American Idol Country Night Plagued By Mediocrity And Critics Love New Pam Tillis Album
- Big & Rich canceled their show at San Manuel Indian Bingo and Casino on April 12th. The cancellation was due to a dispute over a young guest.
To accommodate the wishes of an ill 5-year-old girl, a local radio station had arranged for the young fan and her family to meet Big & Rich and see the show. But the casino, which bans anyone under 21, wasn’t notified.
Because the girl was under the age of 21 she wasn’t allowed to enter the casino, which prompted Big & Rich to cancel the show. Approximately 1,600 fans were left waiting for over an hour before anyone told them that the show had been canceled, but Big & Rich did get to spend some time with the girl on the bus. It’s unfortunate that the girl wasn’t allowed into the casino, but it stills seems a little absurd to cancel a show over it. The girl could have met the duo on the bus after the show and still spent time with them.
- USA Today has a special discussing American Idol and how it relates to the country music industry, mainly focusing on Idol contestants Carrie Underwood, Kellie Pickler, Bucky Covington, and Josh Gracin.
- Speaking of American Idol, Robin Givhan has a recap of last night’s Country Night performances and what the judges had to say.
It was country music week with guest mentor Martina McBride. And as all “AI” fans know, Simon hates country music. All those twangy melodies combined with Sanjaya’s wispy vocals and Breck Boy hair shenanigans had Simon so agitated that his head was practically spinning on his neck and pea soup was threatening to come spewing out of his mouth.
I personally thought the whole show was a horrendous tribute to country music, song choices and performances both.
- Twangville calls attention to Adam Hood, whose upcoming release Different Groove is due out on May 8th. After having seen Adam live a couple of times I’m anxiously awaiting this one.
- Pam Tillis’s Rhinestoned (released yesterday) has been getting rave reviews. You can’t beat the five stars awarded by Country Universe blogger, Kevin. A writer for Blogcritics claims that you can “clearly hear the love and attention to detail she put in every track.” And, Slant Magazine brands the album with fours stars.
- Janice Brooks: Hopes somebody gets those memos about drinking songs. Meanwhile I'm feeling a lot of slots with Bluegrass.
- Leeann: Great news about Ricky Skaggs and Sharon White's duet album! Absolutely appalling about the Keith Urban concert!! Both the rape and …
- bob: I found the Billboard article about country music radio needing an alcohol intervention interesting. Songwriter Adam Wright is quoted as …
- Matt: Definitely agree with C.M. about Maddie & Tae. Certainly not the tidal wave of change some claimed it is or …
- Dave D.: Good stuff, as always. My copy of Producing Country arrived yesterday, and it looks to be as good as …
- Scooter: I agree Holly Williams can do no wrong in my eyes. Such a good album and great to see live …
- Carrie Mclaughlin: Your my Hero Mr. Jim Lauderdale!!! Come to Alaska Please? hehehehe
- Jeremy Dylan: You should check it out Dave D. It's from the first (and strongest) season.
- Leeann: Wow! I love that Holly William's cover of "No Surrender"! She's gotten to be so good.
- luckyoldsun: I made it through a minute of that "Girl In a Country Song Video." Man, that sucks.