Americana Award Winners Announced; HoF to Extend Bakersfield Sound Exhibit; Stream New Blind Boys of Alabama & Patty Griffin Song
- The winners of last night’s Americana Awards:
Album of the Year: Old Yellow Moon, Emmylou Harris & Rodney Crowell
Artist of the Year: Dwight Yoakam
Duo/Group of the Year: Emmylou Harris & Rodney Crowell
Song of the Year: “Birmingham,” Shovels & Rope
Emerging Artist: Shovels & Rope
Instrumentalist of the Year: Larry Campbell
Trailblazer Award: Old Crow Medicine Show
Spirit of Americana/Free Speech in Music Award: Stephen Stills
Lifetime Achievement for an Instrumentalist: Duane Eddy
Lifetime Achievement for an Executive: Chris Strachwitz
Lifetime Achievement for Performance: Dr. John
Lifetime Achievement for a Songwriter: Robert Hunter
President’s Award: Hank Williams
- Jewly Hight asks, “With bands like Shovels & Rope reaching bigger audiences, can Americana still claim its underdog status?”
- The Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum is extending the run of The Bakersfield Sound: Buck Owens, Merle Haggard, and California Country. Now the exhibit will run through December 2014. (via press release)
- Marvin Rainwater passed away on Tuesday. He was 88.
- RollingStone.com premiered “Jubilee,” a Blind Boys of Alabama song featuring guest star Patty Griffin. Jordan Lawrence (Nashville Scene) wrote a feature on the gospel group.
- On November 5, Dean Dillon will be honored as a BMI Icon.
- Brian Wright’s Rattle Their Chains is streaming at PerformingSongwriter.com.
- On January 14, Rosanne Cash will release The River & The Thread on Blue Note Records.
- Listen to “Starry Skies,” a track from Laura Cantrell’s next record, No Way There from Here, which is due out in January.
- Rural Rhythm Records recently announced that it has exclusive distribution rights to Jim & Jesse’s Old Dominion masters. The label will release its first Jim & Jesse Old Dominion title in early 2014.
- The new Tennessean music podcast focuses on Chris Pickering.
- There are five Nashville-based reality shows in the works; four of them are focused on music.
- Kenny Rogers was featured in the Nashville Scene. Here’s the music video for Rogers’ new duet with Dolly Parton, “You Can’t Make Old Friends.”
- Carrie Underwood will perform at the Emmys on Sunday as part of a tribute to 1960s television.
- This year’s Grammy Nominations Concert will be held in L.A. on December 6.
- Mindy Smith will release Snowed In, a holiday EP, on October 29.
- The Scud Mountain Boys were featured in The Patriot Ledger.
- Robert Hunter on collaborating with Jim Lauderdale: Jim is the only songwriter I’ve ever found who can keep up with me as far as speed goes. I work quick; he works quick. He can drop over for a couple days and we have an album written. This is almost unheard of. The man is alive with songs. It continually amazes me the way the man can write, so we’ve written a phenomenal amount of songs. We write them, put them out and I listen to them once, which is generally about as much as I can handle when anything comes out that I have anything to do with.
- Heidi Feek’s got a new music video. It stars Caitlin Rose.
- Yonder Mountain String Band is releasing a new EP in October.
- Laura Marling played a couple tunes for The Wall Street Journal.
- Luckyoldsun: I just googled his web-site and Bennett has more than a dozen concerts listed over the next few months--in California, …
- Luckyoldsun: Ray was born in January 1926. As far as I figure, he and Tony Bennett--born in August 1926--were the oldest …
- Juli Thanki: That's my bad -- I didn't add "by the same host." Fixed now. http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/world-records/1/longest-running-weekly-radio-programme-same-host
- mrsandydog: "Last Saturday, 93-year old Oscar Brand broadcast his 68th anniversary show on WNYC-AM. Brand’s “Folksong Festival” is the longest continually …
- Paul W Dennis: John Williamson is correct - the Australians run a real risk of losing what is authentic about their music if …
- Paul W Dennis: As a pure vocalist, Ray Price set the standard for country singers. I saw him a few years ago when …
- Meghan's Megafans: Love love love love Meghan Linsey's "Counting Stars" She is coming out with her own album and it's going to …
- bob: @Arlene. Hal Ketchum's album "One More Midnight" was released in the UK in 2007 and was never released in the …
- Arlene: @Both Kinds of Music- I'm surprised it's happening to an artist with as large a fan base as Dolly's but I'm …
- Both Kinds of Music: Can someone explain why, in this age of instantaneous, Dolly is releasing an album in Australia in January, but waiting …