American Idol Country Night Plagued By Mediocrity And Critics Love New Pam Tillis Album
- Big & Rich canceled their show at San Manuel Indian Bingo and Casino on April 12th. The cancellation was due to a dispute over a young guest.
To accommodate the wishes of an ill 5-year-old girl, a local radio station had arranged for the young fan and her family to meet Big & Rich and see the show. But the casino, which bans anyone under 21, wasn’t notified.
Because the girl was under the age of 21 she wasn’t allowed to enter the casino, which prompted Big & Rich to cancel the show. Approximately 1,600 fans were left waiting for over an hour before anyone told them that the show had been canceled, but Big & Rich did get to spend some time with the girl on the bus. It’s unfortunate that the girl wasn’t allowed into the casino, but it stills seems a little absurd to cancel a show over it. The girl could have met the duo on the bus after the show and still spent time with them.
- USA Today has a special discussing American Idol and how it relates to the country music industry, mainly focusing on Idol contestants Carrie Underwood, Kellie Pickler, Bucky Covington, and Josh Gracin.
- Speaking of American Idol, Robin Givhan has a recap of last night’s Country Night performances and what the judges had to say.
It was country music week with guest mentor Martina McBride. And as all “AI” fans know, Simon hates country music. All those twangy melodies combined with Sanjaya’s wispy vocals and Breck Boy hair shenanigans had Simon so agitated that his head was practically spinning on his neck and pea soup was threatening to come spewing out of his mouth.
I personally thought the whole show was a horrendous tribute to country music, song choices and performances both.
- Twangville calls attention to Adam Hood, whose upcoming release Different Groove is due out on May 8th. After having seen Adam live a couple of times I’m anxiously awaiting this one.
- Pam Tillis’s Rhinestoned (released yesterday) has been getting rave reviews. You can’t beat the five stars awarded by Country Universe blogger, Kevin. A writer for Blogcritics claims that you can “clearly hear the love and attention to detail she put in every track.” And, Slant Magazine brands the album with fours stars.
- Leeann Ward: It was Brad Paisley and its on his Christmas album.
- luckyoldsun: I seem to recall hearing a recording of the Christmas song "Walking in the Winter Wonderland" where the line "In …
- Leeann Ward: For a slow new Christmas music year, the announcement of the Jamey Johnson Christmas EP and the Christmas tracks by …
- chris: That voice singing with Jim Ed is younger sister Bonnie, also a member of the Browns.
- Kev: I saw Jim Ed at the Opry in June and he sounded great then. I certainly look forward to …
- Delica Smith: I've had the blessings of following Mr. JimEd and Helen Cornelius since the mid 70s. I was a amateur …
- Inell: I meant to say you still sound as great as you did when you sang Pop O Top
- Inell: Oh Jim this is an awesome song I will be adding this to the collection of your other records I …
- Arlene: I couldn't agree more with Bonnie Raitt's description of Mavis Staples as a live performer. Forget St. John's wort-- …
- Tom: "...lucinda williams recorded enough material for another album" - better late than never this strike of wisdom.