Americana Award Winners Announced; HoF to Extend Bakersfield Sound Exhibit; Stream New Blind Boys of Alabama & Patty Griffin Song
- The winners of last night’s Americana Awards:
Album of the Year: Old Yellow Moon, Emmylou Harris & Rodney Crowell
Artist of the Year: Dwight Yoakam
Duo/Group of the Year: Emmylou Harris & Rodney Crowell
Song of the Year: “Birmingham,” Shovels & Rope
Emerging Artist: Shovels & Rope
Instrumentalist of the Year: Larry Campbell
Trailblazer Award: Old Crow Medicine Show
Spirit of Americana/Free Speech in Music Award: Stephen Stills
Lifetime Achievement for an Instrumentalist: Duane Eddy
Lifetime Achievement for an Executive: Chris Strachwitz
Lifetime Achievement for Performance: Dr. John
Lifetime Achievement for a Songwriter: Robert Hunter
President’s Award: Hank Williams
- Jewly Hight asks, “With bands like Shovels & Rope reaching bigger audiences, can Americana still claim its underdog status?”
- The Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum is extending the run of The Bakersfield Sound: Buck Owens, Merle Haggard, and California Country. Now the exhibit will run through December 2014. (via press release)
- Marvin Rainwater passed away on Tuesday. He was 88.
- RollingStone.com premiered “Jubilee,” a Blind Boys of Alabama song featuring guest star Patty Griffin. Jordan Lawrence (Nashville Scene) wrote a feature on the gospel group.
- On November 5, Dean Dillon will be honored as a BMI Icon.
- Brian Wright’s Rattle Their Chains is streaming at PerformingSongwriter.com.
- On January 14, Rosanne Cash will release The River & The Thread on Blue Note Records.
- Listen to “Starry Skies,” a track from Laura Cantrell’s next record, No Way There from Here, which is due out in January.
- Rural Rhythm Records recently announced that it has exclusive distribution rights to Jim & Jesse’s Old Dominion masters. The label will release its first Jim & Jesse Old Dominion title in early 2014.
- The new Tennessean music podcast focuses on Chris Pickering.
- There are five Nashville-based reality shows in the works; four of them are focused on music.
- Kenny Rogers was featured in the Nashville Scene. Here’s the music video for Rogers’ new duet with Dolly Parton, “You Can’t Make Old Friends.”
- Carrie Underwood will perform at the Emmys on Sunday as part of a tribute to 1960s television.
- This year’s Grammy Nominations Concert will be held in L.A. on December 6.
- Mindy Smith will release Snowed In, a holiday EP, on October 29.
- The Scud Mountain Boys were featured in The Patriot Ledger.
- Robert Hunter on collaborating with Jim Lauderdale: Jim is the only songwriter I’ve ever found who can keep up with me as far as speed goes. I work quick; he works quick. He can drop over for a couple days and we have an album written. This is almost unheard of. The man is alive with songs. It continually amazes me the way the man can write, so we’ve written a phenomenal amount of songs. We write them, put them out and I listen to them once, which is generally about as much as I can handle when anything comes out that I have anything to do with.
- Heidi Feek’s got a new music video. It stars Caitlin Rose.
- Yonder Mountain String Band is releasing a new EP in October.
- Laura Marling played a couple tunes for The Wall Street Journal.
- Dave W.: Just read the news here. Will miss E145 very much - love this site. All the best to you Juli …
- Leeann Ward: Oh, dang! This is real. Farewell to the most generous, informative, quality, intelligent, consistent, ethical country music blog! You …
- bll: Thanks Juli for all the great articles and information; you'll be missed by me and I suss several others. Best …
- Both Kinds of Music: I hope people appreciate the irony that one of the best "Americana" albums is titled Metamodern Sounds in COUNTRY Music.
- Barry Mazor: I would not rule out that possibility..There's a different set of voters involved..
- Dana M: Does anyone else think that Brandy Clark actually has a good chance of winning since this isn't a country awards …
- Juli Thanki: UPDATE: Brandy Clark got a Best New Artist nom. BEST AMERICANA ALBUM: Rosanne Cash -- The River & The Thread John Hiatt -- Terms …
- luckyoldsun: Glenn Campbell is great and I'd love to see him get an award, but the words of that song may …
- Casey Penn: Juli, it was an honor to write for you here on Engine145.com. You're good at what you do, and The …
- bob: Go Brandy FGL - Just go away.