B.: I think I understand why the eating disorder facility wants to be located there besides it being the former Cash …
- Janice Brooks: Hopes somebody gets those memos about drinking songs. Meanwhile I'm feeling a lot of slots with Bluegrass.
- Leeann: Great news about Ricky Skaggs and Sharon White's duet album! Absolutely appalling about the Keith Urban concert!! Both the rape and …
- bob: I found the Billboard article about country music radio needing an alcohol intervention interesting. Songwriter Adam Wright is quoted as …