Americana Awards Nominees Announced; Dehlia Low Members Form New Band; Album Releases
- The nominees for the 2014 Americana Honors & Awards were named yesterday (check our Facebook page later today for Barry Mazor’s exclusive photos from yesterday’s announcement shindig):
Album of the Year: Sarah Jarosz – Build Me Up from Bones, Robert Ellis – The Lights from the Chemical Plant, Rosanne Cash – The River and the Thread, Jason Isbell – Southeastern
Artist of the Year: Rosanne Cash, Rodney Crowell, Robert Ellis, Jason Isbell
Duo/Group of the Year: Avett Brothers, The Devil Makes Three, Lake Street Dive, Milk Carton Kids, Hard Working Americans
Song of the Year: Jason Isbell – “Cover Me Up,” Rosanne Cash – “A Feather’s Not a Bird,” Patty Griffin – “Ohio,” Robert Ellis – “Only Lies”
Emerging Act of the Year: Hurray for the Riff Raff, Parker Millsap, St. Paul & The Broken Bones, Valerie June, Sturgill Simpson
Instrumentalist of the Year: Larry Campbell, Fats Kaplin, Buddy Miller, Bryan Sutton
- The radio show Country Fried Rock hosted John Howie, Jr.
- Today’s mandatory reading (besides Karlie’s review of Sturgill Simpson’s new record): Turk Pipkin’s Esquire article on Kris Kristofferson.
- Glen Campbell’s Alzheimer’s is worsening, reports Cindy Watts of The Tennessean. Campbell’s wife says that he “can’t even tune a guitar now,” although he does find joy in playing a few licks “here and there.”
- Shorpy.com posted a photo of Johnny Cash that was shot in 1968 for Look magazine.
- C.M. Wilcox posted a new installment of Quotable Country.
- Dolly Parton’s new record includes a revamped version of Bon Jovi’s “Lay Your Hands on Me.” Parton recently discussed this choice with Entertainment Weekly.
- Members of Dehlia Low have formed the band Tellico. Sign up for the group’s mailing list and get some free music.
- Later this month, Miranda Lambert’s vintage Airstream will visit L.A., Denver, Dallas, Oklahoma City, Chicago, Indianapolis, and Philly, offering select fans a preview of Lambert’s new album, Platinum.
- Lambert will perform at the CMT Music Awards in June along with Luke Bryan, Blake Shelton, Eric Church, Carrie Underwood, and Florida Georgia Line.
- Frank Solivan and Dirty Kitchen play some damn fine bluegrass music and occasionally rescue truckers.
- Rolling Stone shadowed Hunter Hayes during his record-setting string of concerts.
- Jason Isbell and John Paul White contributed vocals to Candi Staton’s “I Ain’t Easy to Love.” Listen here.
- When Neil Young was on The Tonight Show, he performed a version of “Crazy” in Jack White’s Third Man Records recording booth; the song was immediately pressed to vinyl. Check it out.
- Claudia Perry of The Chicago Tribune reviewed Nickel Creek’s Windy City tour stop.
- CMT Edge’s Chris Parton posted Imelda May’s new video for “It’s Good to Be Alive.”
- This week’s album releases:
Dolly Parton – Blue Smoke
Sturgill Simpson – Metamodern Sounds in Country Music
Radney Foster – Everything I Should Have Said
Hellbound Glory – LV
Matt Woods – With Love from Brushy Mountain
Candi Staton – Life Happens
Steven Padilla – Good at Goodbye
Brett Newski – American Folk Armageddon
Melissa Payne – High and Dry
Kathleen Grace – No Place to Fall
Jonny Burke – Jonny Burke
Hannah Aldridge – Razor Wire
Collin Herring – Some Knives
The Civil Wars – Live at Eddie’s Attic
Rascal Flatts – Rewind
Carrie Elkin & Danny Schmidt – For Keeps
Dave Van Ronk – Live in Monterey
- Paige: Oh damn. :( I never commented here and I haven't been listening to any music at all since Thanksgiving (it …
- Dave W.: Just read the news here. Will miss E145 very much - love this site. All the best to you Juli …
- Leeann Ward: Oh, dang! This is real. Farewell to the most generous, informative, quality, intelligent, consistent, ethical country music blog! You …
- bll: Thanks Juli for all the great articles and information; you'll be missed by me and I suss several others. Best …
- Both Kinds of Music: I hope people appreciate the irony that one of the best "Americana" albums is titled Metamodern Sounds in COUNTRY Music.
- Barry Mazor: I would not rule out that possibility..There's a different set of voters involved..
- Dana M: Does anyone else think that Brandy Clark actually has a good chance of winning since this isn't a country awards …
- Juli Thanki: UPDATE: Brandy Clark got a Best New Artist nom. BEST AMERICANA ALBUM: Rosanne Cash -- The River & The Thread John Hiatt -- Terms …
- luckyoldsun: Glenn Campbell is great and I'd love to see him get an award, but the words of that song may …
- Casey Penn: Juli, it was an honor to write for you here on Engine145.com. You're good at what you do, and The …